"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Monday, June 23, 2008

Plan your week now!

Technically, since I quit the day job, summer is one big vacation. But really, with the camps and kids and all that...well, it's just not. I've found summer way busier. It's the varied drop off times at varied locations, coordinating activites, packing lunches, and remembering splash days.

And on a side note - I put water in the inflatable pool yesterday, and the kids played for two hours out there. Right. Two hours. Getting splashed numerous times was a small price to pay.

Since we head to DC (OK, actually Northern Virginia) next Monday, this is my last week to get a ton done. The good news: I finished all workshop critiques I needed to do. So what's on the plate for this week?

1) Get it in gear for my book website content. OK - I need to at least get an outline here of what I want and get some basic planning done so my web designers can start thinking about it.

2) Come up with a first draft for my speech on Goals and Time Management next month for Austin SCBWI. Sure, I know it's summer and tons of people will be on vacation, but I'm still so excited!

3) Three day writing workshop (Friday, Saturday, Sunday). Yay!

4) Plan my three weeks in Virginia.

5) Begin to mail ARCs of The Emerald Tablet out to reviewers.

On the ARC thing, I received the best compliment in the world from one of my critique partners. Her son read the ARC, staying up until 11:00 to finish it, and is ready for the sequel! Talk about making my day!
Kids are the best :)

One final note: Head over and read HipWriterMama's super inspirational quotes for the day! Thanks for the inspiration, HWM!

12 comments:

Caryn said...

Congrats on passing the kid test with your ARC! There are so many books published for kids and young adults that meet the approval of the adults in charge -- the authors' critique partners, an agent, an editor, etc. -- but then fall flat because the kids themselves just don't love them.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Caryn! It is like the best thing to hear. He was the perfect target age, too, which makes it even better :)
Thanks for visiting!

Christine M said...

Just so you know - his sister is loving the book too - and the two of them are discussing the characters and events like kids sometimes discuss the happenings in Harry Potter!

PJ Hoover said...

That's awesome, Chris! It's like a very first book club for The Emerald Tablet!
Thanks so much for telling me :)

TJ Brown said...

Yikes... looks like you have a ton on your plate! Am going to be watching to see how much you get done...
LOL
Teri

PJ Hoover said...

That's assuming I report back on it, Teri!

Vivian said...

That's awesome you finished all those critiques. That was a lot! I would love to hear your speech. One day.

And glad you liked the quotes!

PJ Hoover said...

It was a lot, Vivian, but they went pretty quickly. Ten pages is way less than 20 to critique!
And I'd love to hear your speech on time management and goals!

keri mikulski :) said...

I'm going right now to buy a inflatable pool - 2 hours!!! :) And congrats on your first ARC review. Have a great week!

PJ Hoover said...

I totally recommend the pool, Keri. Two hours is bliss. And it's big enough for me to sit in if I want.
It's just the kids can't help but splash me if I get in. They just can't control themselves.

Amy said...

Technically, since I quit the day job, summer is one big vacation

I almost fell off the chair laughing at this. Summer is anything but restful at our house.

Oh, isn't it wonderful when a kid reads your book and LOVES it?

LOL on the pool....a small pool is just fine for lounging in. And isn't it great what will entertain kids for hours on end?

PJ Hoover said...

I laugh, Amy. I'm way busier than I used to be. Um, how did I use to work another job?????
And I'm so happy someone liked my book!