"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Word of mouth

You know you've been playing Transformers way too long when you start snapping every time your kid opens his/her mouth. So after two hours on Sunday, I set down Prowl (who was mangled beyond belief) and took a break.
"Mom, you're the very best mommy ever."
The snapping was forgiven. The two hours was worth it. We've played more every night since.
Yeah, I love the Transformers.

Here's my proof on spreading the word. Wherever you go, get in the habit of recommending good books to people. If they have kids the same age as yours, tell them what your kids are reading. Bring it up. After all, it makes for more interesting conversation than talking about whether we'll ever get rain in Central Texas.
Here's how you start:
"So what are your kids reading these days?"

So the phone rings the other day. I check the caller ID.
It's the dentist.
I'm thinking it must be a reminder call for a cleaning my husband has scheduled or something. Or they need me to pay a few more thousand dollars for dental work. After all, why else does the dentist call?
But I pick up the phone and it's my hygenist.
"Hey, Tricia, what was the name of those books you were telling me about?"
(This is from two weeks before)
(Her son is the same age as my son and loved the Captain Underpants books).
"Supernatural Rubber Chicken. By Debbie Garfinkle."
She writes it down and says she's heading to the store to buy them right now.
So it works.

Now to get in the habit of covertly suggesting my own book once it comes out without seeming overly pushy.

11 comments:

Christine M said...

Just to let you know - we talked up your book to the children's librarian at our library yesterday. We even showed her the ARC (which we naturally happened to have in the car with us) and she wrote down the title and author. We're doing our bit!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Chris! You guys are awesome!
It's funny how word of mouth and recommendations and stuff really make a huge difference.

laurasmagicday said...

Great idea! I will absolutely do it. Mx, my youngest is reading Unhooked and A Brief History of the Middle East. No fiction, but good reads. Very good reads. If you know any Freshmen in college, she recommends them reading Unhooked.

PJ Hoover said...

Hey Laura, thanks for the recommendations! Non-fiction has come a long way. There are some terrific books out there.

Amy said...

This is a great idea! WOM is really a great seller, I think.

Sheri said...

PJ, this is totally off topic here, but I noticed teh cover to your book has changed... is this true? Tell us about it...

PJ Hoover said...

I agree, Amy! I'm going to employ the book recommendation thing way more!

Hey Sheri, it is changing, and it's almost final, but not quite. But this is pretty close. I love it!

Sheri said...

Yeah, It's cool. I like it. I like the gold towers against the pink with the black border. The colors definitely grabbed my attention.

How exciting!

PJ Hoover said...

The colors are striking! Thanks, Sheri :)

Debby G said...

Wow, thank you for recommending my books!

I should check your blog more often. You just made my day.

PJ Hoover said...

LOL, Debby! I went to a birthday party yesterday and bought your books as presents. And on the airplane today my son kept telling me about some farting dog and a teacher who makes dead dog poems.
And then he read the rest of the trip and I got to read, too (3-year-old fell asleep).
I love kids :)