"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Disney is Spoiling...

...but Six Flags is still fun.

On the writing front, I'm happy to report that for my current WIP, I did the little wordle thing, and the word "Said" did not even appear. Last book it was so big, I could hardly see anything else on the page. Of course, I am in present tense now, but even "says" was tiny - just a little blip off on the side.


As promised, I went through my childhood books, and I want to highlight a few of my favorites or most memorable.



From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg
I loved this book growing up. I wanted to be locked in a museum.
First line:
"Claudia knew that she could never pull off the old-fashioned kind of running away."



(Um, OK, why is Beedle the Bard coming up at the top choice every time I do a search on Amazon. Seriously. Enough people will buy it. They don't have to mess with the search results.)



Mystery of Hurricane Castle by Joan Lowery Nixon
I don't totally remember the story here, but I loved it. A Castle. A storm. Mystery. Anyone remember this one?
First Line:
"The bus stopped with a screech of brakes before the station with the weather-worn sign: Seacliff, Texas."






And, for some reason, I just have to include the following:
The Official Preppy Handbook edited by Lisa Birnbach.
"Look, Muffy, a book for us."
Did I really try to act this way?
First line:
"It is the inalienable right of every man, woman, and child to wear khaki."



Check out a couple things:

The Class of 2k8 blog has some fantastic posts this week. Wonder how a book ever gets that far anyway? We've had posts with Agent Erin Murphy and Editor Andrew Karre so far this week. I can't even wait for what's next!

Tabitha has an interesting post on present tense today. If your interest is peaked by this topic (like mine), hop over and check it out.

Vivian at Hip Writer Mama posted the Last Lecture by Randy Pausch who recently passed away. (I know this has been on other blogs also.) The thing I loved about this speech more than anything was the picture he flashes of the brick wall and says, "Brick walls are only there to show us how much we want something."
Such great advice.

Almost Friday! Believe something great will happen to you this week :)

19 comments:

Christine M said...

OMG - the Preppy Handbook! I have that up in the attic. As well as the Preppy Joke book. I loved all things Preppy - perhaps fueled by the sailing lessons I took around that time!

PJ Hoover said...

Is you old pink and green wardrobe up there with it? And your deck shoes?
I knew we were kindred spirits :)

Alison said...

Oh gosh, I had the Preppy Handbook, too. I was never that preppy, but did have a few requisite Izods... and a crush on a guy with upturned Polo collars. Eek.

Which Six Flags did you go to? Was it violently hot? My original plan was to go to Six Flags in Arlington this weekend (where my parents live), so the kids could use their free tickets that expire on the 10th. My mother talked me out of it because she said there's been a heat index of 109 and people are passing out there and the lines are horribly long, blah blah blah, plus she's not willing to give us a place to stay. She's quite the naysayser... but did offer to buy the kids new tickets if we'd wait until it was cooler. And I usually find San Antonio even hotter. But I'm a little jealous that you went! Growing up, I had passes every year and I love it.

beth said...

*sigh* I love wordle. A friend told me that right clicking on a word (such as "says") will give you the option to delete the word from the image.

So...are you going to post your wordle for us to see??? :)

PJ Hoover said...

LOL, Alison. I has the Izods and the turned up colors myself. The eighties were a scary time!
We hit Six Flags San Antonio. Not crowded at all really, and there was a breeze and clouds. It was actually kind of a perfect day to go. Weird, I know. And they have the water rides and all.
But I think San Antonio is significantly smaller than Dallas.

I didn't know about the deleting word thing, Beth! Thanks! I've printed what I have and looking at it makes me smile. Maybe I'll stop and post some for my books once I get through this WIP. It would be neat to compare them.

Thanks for visiting!

Sheryl said...

"It is the inalienable right of every man, woman, and child to wear khaki."

rotfl!!!!!!!

PJ Hoover said...

It is a pretty cool first line, isn't it, Sheryl? I certainly laughed after reading it. It just sums it all up so nicely!

keri mikulski :) said...

The Mixed Up Files.. I remember that one. :)

PJ Hoover said...

I loved it, Keri! Do kids still read it these days?

Tabitha said...

Wordle! That is way too much fun. Thanks, Beth, for posting about it. :) I've made images of my finished novels, but haven't posted them yet. Hope we get to see yours soon!

PJ Hoover said...

My wordle just makes me happy, Tabitha! Is that how yours are for you?

Angie Frazier said...

I haven't tried Wordle, but i'm too curious not to now! And I am not familiar at all with the Preppy Handbook!! When did that come out?

Shelley said...

Ooooh I think I must've read the Mixed-up Files about ten times as a kid, but I'd forgotten the title until now. Thank you!!

How's your summer?

April Afloat said...

Thanks for checking in on me. I've been a very bad blogger lately. I'm happy to see your creative juices are flowing. I've been taking a much needed break. Right now I'm just waiting fro a revision letter. I'm so glad you'll be a my signing. I'm looking forward to yours! xo ape

PJ Hoover said...

Definitely try Wordle, Angi! It's fun. And the Preppy Handbook came out in 1980 is all of its glory. You must be younger than me :) Or not nearly as preppy.

I know, Shelley, I'd totally forgotten about it, so when I found it, it was kind of like discovering a long lost favorite stuffed animal I'd forgotten. Summer's great! Your little one's triathlon is inspiring!

Breaks are good, April! I took one for most of July. But it's nice to actually be back at it, especially because it's just part of something totally new!
And it's OK to be a bad blogger. Especially during the summer.
See ya soon!

Christine M said...

You ask if kids still read "the mixed up files..." my daughter read that in school a year or two ago. So it's still out there getting read.

And deck shoes. Got to love deck shoes. Not too much in the pink and green wardrobe stuff - but I do have an IZOD alligator I cut off of a shirt - someplace upstairs in a closet.

And the one time I tried Wordle it crashed on me or something. I'll have to try again.

PJ Hoover said...

I'm so glad your daughter read "mixed-up"! I plan to reread very soon. Hmmm... maybe a read aloud? I'll give it a try, and come to think of it, I may try tomorrow.

Vivian said...

Ha! The Preppy Handbook. Those were the days. Though I always managed to bring it down a notch with tie-dyed goodness.

Great posts on the Class2k8 blog!

PJ Hoover said...

Tye-die is awesome, Vivian! It's still a fun thing to do with the kids. If only I could get brighter colors.
So glad you had a nice time at the Cape!
And thanks on the 2k8 posts. I thought they were fantastic this week, also!