"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Friday, July 18, 2008

Five on a Friday

Back to the real world for two days now. I've unpacked, watered the plants, and attempted to get through some of my to-do list.
Here's my five for the week.

1) I'm speaking tomorrow at the Austin SCBWI meeting. If you happen to live in Austin, come by the Westlake Barnes & Noble at 11:00 to hear me try to explain everything I know about goals and time management.

2) Last Sunday we saw Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D. Can you say fabulous? Go see this movie, and when you do, make sure you go to a 3D location (not all are). It's well worth the extra $2 per ticket.

3) The flights home worked like a charm. On the first flight, I looked at my 3-year-old daughter and said, "take a nap," so she lay down on the seat and fell asleep. Wish it always went that easy.

4) Why I love my kids. While heading into the grocery store yesterday, fellow Austin author Mark Mitchell drove by us in the parking lot, stopped, and said hello. While walking away, my kids asked who it was.
I said, "He's this author I know."
My 3-year-old daughter replied, "Mommy, you're an author."
Love those kids.

5) I'm almost at this point where I can wonder what to work on next. Yeah, there's always revisions. I'm thinking these just never go away. But as far as a new project, I have choices. I could go with a book 3 in a series, or go for something completely different. How fun!

Have a great weekend. Get outside. Come to the Austin SCBWI meeting. Set some goals. And have fun!

14 comments:

laurasmagicday said...

AWwww. Your kids are so great! There is something enchanting about the word author.

"Imagine you can achieve anything. Imagine there is no way you will fail. What goal would you pick above all others? "

I SO want to come. I wish there was an aspiring YA novelist portal that would open up in California and let me slipstream through to Austin to hear you! Sounds fabulous:) Very inspirational.

Have a great weekend.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Laura! I wish you could slip through a portal and come also!
And there is something enchanting about the word author! I love it :)

Christine M said...

Five very good things for a Friday. I bet it's nice to back home - it always is, no matter how nice a trip you have.

And your kids are the best!

Vivian said...

You'll do awesome tomorrow! Let us know how it goes!

Jim D said...

Well, mapquest says it'll take 17hrs25min to get there, so unless I speed big time I can't make it. :-(

You'll do great -- have fun with it!

Jim D

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Chris. So true! It was a great trip, but I'm happy to get back into the swing of things.

I will, Vivian. Thanks! It ought to be fun.

Can't you teleport, Jim? After all, you are an engineer, right? We engineers have special powers.

TJ Brown said...

I love having nothing on my plate except playing with ideas. So fun. Have fun speaking today... I am so glad I am just signing!
Teri

beth said...

Don't you love starting something new? The possibilities! That's the best part of writing! :)

PJ Hoover said...

I hope your signing went great, Teri! If I were there, I'd buy your book. Actually I'll buy it anyway :)

I do love the possibilities, Beth! Revisions are one thing, but starting on something new is totally different.

JR's Thumbprints said...

I'm not much for remakes. It seems Hollywood is short on ideas. Yet maybe, just maybe, I'll go see "Journey to the Center of the Earth" in 3D. Thanks for the heads up.

PJ Hoover said...

I know what you mean on the remakes, JR, and it's nothing like the original movie. But it is a fantastic, fast-paced action adventure, and the 3D is awesome.
And just FYI, the original is my favorite all time movie!
Thanks for visiting!

keri mikulski :) said...

How cute.. Kaci only knows me as 'mommy' still. Have a great week! :)

Sheri said...

Hey, welcome home! And good luck in Austin, or should I say, how did it go in Austin, since I think it was this weekend... I am sure you were fabulous! Actually, I wish I could have went. I could use some instruction on setting goals and time management. I have learned so much just from reading your blog, so I imagine it was very informative.

I had mixed feeling about seeing Journey... but now reading that you think it was great, I have to add this one to our definite see list.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Keri! It was darling. Love the kids. They say the best things. And mommy is a great thing to be known as!

I wish you'd been here, too, Sheri! I'd love to meet! And yes, go see Journey.