"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Gratiuitous Photo and Goals

Seeing as how it is DC, I have to start off with a gratuitous DC photo. Here's a picture of some embassy. My cool DC connection (high school friend) took me to Malcolm X Park yesterday, and off to the side was this embassy. Anyone know which one it is?

And a cool shot of Malcolm X Park (aka Meridian Hill). Love the fountains though they smell like river water. And my son commented one area smelled like pee.
Yeah, he was right.

So I realized both last Monday and this one, I've neglected to post my goals for the week. It's not like I have no goals, but I am trying to make the most of this "get away and relax" time. Am I OK with this?
Sure.

It's OK to take a break from goals. The important thing is to make sure it's only a break. And once I get back, it's right back to the usual routine (which I love). And it's not like I'm sitting around doing nothing. There's places to go. People to see. But kind of more unplanned and spontaneous.

I remember Stephen King mentioning he writes every day. I certainly strive for this, and for the most part accomplish it. But with the kids and the visit with the parents and all, for me, I've found what works. Everyone will have a different level of comfort with this.

So what's yours? Take planned breaks? Only write on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday? Write eight hours a day every day?

12 comments:

Christine M said...

I think that flag is the German flag. But it seems like it's upside down.

Sounds like you are having a great vacation!

PJ Hoover said...

So it's an upside down German embassy? Or maybe someone did it as a joke :) If only I were more up on countries around the world!
See ya, Chris!

Jason said...

I try to write 3 days a week, and I try to write 1000 words every day I write. A simple, easy goal that I can accomplish pretty well. It may actually be time to amp up my goals a little more, I can do this one pretty easily.

Stephen King also said he wrote when he'd been hit by that van, which shows he's more dedicated than I. I woulda been laying around hopped up on morphine.

PJ Hoover said...

It's a great goal and good for you that you want to turn it up a notch, Jason!
yeah, i thnk Stephen King was VERY dedicated!
Thanks for visiting!

keri mikulski :) said...

Great pics. Enjoy your break.

I attempt to write everyday and I shoot for 1000 words, unless I'm revising or really busy.

Vivian said...

The summer is so busy now the kids are home, I've considered myself fortunate if I can write 1,000 words a day. For now, I'm going for a half hour a day, and if I can go over the time and get to the 1,000 words, I treat myself to whatever crunchy/salty snack food I can find.

amy said...

My goal is to write every day. It doesn't always work out, and if I hate 5/7 days, I'm pretty happy. A contractual deadline would probably hone my focus to get those last two days in each week.

beth said...

Oh, to write every day.... *sigh* The Dream...

I *try* to write every day. But the reality is, it's usually 3-4 times a week. It depends greatly on where I am on the writing. I have no discipline. NONE. If the writing's going good, I write every day until the writing starts to not go good. Then I slack off and play on the internet and beat myself up mentally. Likewise with editing. I *hate* editing and revising. So even though I finished my most recent WIP...I...er...haven't even begun revising. I should really get on to that...er...gotta go!

Sheri said...

I think when you are on vacation, it is OK to be ON vacation.

But I have been "on" vacation for too long. Writing is like exercising, the longer I stay away from it, the harder it is to get back in to the swing of things...

PJ Hoover said...

Hey Keri! 1000 words is my normal goal on average. Some days I get more. Some less. Luckily there are fewer days with less!

Yay, Vivian! Crunchy/salty snacks are the best. Aside from chocolate of course. Wait - chocolate covered pretzels. Mmmmm...

5 out of 7 days is great, Amy! And I'm sure a contractual deadline will be sometime in the near future to get those extra two days!

Revising works so much better with clear direction, doesn't it, Beth! I've gotten better on the revising (or maybe it's the willingness to revise I've gotten better on). :)

And i am on vacation, Sheri! Funny you mention the exercise analogy. I have a much easier time picking back up on writing than exercising. But when I do start exercising again, it really only takes about a week (or two) and then I'm hooked.

Thanks for stopping by, everyone!

Tabitha said...

I do something writing related every day. Two days a week, I get together with a fellow writer for the sole purpose of writing. It's easier to keep that writing time if you've made a commitment to someone else. :)

It's harder to do something writing-related on the weekends, but I'm using Laurie Halse Anderson's 15 minute writing challenge, and it lets me get in at least 15 minutes every day.

However, if I'm on vacation, all this goes out the window. :)

PJ Hoover said...

I love the idea of getting together with another writer twice a week, Tabitha! What a great thing. Do you guys talk at all, or is it strictly writing?