"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Monday, July 21, 2008

I'm ready to set my Goals!

It's funny. Just getting the speech together made me excited to rework my goals. I'm looking forward to cleaning my office (after asking myself the dreaded question, "What kind of person works in here?")
Yep, time to clean.

My speech Saturday went great. It was a fantastic turnout (about 40 people), and given this is the middle of summer, it's even better. Everyone seemed happy to work on their goals, and share their own tips on time management.



Special thanks to Tim Crow, our Austin SCBWI Regional Advisor) for having me, and to my publisher, Miriam Hees, and my editor, Madeline Smoot, for coming! Madeline brought my book jacket to show off at the end of the meeting, and Miriam asked the nice question, "Why don't you tell us about your book?" And thank you to everyone who came! I really appreciate it :)

My personalized fruit rollups (with title and author as tongue tattoos) went over well, and some even dared to use try to tongue tattoos on themselves.



After the meeting was lunch at La Madeline with Madeline, Greg and Cynthia Leitich Smith, Anne Bustard, Carmen Oliver, and Brian Anderson. If you happen to get Highlights, check out the July issue for a fantastic answer to why mood rings change color by Brian Anderson (you may also know him as the author of the great Zack Proton books.

You can read about my speech at Carmen Oliver's blog and Alison Dellenbaugh's blog.

And here's a rather orange photo I snagged from Alison's blog of me with author Mark Mitchell.



So plan your goals, and have a great Monday!

21 comments:

Christine M said...

Congrats on a successful day! Sounds like fun.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Chris! It was fun which is the best part!

Monkey Dreams said...

So sad I missed it as I am desperate for some goals and suppport in my novel writing. I wonder, are there any informal groups of people around Austin writing novels that would get together and hold each other accountable for meeting chapter deadlines, etc.? I'd like to be one of them.

Working Mom said...

I'm sorry I missed the fruit rollups. I suppose that's what I get for crashing a meeting and showing up late! I witnessed lots of people jotting down goals. You did a great job; your audience was very engaged in your presentation.

beth said...

Sounds like an awesome presentation! I just joined SCBWI last year, and it's really been worth it...although sometimes I wish I lived somewhere a little more active (read: populated...the goats that used to live next door moved, so now all I've got next door is GRASS!)

PJ Hoover said...

Hi Monkey Dreams! Too bad you missed it also! One of the best ways for goals and support in writing is to join a critique group. I've found my critique group to not only be supportive of my writing, but of my whole life in general. Austin SCBWI has that open critique which meets before the monthly meetings, and there may be some open groups Tim Crow may know about. Or you could even start your own!
Thanks for stopping by!

Thanks, Working Mom. I'll try to save a couple of the fruit rollups for you and give them to you this weekend. And thanks for saying I did a great job! If I looked like a complete goober, please don't tell me!

I'm really fortunate to live in Austin, Beth. We have a super strong SCBWI group here. So many great people and such wonderful support. So now that the goats are gone, who do you bounce ideas off of?

laurasmagicday said...

Custom fruit roll ups? Amazing:) I love it. Ok, I promise I'll rustle up me some goals today! Thanks for the inspiration. Looks like a fab day.

PJ Hoover said...

Well, you are moving into a hobbit house, so that sounds pretty amazing to me, Laura! Maybe I'll make our clubhouse round.

Barrie said...

Glad it went well! And...I want to hear more about those fruit roll-ups!

keri mikulski :) said...

Wow - looks like a great day! :)Thanks so much for sharing. :)

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Barrie! Fruit roll ups are not only healthy, they're fun! (Do I sound like an advertisement?). I actually think they do count as one serving of fruit.

Thanks, Keri! It was a fun day. Our Austin crowd is super!

Sheri said...

Fantastic! Sounds like you were charged up and excited which is so contagious.

Love the fruit roll up idea! An original concept for a one-of-a-kind gal!

PJ Hoover said...

Goals are so exciting, Sheri! And you are such a sweetheart!

Vivian said...

I was wondering about how your presentation went. Sounds awesome. Great idea about the fruit rollups--I bet you had people eating out of your hand!

PJ Hoover said...

People did get a kick out of the Fruit Rollups, Vivian! And it was a very receptive crowd! And so nice :)
Thanks for visiting!

carla said...

fun and SO GLAD the rollups turned out.

Anonymous said...

Tricia-

How exciting! My gosh, Miriam looks great! I was reading about your event on Cynthnia's LJ post. Fun idea on treats to give out. It sounds like you guys have one great regional SCBWI!

Wish I could have gone! You'll have to send us notes on your talk!

Kim

Jessica Burkhart said...

Great pics!! I love the fruit rollups. :)

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Carla! Thank you for the fruit rollups! Mizfit was represented in spirit.

Hey Kim! We do have a great SCBWI. Not sure what it is about Austin, but there seem to be lots of creative types here. I wish you could have gone too! Then we could finally meet :)

Thanks, Jessica! Fruit roll ups are a favorite at my house.

Jim D said...

40 people -- WOW!

Great turnout. Had my teleporter been working,it could have been 41.

Jim D

PJ Hoover said...

Maybe next time, Jim! I'm sure you have just a couple last minute adjustments to make to it before it works perfectly :)