"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Seriously. Go Buy This Book.


I just finished up How Not to be Popular by Jennifer Ziegler. Really, I had a hard time putting it down. If it weren't for the kids clambering on the plane and needing my attention and all, I would have finished it before arriving in DC. But, yeah, kids need attention, so it had to wait until bedtime.

I loved it. I must've laughed out loud thirty different times. And no, I'm not just saying this because I want Jen to be my friend :) (though she was in attendance at the Awesome Austin Writer's Workshop this past weekend and is way awesome and totally popular).

The book is rife full of perfect little clever treasures.

My two favorites:
"And Carter gave them the tuba he stopped playing when he got braces."
"Of course, it's hotter than a convection oven outside..."

Yeah, in context, these are hilarious!

Loved it. Go buy it.
---

On a vacation side note, we're off to Mount Vernon today (a mile from my parent's house here). They actually live on land once owned by George himself. We're all about the patriotism and the soft serve ice cream around here.

16 comments:

Patty P said...

Excellent! Another must read for my summer vacation! I have a few now, but at the top of my list is The Emerald Tablet. Thanks so much for this. My first ARC. Sigh.
Have a great vacation.

Jason said...

Hope you're having a great vacation. I've always wanted to see DC, especially the Lincoln Memorial.

PJ Hoover said...

It was great, Patty! You will love it. But I am glad The Emerald Tablet ARC is at the top of the list! You are so so so welcome!

I am having a great time, Jason! Thanks for asking. You know the original design for the Lincoln Memorial was a pyramid. I'll take a picture just for you!

Dawn Buthorn said...

Looks like a great book-I'll add it to my ever growing list.

Jason said...

Thanks PJ! That'll be awesome to see!

Alison said...

Cool, I ordered this book & Shana's book yesterday and was so glad to see they've already been shipped.

As for your book...are you planning an awesome launch party? Here's hoping!

PJ Hoover said...

It was great, Dawn. So exactly my kind of book (and not even sci-fi or fantasy).

Yes, Alison! A way awesome launch party. Must schedule it when I get back in town.

keri mikulski :) said...

I've been wanting to pick up a copy of this book. Thanks for reminding me.. Off to Amazon. :)

Sheri said...

Oh you are so close to my neck of the woods. I mean, about 3 hours away... But to think, we could have maybe met...

Washington DC is great. Have a lot of fun adn enjoy our country's history...

The book you just read, is it YA or adult?

I just finished the Killing Sea last night - about the Tsunmi that hit Indonesia/Thialand a few years ago. It was OK.

I am onto Olive's Ocean next - a MG Newberry award winner. Have you read that one?

PJ Hoover said...

Oh, I hope you do get it, Keri! It's fantastic!

Yes, I am close, Sheri! Maybe next time???? One of my critique group members lived in NJ, too, and I need to meet her!
How Not to Be Popular is YA though there wasn't anything edgy in it at all.
I have not read Olive's Ocean! Please let me know how it is!

See ya!

Amy said...

Adding it to the list....

PJ Hoover said...

Good, Amy! It was a great read!

jenniferziegler said...

P.J.! You are such a sweetheart. I sit down with coffee this morning wanting to get caught up on friends' blogs ... and there's HNTBP staring me in the face. Whoa. Cool. So circle of life.

You made me blush and tear up at the same time! I'm so happy you like it. And it doesn't have kick-butt action scenes a la P.J. Hoover!

Again, thanks. I'm all "aww-shuck-y" now.

Hope you are enjoying your vacation. Hey, I could use that eraser, btw. Will it fit in your carry-on? :-)

Miss you!

Jennifer

PJ Hoover said...

Your book rocked, Jenny. We have to talk more about it off line :) OK, I'll stop embarrassing you. And yes, the giant mental eraser could come in very handy. But I think I'd have to sneak it past security.
See ya!

Tabitha said...

I've heard great things about this book, but now I need to just go get it. :) Thanks for pushing me over the proverbial edge. :)

PJ Hoover said...

You have to get it, Tabitha! I loved the humorous tone underlying the whole thing. Jenny Z. seems to pull it off so naturally.