"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Friday, August 15, 2008

Five on a Friday

Only two parties this weekend. I'm wondering why so many people have birthdays in the summer? Let's see...nine months ago from August is November. Thanksgiving?

Five for my week:

1) Are The Biscuit Brothers known countrywide? They are huge here in Austin, but I wonder if people in other parts of the country have heard of them?
You wonder why I ask? I'm fortunate enough to be part of the upcoming Hill Country Book Festival, and they recently came out with the schedule. Guess who gets to read from The Emerald Tablet just after The Biscuit Brother's performance?
So excited! If you happen to live in Austin, it's October 11th at the Georgetown Public Library.


2) I finally designed business cards this week with the cover of The Emerald Tablet on them. Still need to make it to Kinkos to get them printed, but they look way cool. I love Photoshop!
What do you think?


3) Awesome playdate yesterday. My 7-year-old son, my 3-year-old daughter, and an awesome little 7-year-old girl who is much of a tomboy like my daughter. The three kids played fantastically for five hours. They never excluded the little one. There was absolutely no arguing. None.
I spent the time cleaning my office! It's one of those things I've been putting off forever. Now to make it to Wal-mart to get some more little clear storage bins.

4) Get ready to shudder, Kelly. Why are my daughter's favorite books The Berenstein Bears? Her two current favorites: The Bad Dream and The Ghost of the Forest.
And that Sister Bear sure is a smart one. The only one smarter than her is Mama.


5) Our trashcan reeked last night, so I took it out of the garage and put it in the driveway. Yep, you guessed it. A raccoon was in there when I went to get something out of the car. I put a rock on the top (OK, I got my husband to), but I'm wondering what it will look like out there when I check this morning.

OK, off to start the day! Must get to the bookstore to buy birthday party presents (yes, books are always a great present). Suggestions for a 7-year-old girl?

Happy Friday all around!

17 comments:

beth said...

I've not heard of the Biscuit Brothers, but that does sound like an awesome event!

Speaking of business cards, have you looked into VistaPrint.com? They make the first 250 of them for free; it was a pretty good service and much cheaper than the stores I looked at.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Beth! It should be a fun day all around!
I checked Vistaprint and some others but what I found is if you pre-buy fancy paper at a paper store (for WAY cheaper) and bring it to Kinkos for them to print on, it ends up being about the same.
And I have no patience :)
Thanks for the suggestion!

Lapillus said...

Sounds like a lot of fun coming your way! Enjoy it!

Love the business cards!

Kelly said...

*Shudder*

Although, honestly...no skin off my back. My youngest has outgrown the BBs :) I just feel sorry for you...they get longer and more boring the more often you read them! Get that kid reading: Save yourself :)

(I know she's only 3, but the Berenstain Bears!)

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Casey! I thought the cards came out well, too. And when I saw the printed sample, I loved it!
Now to hand them out to every human I know...

Funny enough, Kelly, at least the rhyming ones I can kind of blend into and read without thinking too much. And imitating the different bears' voices can be fun. Mama is all nagging sounding and Papa doesn't know anything.

Christine M said...

Haven't heard of the Biscuit Brothers - but sounds like a great event.

The business cards look great.

Gifts for seven-year-old girls: in the book line: Baby Mouse books

other: FurReal pets?

have a great weekend

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Chris! And thanks for the great gift ideas. I'll be at B&N tomorrow, so I'll pick something up there.

Library Beast said...

Have fun with the Biscuit Brothers. I prettymuch like anybody with a banjo.

Tabitha said...

Cool business cards!! :)

I'm with ya on the birthday party thing. We've got *another* party this weekend, but at least I don't have to make the cake. :) But I do still need to pick up a present. Guess I better get on that. :)

PJ Hoover said...

Banjos are pretty cool. Such a great sound. Thanks for visiting, Library Beast!

I just picked up the biz cards and they look so pretty in cute little color real life, Tabitha!
I'm totally a store buying cake person. I have them leave it simple and dress it up with sprinkles and whatever else suits the occasion.
Plus none of my friends have offered to make me a guitar cake!

Thanks for visiting!

Jim D said...

August birthdays abound in my family. Wife on the 7th and sons on the 9th. (That leaves my daughter and me, who are 6 days apart in May.)

As for the Biscuit Brothers -- I haven't heard of them. I'll be tied up that day with a great Illinois-SCBWI program titled "What the Heck is an Online Presence and Why Do I Need One?", so I won't be making the trek to Texas to see you and them on the same venue.

PJ Hoover said...

So what the heck is an online presence, Jim, and how can I get one? Email me or send me a message on Facebook or Myspace or contact me through my website to let me know :)

Angela said...

Love the business card!

7 year old girl, hmm. What are those internet pet things called that all the girls seem to like up here...*rummages in brain* Webkins! They've been out for a long time here, but still popular. You could try one of those.

Ghost Girl said...

Your card looks fabulous! And have a blast reading from your book. How exciting!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Angela! I actually gave out a couple cards today. I love them!
I'm thinking arts and crafts now. Must make a Michaels run in the morning before the party.

Thanks, Ghost Girl! I think reading from the book will be fun. And I'm thinking Chapter one. What better place to start?

Thanks for visiting!

Amy said...

Sometimes we still read The Berenstain Bears B Book.... even the teen listens in with a smile.

Great business cards. I love Photoshop, too. I just wish I had it for my Mac instead of my old Windows machine.

PJ Hoover said...

Photoshop for the Mac would be nice, Amy! But then I'd need a huge Apple screen to go along with it. Hmmm...