"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Friday, August 22, 2008

Five on a Friday

It's the last week with both kids home. And I loved something my husband said yesterday. "The kids seem happier." It gives validity to my decision to quit the day job. )

Here's five for the week:

1) Happy 40th Birthday to my husband today. He gets the day off work and everything!

2) I want to share a quote I love given to me by my dad. When faced with an unpleasant task which was to take over a month, he once knew a young southern boy in the Air Force who said, "Hell, boys, Ah could stand on mah head in a bucket of shit for that long if I had to."
Love that attitude!

3) On critiquing - I love the 20 pages at a time thing, but also totally love the idea of manuscript swaps! It's so nice to be able to see the bigger picture.
And, after reading a historical fiction by a friend, I now love the Revolutionary War period! Who'd have thought that was possible? Great job, Friend!

Sidenote: Anyone grow up in the original colonies area? Did you love that when going to school, your local history was also national history. I moved to Texas and wondered why everyone knew about The Alamo except me?
It reminds me of something I read once. You know you're from Northern Virginia when your local news is the same as the national news.

4) We headed to see The Mummy 3 yesterday. Talk about a perfect movie experience. Nobody even had to go to the bathroom in the middle.
As for the quality of the movie, it was about as expected. Entertaining. High Action. Adventure.
But yeah, you watch it and start to see where the script writer said, "We need to give this character motivation." And so the character spouts off a motivational line of dialog so that item can be checked off the list.
There was a ton of this in The Mummy 3.
"Son, you will go back to college."
"I will have my revenge."
"Oh, my life has gotten so boring."
Note to self: Do not do this in my writing.
Sidenote: We saw another trailer for Beverly Hills Chihuahua and loved it again. There is something just so cute about this upcoming movie!

5) Can I just say it one more time?
Time between revisions.
Invaluable.

So that's it for my week! Hope everyone had a great one, and celebrate the weekend!

23 comments:

Tabitha said...

#2 - LOL!!! My sides are hurting from laughing so hard!

And you're so right; gotta love that attitude! :)

C.R. Evers said...

I didn't grow up in the original colonies area, but I live about 4 hours from that area now. I hope my kids will get a lot out of it. I'm not in school anymore, but I loooove to visit Williamsburg and other historic area's. It's a great way to make history come alive, even for an old foggie. :0)

Christy

PJ Hoover said...

It is a great attitude, Tabitha! And so funny, I had to share even with the bad words :)

Your kids will get a ton out of it, Christy! In fact, they will be spoiled rotten by it such that when/if they move elsewhere and there is nothing to see, they'll be like, "What? Aren't there any real museums in this city?"

Thanks for visiting!

Vivian said...

Yay! for your decision to quit the day job! Happy Birthday wishes to your husband, love the quote, the manuscript swap is an awesome idea--by the way, OMG, awesome!.

Enjoy the day, and I think I'm going to start doing this Five on a Friday, as soon as I can think of something good!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Vivian, on all accounts! And you should definitely do a Five on a Friday! I'd look forward to it!

Christine M said...

Happy Birthday to your husband!

And I agree the manuscript swap was great - it gave me some great reading the other day :)

I'm really glad you liked the story!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Chris! I really loved the story. I keep thinking about it and how cool and what a unique perspective it is!

Sheri said...

I live in a part of the east where Washington fought most of his battles and where he crossed the Delaware on Dec 25, so Colonial history has always been living history for me. And I just love living in a part of America that is very old and historical.

I agree about the 20 pages vs. script swap. Right now I don't want anyone to read my WIP until it's done and then I would really love to do a script swap with my group. I need someone to read it and look for certain things that are only apparent when read altogether.

Sheri said...

I live in a part of the east where Washington fought most of his battles and where he crossed the Delaware on Dec 25, so Colonial history has always been living history for me. And I just love living in a part of America that is very old and historical.

I agree about the 20 pages vs. script swap. Right now I don't want anyone to read my WIP until it's done and then I would really love to do a script swap with my group. I need someone to read it and look for certain things that are only apparent when read altogether.

PJ Hoover said...

There is so much you can gain from seeing the big picture with a manuscript, and also so much you can gain from the 20 pages at a time! I love critiquing, Sheri!
And next time I'm near, I need to visit NJ. After all, isn't it just across on the ferry?

laurasmagicday said...

"Hell, boys, Ah could stand on mah head in a bucket of shit for that long if I had to."

I LOVE your dad.

Happy birthday to your hubby too! Hope you have a great celebration.

Time passes so quickly! So great that you feel good about making the choice to spend more time with the kids.

PJ Hoover said...

It is a great quote, isn't it, Laura!
Thanks for the soap, BTW! I keep meaning to send you an email (will do tonight).

And thanks everyone for the birthday well wishes!

beth said...

I love how you get different perspectives with different levels of swapping. One group I'm in swaps a chapter at a time--I get a lot more on language with that group. Another swaps 50 pages at a time--I get a lot more on plot. It's cool, and I like getting both perspectives.

Jim D said...

I think I'll tape that quote (#2)on the seat in front of me on the train every day next week -- it'll motivate me and .... give me some interesting reactions from those around me!!

Jim

PJ Hoover said...

Different perspectives are great, Beth! I find each member of our critique group contributes a totally different insight into stuff!

It would certainly spark conversation, wouldn't it, Jim! Let me know how it goes!
Does that mean you don't like commuting?

Thanks for visiting!

Marcia said...

So much good stuff in this post! My own father would have LOVED #2. I'm from the Midwest but have been to the original colonies area three times (New England). I'm awed that they have 200 more years of European (my background) history than we do. Just think if I ever went to Europe and saw a real castle or something!

PJ Hoover said...

It would be awesome to see really old history, wouldn't it, Marcia! I need to make it to Europe for sure!

Devon Ellington said...

I agree. I love time between revisions. It allows me to read the manuscript with a more objective eye, as though someone else wrote it.

And I'm a huge believer in no day job.

PJ Hoover said...

It is almost like someone else wrote it, isn't it, Devon! I love that feeling! Especially when I think "Hey, this isn't too bad!".

Thanks for visiting!

keri mikulski :) said...

Wow, PJ.. Kudos to you for following your dream, quitting your day job, and siding with your heart! And Happy Birthday, PJ's hubby!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Keri! Life has been good to me!

Patty P said...

Whole manuscript critiques are a gift. Nothing compares to seeing the whole picture.
Great new cover for Emerald Tablet BTW! Love it!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Patty! I love the cover, too! I CAN'T WAIT to see the real things!
Welcome back to the world!