"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Five on a Friday

It seems to be that time of the week again. Friday! (OK, actually Thursday night here, but with my 3-year-old home this week who knows when I'd get my Friday post up).

I hope everyone had a great week! Here's my five:

1) Is this the best kind of phone call?
The phone rings. I see on the caller ID it's my 7-year-old's friend (yeah, a girl). But when I say hello, it's not her, it's her 12-year-old brother. Their dad works at the school, and I'd given them an advanced reader of The Emerald Tablet.
The 12-year-old says, "Hey, you know this book you gave us."
Um, yeah, I know it really well. "Yeah?"
"I just wanted to let you know I'm reading it and it is fantastic! It's the first book I haven't wanted to stop reading!"
OK - now this makes me feel so super, tears spring to my eyes.
And this points out an amazing thing I've forgotten about middle school kids. They're going through such a big adjustment in life, but they're still at the age when they do super sweet things like this.

2) There's nothing like pets.
I put fresh food in for the tortoises and they rush over (yes, they do rush) within a minute to start chomping away. It makes me feel so appreciated, what with their cute little tortoise eyes looking up at me.
I made eggs and toast for the kids, and the only one who eats any of it is the dog who's thrilled to get the eggs.

3) I'm headed to the Round Rock Barnes & Noble on Saturday for April Lurie's book signing. She'll be signing her (what I know is) fantastic novel The Latent Powers of Dylan Fontaine from 2-4. If you live in Austin, head over and pick up your autographed copy. I bet it would make a perfect present for that special teen in your life.
If you don't live in Austin, don't fret! You can order it off Amazon!

4) I sewed panels on a bed skirt on Tuesday. Talk about one of those tasks I am really happy to have behind me. My mom made the panels, and I sewed them on.
If only I could have teleported her here to sew them on for me.
But, just to emphasize, I am so glad I didn't procrastinate and that it's done!

5) We've got a week of plot development ahead in the critique group! That's right - for the week, all we're going to do is focus on plot/characters/premise. And we're doing a first page analysis, too. Does the first page hook you? Have conflict?
This is the old "sharpening the saw" thing. You'll cut wood a lot better if you take time to sharpen your saw.

Do you guys just love the blogging community? I do!

Have a great weekend! We have Cub Scouts popcorn sales to look forward to here. Ah, popcorn...
And Tuesday, my daughter starts at her new preschool!

18 comments:

TJ Brown said...

You ... sew?

The mind boggles.
Teri

Carrie Harris said...

Congratulations on the phone call! I've obviously never gotten one like this, but it seems to me that a call like that would make it ALL worthwhile. If I wasn't already excited to read your book, I would be now!

PJ Hoover said...

LOL, Teri! I sew for survival. Button comes off? I'm all over it. Batman costume gets a tear? I patch it up! The bed skirt was...let's just say it's done!

Thanks Carrie! It was such a darling phone call and really made me feel like all this writing stuff is actually reaching out to people! I loved it!

Lapillus said...

Aw that phone call was so sweet. Congrats on the great feedback!

Oh, and have fun plotting with your group!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Casey! I'm totally excited about the plotting exercise - especially with the group support. It is something that is so easy to put off! But not with the group watching :)

Gottawrite Girl said...

I love the blogging community -- that said, PJ, a monumental & eternal thank you for fixing my link in "Buried in the Slushpile." I was so excited! I printed a "Buried" screen shot to frame. I know. But I can't help it.

O the day that that a future-book of mine gets a non-related youngster to call and rave. Excellent.

PJ Hoover said...

Hey Susan! Thanks! But I don't think I fixed it! I think that was Beth!
Too funny on the non-related youngster. Yes, the ones we're related to do have a certain obligation, don't they!

Thanks for visiting!

Christine M said...

Good job on the sewing!

I'm looking forward to the plotting exercise - but I'm also looking ahead at the weekend and thinking - when am I going to get to it!

And what an awesome phone call.

PJ Hoover said...

Ditto on the when, Chris! Sigh. Maybe Sunday will present a wonderful opportunity. Is it really Friday already!
And thanks!

Jim D said...

Cool phone call, love the blogging community and I bet your daughter will love preschool!

Jim D

Kelly said...

Wow, great stuff, Tricia--a fantastic phone call, the blog world (agreed: great), and a new preschool. Sounds like a good week!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Jim! Now I just need to get my Haiku butt in gear. I love Haiku! Really! I want to incorporate this!
And so excited about the preschool.

Thanks, Kelly! The blogging world is amazing. Each and every day it makes me happy to be a part of it! And the phone call was so cute and sweet!

Have a great weekend!

Barrie said...

That was a GREAT phone call!

PJ Hoover said...

It was a great phone call, Barrie! Thanks! Are you getting excited for December???

Marcia said...

This all sounds great, PJ -- good things perking on many fronts! -- but #1 is priceless. What a treat, what a compliment.

PJ Hoover said...

#1 was priceless, Marcia! How sweet is that!
Thanks for visiting!

Don Tate II said...

Congratulations to the daughter on starting a new preschool! And thanks for reminding me, we probably have cub scout pop corn to sell, too.

Word verification: gookie! Cool.

PJ Hoover said...

Popcorn went well, Don! I think we sold 14 boxes! And watching the kids try to sell it is teaching me how to market my books. I'm thinking I'll set a table up outside Walgreens and get the kids to pitch it to people.