"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Jen Robinson Review and Sleepovers

So, yay! Jen Robinson read The Emerald Tablet! And liked it! And posted a review about it here. You can pop over and read the whole review, but you know I can't help but post my favorite line(s):

"The Emerald Tablet is a very appealing mix of adventure, speculative science fiction, and middle school camp drama. I enjoyed it as an adult, but I know that I would have adored it as an 11-year-old. In truth, ever since I finished it, The Emerald Tablet has been popping back into my head, as I wonder what's going to happen to Benjamin and his friends going forward. Highly recommended for later elementary and middle school readers, boys and girls, fans of traditional fantasy or not."

Thanks so much, Jen! You rock!

In other news, sleepovers are the death of writing. I'm sure there's lots of fodder going on if conversations are eavesdropped upon, but when it comes down to actually trying to write after bedtime...not happening. Is there even a bedtime?
My three-year-old thought she was part of the sleepover. After all, why wouldn't the seven-year-old boys want her around?
So I brought her in my office and pretended we were having our own sleepover (with me typing, of course). But after revising about ten words, I gave up the fight and tried to get everyone to fall asleep. Revisions can wait for today.

Thanks for all the great opinions on the whole s*x thing yesterday. I found them super helpful!

13 comments:

Lapillus said...

What a great review! Your book sounds like a ton of fun. I'll definitely be buying a copy come October!

Thank you for the kind comment on my blog, also. I really appreciate it! Writers are fabulously supportive that way.

PJ Hoover said...

I find the blog world amazing, Casey. It's like I have a group of best friends I've never met!
And thanks for the nice words about my book :)

Sheri said...

How did I miss the s*x talk? I agree, write what you write and revise accordingly.

Not much can get done when you have sleepovers, just know that from now on and don't plan anything else. It does get better as they get older.

My older daughter and her friends (middle school) are pretty quiet at sleepovers - FINALLY. But my younger - 4th grade - they still giggle till late at night. You need to threaten with "Don't make me drive so-and-so home, 'cause I will..."

Sheri said...

Oh - how could I forget! Great review! Congrats!!!

PJ Hoover said...

How did you miss the s*x talk? I figured everyone liked to talk about that!
Great attitude on the sleepovers. Low expectations.
And thanks about the review!

Tabitha said...

Fantastic review! All these reviews and talk about your book has me itching to read it. But Amazon won't let me do more than pre-order it. :P :)

My kids aren't quite to the sleepover age, but I can imagine you'd get nothing done during that time. :) Great idea for your three-year-old though. They just love "special" stuff like that. :)

PJ Hoover said...

Pre-orders are still good, Tabitha! Thanks! And you're right on about the 3-year-old. She needs such special attention when my older one's friends are around.
See ya!

Angela said...

congrats on the great blog review
Reviewed Here First

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Angela!

Jim D said...

Congrats on another great review!

Bet you can't wait for The October release.

As for the s*x descussion -- I can't wait to see where your writing is headed, which translates to I need to get at it with revisions -- I miss reading FFW material.

Jim D

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Jim! Yes, you definitely need to get at it with revisions! We miss you!

keri mikulski :) said...

Congrats on the review! :) I feel your pain. Family is visiting this week and my almost three-year-old is insane and not sleeping. :)

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Keri! Mine used to such great sleepers, but summer has kind of destroyed that. It's that daylight savings stuff!