"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Monday, September 22, 2008

Can I just write already?

Don't get me wrong. I love all this marketing stuff. I enjoy spending hours on end making school visit brochures and bookmarks in Adobe Photoshop. I think it's fun filling in interview questions (because, seriously, who doesn't want to be interviewed?). I love playing with PowerPoint.

And a funny side note on the PowerPoint thing: For my presentation in Oklahoma I added a few subliminal messages in the presentation using the ancient Lemurian Alphabet. Things like "Read The Emerald Tablet" and such. The problem is I uploaded the presentation to someone else's machine - someone who doesn't have this nice special font installed. So instead of cryptic letters, my full-on subliminal messages showed up big as day.
On a positive note, it did provide for some humor in the presentation.
And thankfully, there were no messages like "PJ Hoover is awesome" or "Buy 100 copies of my book" hidden in there.
Lesson learned here - create a JPEG and use that next time rather than just using the text. No matter what.

Anyway today I need to write. There's this WIP I have going on, and I need to add a scene (or two). It's part of a larger revisions. There will be many revisions going back focusing on other things. And nothing is pressing that must get finished today. Or if there is, please don't tell me about it until tomorrow.

One final thing.
My book release party is scheduled!!!!! If you live in Austin, please come!
When: Sunday, October 26th, 2008. 4:00pm
Where: BookPeople, Austin, TX

I'll try not to blog ad nausaeum (how do you spell this word) about it until them.
Oh, wait, as Yoda says, "There is no try. Only do."
So does this mean I will blog tons about it or not. Your guess.

25 comments:

Carrie Harris said...

I'll be at your book release party in spirit, since it's a little too far to drive from Mich. And I'll probably still be chuckling about your "secret" messages. :)

Beth Kephart said...

Alas, I am a Philly girl.

But I'll send you mental party favors.

PJ Hoover said...

In spirit is good, Carrie! But if you drive, think of all the audiobook listening you could do.
Yeah, I'm still chuckling about the secret messages too.
"Drink Coca Cola"

I love mental party favors, Beth! Do you get them in bulk from Oriental Trading Company?

Happy Monday!

Christine M said...

Maybe we'll have our own little release for you here - since Texas is a bit far for this Jersey girl to travel for a day. Wish we could be there though!

PJ Hoover said...

The Texas/Jersey drive is a doozy, Chris. A separate or virtual release is perfect!
:)

Marcia said...

I hope your party is a great success. I absolutely love the title of this post, though. Once we publish, the need to balance promo and writing is a whole different thing.

PJ Hoover said...

I know, Marcia! I've been playing catch up from summer the past few weeks but have room to breath now for a while. I love writing during the day!

Amy said...

Love the font! And a small LOL on the change in your presentation. But I'm sure you rolled with it and it was fantastic!

Jenny Meyerhoff said...

I wish I could be there! I'm sure it's going to be fantastic!

And I'm not just saying that because of the subliminal message in your post! ;)

PJ Hoover said...

I certainly tried to roll with it, Amy! Let's hope the audience found it amusing!

You caught the message, Jenny! Does that mean you ran out and pre-ordered 20 copies?

Thanks for visiting, everyone!

C.R. Evers said...

LOL! glad you can have a sense of humor when things don't go "perfect." (if there is such a thing)

Have a great release party and blog about it as much as you want. It's your party and you'll blog if you want to! :0) You know what????? I think all your online friends that can't attend should have a blog party to commemorate the release of The Emerald Tablet! I'm in!

Christy

TJ Brown said...

LOL I bet the presentation went great! And I know... I just want to write already.
Teri

Angela said...

Get out there and write, Missy!

And yay on the upcoming release party! You'll have to give us all the details, and pics!

Caryn Caldwell said...

How funny! Loved the story of your subliminal messaging gone wrong. Sounds like your publicity efforts have worked well, though, if you're making so many school visits.

Vivian said...

We're gonna want the details (of all things book release party related). I'm just saying.

Good luck with the revisions. Can't wait to see what happens!

PJ Hoover said...

LOL, Christy! It's like a wedding cake falling on the ground but not nearly so bad!
Blog Party! Great idea! I'll have to start brainstorming. :)

And writing is what it's all about, right Teri? I hope you're getting some quality writing time in to your busy schedule!

Details and Pics! Got it, Angela! And the more pics, the less details required, right? Show don't tell. I once heard that somewhere.

I'm hoping to turn it into school visits, Caryn! It was a presentation to some awesome school librarians! What a great group!

Thanks, Vivian! I can't wait for you to see what happens in revisions! And seeing as how you gave me some great ideas...

Thanks for visiting everyone!

Tabitha said...

Funny story about the not-so-subliminal messages. :) I think I'd have been mortified, but I'm a terrible public speaker and have trouble with changes in plans. :)

I like the idea of a big ol' blog party for those of us who are too far away to go to your release party. :) Hope you got lots of writing done yesterday!

Devon Ellington said...

Yay for book release parties -- they are fun!

PJ Hoover said...

I admit it, Tabitha. There was a moment of mortification when I thought, "Oh crap, I hope I didn't write anything bad!" But it passed.
Whew.

Release parties are fun, Devon! And this being mine should make it even more so.

Thanks for visiting!

Barrie said...

The non-subliminal subliminal messages were very fun! Oh, I wish I could be at your launch!

Gottawrite Girl said...

I wish I could be there. October 26th. One of your greatest days, ever! Please DO blog about it...I will be living vicariously through your wonderful experiences! Thanks for posting this, PJ!

Jim D said...

Be sure to send me a sublimital invitation to the blog launch party! :-)

Jim D

PJ Hoover said...

I wish you could, too, Barrie! We'd have a great time! And I'm glad for the moral support during the presentations!

I will blog about it, Susan! And I'll be looking forward to a launch party for you sometime in the near future!

Would a telepathic invite work, Jim? Certainly you're one of those telgens, aren't you?

Thanks for visiting!

Stacy Nyikos said...

Use the force, Luke...

PJ Hoover said...

Does this mean you'll be my Padawan learner, Stacy!