"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Friday, September 05, 2008

Five on a Friday

It's been a wonderful first-week-of-free-time week here. I've rocked and rolled on getting outstanding interviews done, contacting reviewers, and taking care of business in general. My bookmarks are designed as are generic postcards (generic as in not-release-party specific ones). Off to Kinkos in a bit to get those printed.

* Note - if you'd like some bookmarks to hand out to people you know (your kid's school, your soccer team, whatever) email me, and I'll send you some.

Wow, and that's not even part of my five!

Here goes for the week:

1) My new solution for cooking dinner for the family? The crock pot. I so don't mind throwing something in there in the morning and letting it cook all day. Last time I made a roast in there, EVERYONE ate it.

2) I finished revisions on one WIP yesterday and am ready to start revisions on another WIP today! Must get my mind around the switch from first-person past to first-person present.

3) My critique group, the fab Farflung Writers, has given me great feedback on a one sentence premise for my new WIP. I have motivation for my main character. I see I need more weaknesses for my secondary character. I need to add a couple scenes.
Did I mention I love revisions, especially when I have direction.

4) My husband just finished The Emerald Tablet! His comment - "It was way better than the last time I read it" (first draft, three years ago, chock full of backstory). Also he said, "The ending was really tight. It's nice how everything tied together."
My dad also refinished it for a second time. His comment - "I finished your book and it was a good read. There is a lot of suspense in it and enough surprises to keep the reader off balance."
Do keep in mind, my dad is a man of few words.

Now if I can just get them to buy a copy :)

5) I'm on a panel at the Oklahoma Library Association Conference in a couple weeks, and I totally have my speech (12 minutes) mapped out in my mind. After plenty of time spent wondering what the heck I could talk about, it came to me!
Next week, I'll get it into Powerpoint!

Hope everyone has a great weekend! We're headed to a small Renaissance Festival tomorrow and a dinosaur dig on Sunday.

22 comments:

Devon Ellington said...

What a great five.

Great work on those revisions.

keri mikulski :) said...

Congrats on a great week and five. :) Love your hubby's and dad's comments. Can't wait to read your book. :)

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Devon! I know there's no hope of ever writing at your speed, but I do OK! :)

Thanks, Keri! And the comments are funny I thought also!

Gottawrite Girl said...

Thanks for reinforcing that I need to join a critique group. I've had my name posted on the wanna-be-included list within scbwi's website, but need to make a proactive move. Not sure how to proceed...

PJ Hoover said...

Do you have a local SCBWI chapter there, Susan? It's a great place to start looking if you want an in person group. Or probably over on Verla Kay they may have posting for online groups.
It's a great thing to do!

Tabitha said...

I love my crock pot!! It lets me serve an entire nutritious meal with five minutes of effort. A genius invention. :)

That's great what your dad and husband said about your book! :) My family doesn't share the same interests as mine, so I haven't given them anything I've written. Once it's in book-form, they might get more interested. :) It's great your family already is.

PJ Hoover said...

Send me some recipes, Tabitha! I'm sure the roast with corn and green beans will get old after a while.
And I am happy they took the time to read it. It's not either of their genres at all!

beth said...

Best crockpot recipe ever (although it is very country):

1 bottle ketchup
1 bottle beer
1 mess of meatballs

Cook till done.

Another great one from my granny (told you I was country):

1 fryer chicken
1 cup self-rising flour
1 egg

-Cook fryer chicken (covered with water) for longest Crockpot setting. When done, skin and debone. Take a ladle-full of broth, mix with flour and egg to make dumplings. Pat down the dumplings as thin as you can make them. Meanwhile, bring chicken and broth to a boil. Drop dumplings into the boiling broth--they cook as soon as they touch it. Done!

PJ Hoover said...

Those are some serious country recipes, Beth! Thanks so much for sharing! The first sounds way easy. The second mentions picking the chicken. Hmmm...lots of work?

Carrie Harris said...

Sounds like you had a great week! Hope the next one is just as wonderful.

And I am addicted to my crockpot. I made a sausage and hominy stew last night. It sounds strange, but it was SO yummy!

Vivian said...

The plot exercise was so helpful! Yay, for our group! Good luck with your revisions. Can't wait to see what happens with the next round of revisions.

PJ Hoover said...

Carrie, sausage and hominy sounds perfect - like something the husband and kids would love. I'm thinking I'll have to download some crockpot recipes from the internet!

PJ Hoover said...

I can't wait either, Vivian! I'm so excited to jump back in, add some scenes, all that. And the first paragraph? - someone gave me the best idea!
Thanks!

Vivian said...

Glad you liked it!

Beth Kephart said...

What I'm thinking is this:

It's darned cool that your husband read your book, not just once but twice. Darned cool, let me tell you.

:)

kbaccellia said...

You go, Tricia! I also loved our premise exercise. It really helps to have others look at your work and give back helpful feedback. Oh, by the way, I totally LOVED the premise behind your WIP.

Kim

PJ Hoover said...

It is pretty cool that he read it, Beth! Especially because the first time around he gave me some really great suggestions. And he even framed them in a totally positive way.
Love that!

Thanks, Kim! I was trying to give my husband the 1 minute explanation of my WIP, and I'm not sure I did it any justice at all. It's hard!!!!!
It's been a fun week!

Beth Kephart said...

I love that you are loving The Book Thief. Vivian heralded this book — and boy was she right.

And thanks for saying that you like the video. Boy, do they take a lot of time! And they are never ever ever perfect. Today's experiment was the piano. Someday I hope to know what I am doing.

b

TJ Brown said...

Oh, yeah... the crock pot! I found the most fabulous recipe for chili. Let me know if you want me to send it to you:)
Teri

PJ Hoover said...

Beth, I have a goal to learn how to make and upload a video by the end of the year! When I do goals like Vivian, I'll have to make sure I note this. I can see getting consumed by it.

Yes, Teri! Email me the chili recipe! The family will love it. And when they're happy, I'm happy. Or is it the other way around?
Thanks!

Beth Kephart said...

Oh, PJ, you will get consumed.

You will get very consumed.

So you know Jill? She's a dynamo and I worked with her closely on the first two books. How fun is that. You must give her a hug for me when you see her.

Yay for Vivian and her goals. My goal at the moment is to dry my hair so that I can go out.

I figure if I start small, I can build to great things.

b

PJ Hoover said...

I'm ready to be consumed!
No, I haven't met Jill yet, but totally looking forward to it! She seems super (like that alliteration?).
Have fun with the hair drying!