"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Friday, September 12, 2008

Five on a Friday

In the blink of an eye, or maybe it's the eye of a hurricane, everything changes.
And, no, the hurricane is not supposed to hit Austin. We're supposed to get rain and winds and lots of refugees from the coast, and hence, our city is actually preparing admirably.

But, yeah, this does mean what previously was a jammed packed weekend is now way more on the light side.

My son gets out two hours early today.
My daughter's preschool gets out early.
My all-day Editor's Day with Jill Santopolo and Cynthia Leitich Smith is postponed. Not canceled, only postponed.
One birthday party of two is canceled.

So a much less hectic weekend. And it drives home the lesson that it is better to over-prepare, and we should always be flexible. And look for the positive. Am I bummed the writing thing is not on? Sure. But if I believe my own advice (which I happen to), then this is all for the greater good. It gives me more time to work on revisions beforehand. It lets me go to the other party on Saturday afternoon with the kids. It let's me buy Jill's book Alec Flint, Super Sleuth, The Nina The Pinta, And The Vanishing Treasure before the workshop and get her to sign it for my son!

Anyway, I digress. Can all the above count as (1)?

OK, now the rest:

(2) You know you're learning how to market yourself when you pick your husband up at his office for lunch and on the elevator ride down you have an overwhelming urge to hand postcards and bookmarks out to a group of total strangers all trying to avert their eyes.

(3) You know you're learning how to market yourself when you run in to someone in Wal-mart you used to work with in Chicago 10 years ago and you spout off how you quit engineering in April and promptly pull out a bookmark for their 4-year-old daughter.

(4) I've neglected to mention I finished The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. My recommendation? Go buy this book. I loved it. It meshes so well with me and what I like to read. I didn't want to put it down. Thank you Kim for sending me your ARC! Can I keep it???

(5) The Page Flipper posted a fantastic review for The Emerald Tablet!
My favorite line from the review?
"Creativity is something P.J. must have in plenty."
Thanks so much, Chelsea! I really appreciate it!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

25 comments:

Just_Me said...

he he he.... Glad to hear Austin is getting skipped! We have a house north of there and family in Hill Country. I was a little bit worried about how bad the hurricane would be a few hours inland.

Have a safe and rainy weekend.

And congrats on the lovely review!

Lapillus said...

A suddenly less overwhelming weekend is usually welcome over here. I hope it's a good one for you despite the disappointment involved.

What a nice review!! Great job on the marketing! I think I'd struggle with that a lot.

Sheri said...

Is't it (sometimes) wonderful when life says, we're gonna slow things down for you a bit... It's nice to take a breather from time to time. And it is the positive side of things that now you have a bit more time to prepare for your meeting, even though it stinks to have to put that off.

I think you have another book on your hands, btw (I'm sure you have several, but...) I really like the... You Know You are Learning to Market Yourself as a title. This could be a great book for debut authors with sugestions and creative ways to self-promotion, how to get over being shy, how to seize the moment... This can be a fantastic idea for you as a non-fiction best seller! I know I'd buy it!!!

Congrats on yet another glorious review!

Sheri said...

Sorry for typos, I forgot to proof read...

PJ Hoover said...

I hope it's not too bad, Liana! But I think I'll backup everything a second time just to make sure! And thanks!
I like White chocolate macadamia, BTW!

It is nice, Casey, especially if we can stay inside during most of the rain. There's nothing like rainy day at home!
The marketing is actually getting to be kind of fun! Weird, but fun!

I like your book idea, Sheri! And once I make millions, I'll have way more credibility! And I didn't even notice the typos until you said something!

Thanks for visiting, everyone!

beth said...

I heard more about Ike today on the radio, and my first thought was: is PJ in the line of fire? Glad to know you'll be OK.

And Hunger Games does look brilliant...I can't wait for it!

PJ Hoover said...

I think you would love Hunger Games, Beth, based on your SFF post today. It's not outer-spacy and nobody gets frozen!
Thanks for thinking of me!!!!

C.R. Evers said...

I have hunger games on hold at my library. They are ordering a big bunch and I'm #12 on the waiting list! I'm getting more and more excited to read it!

Congrats on the great review!

Christy

keri mikulski :) said...

Great review! Congrats. And the marketing - you go!

Enjoy your non running around weekend.

Kelly said...

Yay, for Austin staying dry-ish. And, yay for the good review :)

PJ Hoover said...

Your library will need a big bunch, Christy! It was great. I saw it at the bookstore today looking so pretty there on the shelf.

Thanks, Keri! As long as i can make popcorn the weekend should be all good!

Thanks, Kelly! We'll see how dry we stay before the weekend is out! Hurricane-free would be nice!

Thanks for visiting!

Anna Lefler said...

PJ, I keep forgetting that you live in Austin...what a great city that is! (I grew up in Houston so I've been watching Ike closely.)

I think it's awesome that you're marketing your booty off. That kind of enthusiasm is what breaks down all kinds of barriers, moves people and makes things happen. I can't wait to read your book.

BTW, thanks for the comment on my site...I responded there in a separate comment...

Have a calm, dry weekend and thank you to you and your city for sheltering the Houstonians...

:^) Anna

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Anna! The marketing is kind of fun, too. In it's own special way. Not like writing. But still I enjoy it!
Thanks for the storm well wishes. No rain here yet!

Prince Balthazar said...

P.J. When does Emerald Tablet hit bookshelves? Do you know when in October?

Cant wait to pick up a copy.

Cheers

PJ Hoover said...

Hey Balthazar! The Emerald Tablet should be available October 21st! It's going to depend on the bookstore to see if they have it on the shelf, but it can always be ordered if it's not there! (Does that sounds like a plea?)
Thanks so much for asking and hope you're having a great weekend!

Vivian said...

I'm glad you're keeping safe in Austin. Too bad about the postponements, but you're right to look on the good side, you'll be that much more prepared!

And, yay! for being proactive with marketing. You're doing awesome and your book launch is going to be fantastic!

PJ Hoover said...

Thank you so much for saying so, Vivian! It's a weird thing to have to market yourself.

Angela said...

Hope you don't get too much rain! I need to check out the Hunger Games!

PJ Hoover said...

Hunger Games was awesome, Angela! Definitely check it out!
Still no rain...

Lenore said...

Loved Hunger Games too!

Angela said...

I'll look for that book--thanks!

Carrie Harris said...

Rock on with your marketing genius self! :)

Hopefully some day I'll need to hire you. Or ply you with chocolate or something.

PJ Hoover said...

Lenore, I couldn't put it down! I love when I read a book like this!

Definitely, Angela! If you like the general genre, it's a don't miss!

Chocolate works well, Carrie. Beer and babysitting work nicely, too. Oh, wait, does that mean I'd have to work?

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Marcia said...

Your jam-packed weekend emptied out? Ha-ha, I'm giddy at the thought! You get to LIVE instead of just chase around. Of course, we don't want a hurricane to have to come along before this happens . . . I agree, if you over-prepare and stay flexible, you can roll with the punches a lot easier.

I just started THE HUNGER GAMES and am thoroughly hooked.

PJ Hoover said...

It was kind of nice, Marcia! It's too bad there was so much destruction from Ike.
And I'm glad you're liking The Hunger Games!