"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Friday, September 26, 2008

Five on a Friday

Happy Friday! It's ACL time here in Austin, which for those not from these part, is a gigantic live music festival. Are we going? No. But this year we are going to an ACL party. So we're getting closer to that rebirth in our lives when we start doing fun stuff like this again.

Here's my five for the week:

1) Read and finished Everlost by Neal Shusterman. Great book. The more I turned the pages, the more I loved it. And I'm happy to learn a sequel is in the works! If you haven't read this book, I highly recommend it.


2) Reading The Latent Powers of Dylan Fontaine by April Lurie. I didn't want to put this down last night, but seeing as how I knew 6:00am would roll around quickly, I did. It's fantastic, great! Love this book! Totally you should read it.

3) And since we're on the subject of books, I'm headed to the bookstore today for some birthday gifts. And, well, since I'm there, I may as well get myself a few new books, too. I plan to pick up Feed by M. T. Anderson and Wicked Lovely and Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr.



4) I totally did not give Sheri credit for her fabulous photo I posted on Wednesday. I think it's because I nabbed it from her blog so long ago. OK, sometime over the summer. Sheri took the photo of the shadow of the window on the Berber carpet.

5) Yet again, mythology pops up everywhere. In Kung Fu this morning while doing mountain climbers I made a joke about having to go back to the bottom of the hill and push the rock up again to which someone quickly "got" my reference and continued on with the Sisyphus joke. If you don't know who Sisyphus is, he's the guy in Hell who has to push the rock to the top of the hill, watch it roll down, and push it up again. Over and over. Hence never-ending tasks are often referred to as Sisyphean tasks.
And how's that for a mythology lesson for the day?

Have a great, fun, inspiring weekend!

16 comments:

keri mikulski :) said...

I can't wait to hear what you think of Melissa Marr's books. I heard they're fantastic. :) Have a great weekend.

Carrie Harris said...

Yeah, the last time I referred to Sisyphus in regular conversation, the person I was speaking to thought I was talking about the unfortunate medical condition. You know, rhymes with pifilis?

Working Mom said...

We are going to ACL tomorrow, with kids in tow (under 10 are free). It could be fun or a family disaster waiting to happen...I'll let you know.

PJ Hoover said...

I can't wait to read them, Keri! And if I see Screwball there, I'll pick it up for sure (and of course let you know)!

I so get this, Carrie! It does certainly sounds similar. Which makes it even more excellent to use.

Have a great weekend!

PJ Hoover said...

Wow, Working mom, I'm impressed!!! Can we join you next year?
Have a great time!

Tabitha said...

Both Feed and Melissa Marr's books are excellent! I can't wait to see what you think of them! :)

Vivian said...

Sounds like a good week! Especially when your son is so into your book--love your post below.

The Latent Powers of Dylan Fontaine is really good. And so is Wicked Lovely.

Enjoy your weekend!

Angela said...

Melissa Marr's books are on my list! I can't wait until I can get my hands on them (bookstore is always sold out --STILL- when I swing by, it seems)

PJ Hoover said...

I can't either, Tabitha! Even at the counter someone told me how great Ink Exchange is.

Vivian, I just finished Dylan Fontaine and loved it! It's written so well.

They had one copy of each at the bookstore, Angela, so I nabbed them!

Hope you all have a great weekend!

Anna Lefler said...

Have a great weekend, PJ...

And your comment on my blog KILLED, by the way. Har!

:^) Anna

PS It's amazing to me that you can write at night. I'm a paper doll after 8:00 pm...what a wuss!

Beth Kephart said...

I want to know everything about Feed.

Please?

:)

Marcia said...

This is the second time I've heard about EVERLOST in about an hour. I'll have to get it.

Lenore said...

Great book picks! I need to pick up Everlost one of these days since I so enjoyed Unwind.

PJ Hoover said...

Kilts have that power, don't they, Anna! And I LOVE the paper doll image. It's conjures up the sweetest picture in my mind. I'd be a paper doll anytime - except I'd still want to write at night!

Everything, Beth, about Feed! So far so good. Very different. Very.

It was super, Marcia. A great and surprising ending and totally room for a sequel.

I haven't read Unwind, Lenore, as I wasn't sure I could get past the idea of the book. But as impressed as I was with Everlost, I'm ready to give it a try.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Lenore said...

Well, you know I love reading dystopia - there was one really horrible scene in Unwind towards the end - but it's still a great book.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Lenore!