"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Flashback Showing, and Photos for my Office

Yes, another "show don't tell" example.

OK, without Googling (don't you love using that as a verb), who knows where "Cherry Ice Cream Smile" comes from?

I was reminded of this in a song I listened to the other day. I'm thinking in lyrics it's even more important to "show don't tell". I sang this line a million times growing up, and somewhere in my mind an image was formed based on this description. Lush. Red. Delicious. What does it conjure up for you? And what a great example of something we can incorporate into our writing. It makes me hungry just thinking about it.


As for revisions, I've added in my necessary scenes so far this week. Now to go back and make sure scenes are long enough, descriptions are crisp and sensual enough, and all that other good stuff that is part of the unending phase we call "revisions".
I've cheated this week and written the last two days during the day (as opposed to my normal nighttime writing routine - well, actually, in addition to it). I'm sneaking in another day of writing today though tomorrow will be all marketing. And Friday I'm off somewhere external away from the WiFi to do even more.
At least these are my plans. What are yours?


I nabbed a photo from Beth Kephart the other day, finishing off my three photo spread (interspersed throughout) I plan to put up in my office. But actually when I look at the wall, I see there is room for four photos. Beth takes the most amazing photographs, so I'll be checking her blog daily to see what I can get.
Thanks, Beth!


Fun Emerald Tablet news - my son has been bringing it to class to read before school and during DEAR time (Drop Everything and Read). He was proud it was the longest book anyone was reading in his 2nd grade class, and yesterday while driving he even brought up how Gary can grow back his limbs (yes, you need to read the book to find out). Remember, we're talking an advanced civilization here.

One more note - my editor, Madeline Smoot, is running a fun series on her blog regarding explanations of Science Fiction and Fantasy. If you get a second, pop over and check it out. And ask a question of her in the comments. She loves getting questions.

Hope everyone is having a great week.

28 comments:

Devon Ellington said...

Changing up your writing time can give you a burst of energy. Good for you.

Sounds like a busy, happy time!

PJ Hoover said...

It totally does make everything more upbeat, Devon! And it's addictive, too :)

Angela said...

Sounds like you're being very productive! When the writing bug calls, sometimes you just have to wing it!

PJ Hoover said...

And it's so nice when revisions don't feel rushed, Angela! I love that!

Amy said...

Great pictures. You're being very productive! I prefer to write at night, but there is no time, so I've had to become a "day writer" while the kids are at school. Amazing, more productive than I thought I'd be.

PJ Hoover said...

Thank, Amy! Daytime writing is nice because I'm (normally) not sleepy.

adrienne said...

Beautiful photo choices.
That's so cool that your son is enjoying your book - and diving in to a nice long story!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Adrienne! I have to admit him wanting to read my book makes me the happiest of all (unless of course Oprah comes along requesting it).

Sheri said...

Duran, Duran! Her name is Rio and she dances in the sand... I never realized how perfect that phrase is… her cherry ice cream smile. I definitely must think like this when writing. I used to tell my husband when we were dating that he had spaghetti sauce lips – not quite the same image is it??? But you know when you eat tomato sauce and it makes your lips red… cherry ice cream is a much yummier innuendo though…

Oh and cool pictures. Of course, I love the tree one. It looks like a pig who was turned into a tree... Oh and the one of my carpet with the shadow of the window... I saw it and I was like, "HEY! I took that!" I am totally honored you decided to use it. I remember when you told me you liked it.

I love that your son is reading your book in DEAR time. Awesome! Some day… some day… *sign*

PJ Hoover said...

Sheri, I busted out laughing at your comment. Spaghetti Sauce lips. This is like the perfect example of what happens when you've been in a relationship for a while. You go from Cherry Ice Cream Smile to Spaghetti Sauce lips. So funny!
And, yes, of course you are right! Duran Duran!

And I totally forget to link to you on the picture! I'm so sorry! I think because I snagged it from you a while ago. I'll do that Friday! It is such an awesome picture and I love it!

lynn said...

Love the pics! Especially the last one--makes me believe in Ents :) Good luck with revisions!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Lynn! Ents are awesome and worth believing in. Tolkien had obviously seen this tree.

Carrie Harris said...

FABULOUS photos. I'm so envious of people who can take good pictures. I'm a crop-off-their-heads sort.

And good luck with those revisions! Sounds like you're going strong.

PJ Hoover said...

Then that fits in well with your blog post from today, doesn't it, Carrie. No head. No legs. Weird, weird phenomenon.

Thanks for visiting everyone!

Christine M said...

Great photos!

Oh - and for Gary regenerating limbs, my daughter (who is studying cells in science) pointed out that humans can't regenerate bits like that because cells are all specialized. Of course, then she added - but they're not human, are they!

PJ Hoover said...

Why must children be so smart these days, Chris.
Yes, I'll go with the "they aren't human" reasoning.
:)

keri mikulski :) said...

Great stuff. Keep writing. The pics are interesting. :)

Sheri said...

Haha PJ! Yes, from cherry ice cream smile, to spaghetti sauce lips, to now just lips. Or hey you, the other adult in this house...

Don't worry about the picture. I felt like a celeb seeing it on your blog! It gave me a thrill, link or not.

That tree one really does blow my mind though. Where do you think she took it?

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Keri! I hope all is going great in your writing world!

LOL, Sheri. I think you surfed over and found out where she took it!
Why do I feel like having some cherry ice cream?

Beth Kephart said...

Wow! I'm in such good photo company. There is a fabulous correspondence among your choices here (and a wonderful interwoven story of a son's pride). The longest book in the room!

And, I bet, one of the finest.

Marcia said...

Great photos. How cool that your son is reading your book to his class! One of my son's classmate's dog ate a library copy of one of my books once . . . :)

PJ Hoover said...

Your photos is awesome, Beth! It's perfect!
As for my book being the finest in the room, kids reading Goosebumps would probably disagree.

Nice, Marcia! I hope the dog enjoyed it! And I hope they ordered a new one. I always get worried when those library books come home - like I've just taken additional responsibilities on in my life.

Tabitha said...

That's so cute about your son!! :) I hope my kids are as enthusiastic about my stories. Once they're old enough to read them, that is. :)

Glad to hear you're getting in some good writing time! With my oldest starting his new school, my computer time has drastically dropped. Still trying to figure that one out. :)

PJ Hoover said...

Your kids will love your stories, Tabitha! Especially if you promise to dedicate a book to them :)
Figuring out new routines does take time, doesn't it!

Gottawrite Girl said...

I wish you swift and visionary editing, PJ! And your photos are beautiful. Also, I love the DEAR... things are really happening for you, which must be the best feeling after all your hard work!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Susan! I love the DEAR thing. I just love how they encourage kids to read. It's great!
And revising is going great!
Thanks!

Heather Zundel said...

The photographs are indeed beautiful. And I love the idea of DEAR - I am so glad they have that in schools today.

What do you do at your school events? Your stories are so much fun to hear.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Heather! I loved the pictures. The head one is the backdrop on my computer but seems to deserve something more.
I'm only just starting on the school visits thing. The speech I gave was to a school librarians conference and was basically proving how fun and exciting science fiction really is!

Thanks for visiting!