"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Friday, September 19, 2008

Friday Roundup - Roadtrip, TV, and Thanks!

I'm not sure I can fit everything into a neat, orderly five, so here goes with the randomness.

First off, thanks to both Christy and Carrie for the awesome "I Love this Blog" award. I so appreciate it (even if I'm not so great on the passing it along thing - I love so many blogs!) If you don't read these gal's blogs, you should add them to the list! They're awesome and fantastic and funny.

Next, thanks to Tabitha for the meme tag! One of these days I will get to it!

OK, I'm almost to the Oklahoma stuff, but first, The Emerald Tablet got a review from The Book Muncher. My favorite line from the review:
"The Emerald Tablet was an interesting, unique, and fun story. I loved the originality of the new continents Lemuria and Atlantis besides the seven accepted ones."
Thanks, Book Muncher!

Now, on to the Oklahoma trip!

What a blast. I got to meet awesome fellow 2k8 classmates:
Barrie Summy, author of I So Don't Do Mysteries
Stacy Nyikos, author of Dragon Wishes
Jenny Meyerhoff author of Third Grade Baby

I drove up from Austin. OK, so I took the long way, 35E instead of 35W, because I love driving through Italy, Texas. Why? Because they provide such creative and wonderful views from the highway. It looks like the Starship Pegasus is for sale in case anyone is interested in some awesome interstate property. Not to mention this way I get to go through Waxahachie where they almost built a particle accelerator.


Sidenote: The drive was beautiful. Oklahoma was awesome with really cool sulfur and rock formations along the highway.
Here we are, kicking back after my drive up from Austin.



Now, the speech. They had to turn people away at the door! We spoke to a full house of 150 people, all of whom were wonderful and interested and laughed at our jokes. Not to mention they told us how much they enjoyed our speech and were thrilled to get free advanced readers of The Emerald Tablet afterward!


We signed books from 12-1, and Tammi Sauer, author of Cowboy Camp, who I happen to share an agent (Laura Rennert) with, came by.

Then off to the gorgeous public library where the filming was set up for our interviews.
Here's me getting my makeup "freshened".


And here's me on the set!


You can read about the trip here on Barrie Summy's blog, also.

Then, when it was time to leave, they felt sorry for me that I had to drive the 6.5 hours back to Austin. OK, am I nuts? Am I the only one who looks forward to the idea of driving 6 hours in solitude while listening to a fantastic audio book?

Have a great weekend everyone! The kids are thrilled I'm home, and we're ready to relax!

28 comments:

Kelly said...

Sounds like a great trip, Tricia! Congrats. And, no, you're not crazy. 6 free hours with a good audiobook=awesome.

PJ Hoover said...

I knew you'd agree with me, Kelly. I could see us roadtripping in the future and being happy just sitting there listening to a good book :)

Sheri said...

How absolutely cool! You're famous!!! Make up and a TV set!!! So exciting! You must be floating on air. (that's a really strange expression, come to think of it.... what else would you be floating on? Jell-o?)

I dont' mind road tripping with a friend, but six hours a lone in a car, I might get lonely... The audio book is an excellent idea and then the hours might just melt away.

PJ Hoover said...

The hours totally melt away, Sheri! It's such a great way to make driving fun.
I know, LOL, on the make up and TV thing. How funny is that. It's just kind of funny :)

Christine M said...

Sounds like a fun trip!

PJ Hoover said...

It was so much fun, Chris, and so nice to get away! But even nicer to come home!

Devon Ellington said...

What a great trip! I've never been to Oklahoma -- I enjoyed the photos.

PJ Hoover said...

I hadn't been to Oklahoma either, Devon, and was really impressed! Maybe it was having time to relax and drive during the day and being able to actually enjoy the scenery!

Tabitha said...

Sounds like it was lots of fun! So cool about the TV interview. Were you nervous? I'd have been petrified! :)

keri mikulski :) said...

Wow, thanks for sharing. Sounds like you guys had a blast. :)

PJ Hoover said...

It was fun, Tabitha! I didn't get nervous for the TV thing but did get a bit shaky at the start of my speech!

You're welcome, Keri! It's so great to meet/hang out with other writers!

Anna Lefler said...

Congrats on the cool TV gig, PJ! What a great experience (and you look fabulous).

And I'm totally with you on the solitude of the long road-trip. Love that. I'm jealous! (Or is it envious? Dang it!)

In either case, have a great weekend...

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Anna! The TV thing was such a great opportunity and the best part is they were happy to have us!
Loved the drive. How else could I justify sitting around reading for that long straight?
You have a great weekend, too!

Barrie said...

I'm still thinking about how great it was to meet and present with you guys!

Oh yeah, and I love the photo of you on the set with my book in front!

Child #4 says she misses you!

Jim D said...

Tricia,
Glad it was a good trip!

What audio book are you listening to?

Jim D

PJ Hoover said...

And I miss Child #4, Barrie! She was a doll! Such an angel!
And it was so great to present with you. You're hilarious.
Funny on the book! I noticed it, too! It's a great cover!

Thanks, Jim! I'm listening to The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray which is fantastic so far. Come Monday once the kids are in school, I'm listening all day while doing stuff around the house.

Jenny Meyerhoff said...

It was so fantastic meeting you in person! I'm halfway through The Emerald Tablet and loving it!

Beth Kephart said...

wow. What a truly extraordinary event — and well earned, it seems to me.

Keep enjoying your adventure, PJ. Live it all now.

Carrie Harris said...

Oooh! You were on a SET! How cool is that? It sounds all professionalish. I would spend all my time there squeeing and saying "Oooh! I'm on a set!"

You looked quite professional. :)

Gottawrite Girl said...

That is really exciting, and you looked great! I wish you many new fans!!!

PJ Hoover said...

I'm so glad you're enjoying it, Jenny! It was great meeting you, too! I can't wait to hand your bookmarks out at my son's school! And congrats on selling out of your books while we were signing!

Thanks, Beth! It really was a once in a lifetime thing. So much fun. Such great people. Just a real joy on so many levels!

I was on a set, Carrie! Isn't that amazing! So weird. And someone to do makeup for me. It's an odd thing.

Thanks, Susan! You're super sweet to say so. I was wishing for my curling iron by the time the TV thing came around. No such luck.

Thanks for visiting!

Don Tate II said...

I love that caterpillar, thingy! I've seen it many times, but can't remember exactly where it's at.

Sounds like a fun trip.

Marcia said...

This sounds great. But drive six and a half hours with no company but an audiobook? Oh, it would probably be fine, but I'm spooked about breakdowns, detours and wrong turns.

PJ Hoover said...

See, now you know, Don. Italy, Texas. And there's a great gas station right there at the exit for your one stop enjoyment.
BTW, the caterpillar thing is some kind of dome institute. Open to the Public. So next time I'm stopping.

The drive is a breeze, Marcia. One highway all the way to Oklahoma City. Could not be easier. Plus it was mostly daytime and perfect weather.

Thanks for visiting!

Vivian said...

I disappear for a week and miss all this excitement...What an awesome week! Congrats! You must have had a blast, plus a relaxing drive. I'd relish the quiet time.

Are you going to have your interview on YouTube?

PJ Hoover said...

I missed you, Vivian!
Yes, the quiet time is priceless. I wonder just how long of a drive I would make :)
I hope so on the YouTube, but I'll find out one way or the other.
Hope all is well!

Beth Kephart said...

ALl right, I'm just saying this:

You are a sweetheart.

PJ Hoover said...

Right back at you, Beth!