"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Blast from the Past

Yes, I admit it. I sent a mass email yesterday letting everyone know my book had been released. Thank you so much for all the wonderful responses! And if you didn't get it, email me and I'll be thrilled to send it on to you.

But the best part about it were the little nuggets of gold I received in return. I need to make note of some because they warmed my heart:
  • One friend I grew up with FOREVER reminded me of our days singing Chicago's Hard to Say I'm Sorry. I'd totally eliminated this song from my memory banks and I used to love it. We'd turn on the vinyl, close our eyes and sing with all our heart. I ran to iTunes and purchased it immediately. So Kelly, I'm officially adding Hard to Say I'm Sorry to the list.
  • One friend let me know she and her husband were both running a marathon this Sunday! And I thought publishing a book was hard :)
  • One friend from college challenged my interview with Cynthia Leitich Smith. It's of note, so I'm going to quote:
    • From the interview: "Basically, I grew up a cool nerd. I loved math, computers, and 'Star Trek' but also happened to be captain of the cheerleading squad." (The large letters and colors are his doing).
    • His challenge: "Hmmm. Cool nerd? I was attending high school at exactly same time, and I can state unequivocally that nerds were not cool. No sugar coating of "captain of the cheerleading squad" can reverse the underlying nerd stain. About the best you can hope for is to be termed a "cool" nerd by a group of fellow peer nerds. Coolness is only bestowed in this manner."
    • So what think you on the cool nerd comment? I'd love to know so I can relay the comments back to him. Please keep in mind we attended high school in the 80s.
If you've ever wondered what the nook looks like I write in, pop over to Darcy Pattison's blog and check out my writing space guest blog. And yes, I do keep my desk that neat all the time.

Thanks to Devon Ellington for the shout out on her blog! Man, Devon is one on-the-ball gal!

Thanks to Literary Escapism for mentioning my interview with Tabitha!

And thanks to Brianna for not only posting but expanding on my list of ways to help an author launching a book. I'll repost my list (from the email) here:

- Buy THE EMERALD TABLET!
- Tell everyone you meet to buy THE EMERALD TABLET.
- Review THE EMERALD TABLET and post the review on Amazon and Barnes and Noble. Good reviews are even better.
- Suggest THE EMERALD TABLET as the kid's book pick for Al Roker on The Today Show or for Oprah Winfrey's kid's book list.
- Give THE EMERALD TABLET as a gift to every kid you know. Make it your standard holiday gift this season. Remember it come birthday party time, also!
- If you order it at the bookstore, suggest they order a few more copies to keep in stock!
- Recommend THE EMERALD TABLET to your school or public library and ask that they order it for their shelves.
- Blog about THE EMERALD TABLET or me or both.
- Suggest me to your school librarian for an author visit.
- Have your kid recommend THE EMERALD TABLET as a read-aloud book in their classroom.
- Interview me, write an article on me, or even just mention me in passing to an old acquaintance.
- Use THE EMERALD TABLET in your book club. Form a book club for your kids if needed just for this purpose.
- Buy THE EMERALD TABLET!

Hope you are having a great week! Beth K., I called Amazon to check on where House of Dance is. They say it's been delivered so the post office is currently doing an investigation. Is that cool that your book is under investigation?

Hope everyone is having a great week! Please weigh in on the cool nerd question so I can report back!

22 comments:

Gottawrite Girl said...

"Cool Nerds"... absolutely, and me too! And, what a great marketing wish list... you're on a steam roll, PJ, it's wonderful to watch!

Angela said...

Wow, now that's a list. Looks like you're good to go! Do you feel like you've just strapped yourself into a rollercoaster thrill ride, or what?

PJ Hoover said...

You too, Susan! You so don't look like you ever could have been a nerd!

You think the list will work, Angela? How soon until Oprah calls me do you think?

Thanks for visiting!

Sheri said...

You also dream of being interviewed by Oprah! It's not just me... Hmmm...

A cool nerd... I did think it was possible and catchy when I read it. Is that like being cool even though you were in band? Because I was in band and I thought... no, I KNOW I was cool!

I think there are those of us who are COOL enough, SO cool, in fact, that we were able to bridge those gaps across the crowded cafeteria divide! We were so cool that we made nerds and being musically inclined look Casually Cool! Yup, me and PJ, nerd cool and band cool!

keri mikulski :) said...

They were definitely cool nerds.. :) Great email, PJ!

PJ Hoover said...

You were totally cool, Sheri! I could sense that about you the minute I started reading your blog.
And I love the image of bridging gaps across the cafeteria divide. It's perfect! The stuff great writing is made of.
So I'm glad I'm not alone is this cool nerdness.
Do you still play?

Thanks, Keri! So were you a cool nerd???

Sheri said...

*Blush* Thank you for saying I am cool and that bit about the writing...

I don't play too much anymore. OK, not at all. I was a flute performance major in college and when I had my kids, years later, I would try to play for them and they would run away holding their ears crying. Even though I had placed second in the state, seeing that made me pack it away...

Truthfully, I ran out of time. Now it comes to time to write, or time to play. Writing comes first. It didn't then, when I was in college. And I can't help but wonder what would have happened if it had.... But you can't live in the past.

PJ Hoover said...

Wow - a flute performance major! Talk about seriously impressive. I'm impressed.
I played a bit of piano and would love to play again, but yeah - the time and all.
where does it go?
And writing rocks!
See ya!

Vivian said...

Very nice interview, P.J.! Congrats on the book release and enjoy your party! And yes, it is possible to be a cool nerd.

You're going to enjoy House of Dance. I finished it the other day.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Vivian! I kept waiting for House of Dance and it never showed up!

Carrie Harris said...

Oh yeah. Cool nerdity is completely possible. We had an entire hierarchy in our band. Percussion and tuba at the top, of course, because we got to do all the cool tricks. Then trombones because of the trombone suicide squad. And then trumpets, because they got all the girls. (The guys did, anyway.)

Why am I rambling?

Anyway, it's completely possible! And now I'm off to go do some of the things from your list!!!

PJ Hoover said...

Wow, Carrie! How fun! Were you in the same band as Sheri?
And wait, what did you play?
THANKS!

Tabitha said...

Wow, so much great publicity, that's awesome!! :)

Carrie, my five year old son wants to play the trumpet in the worst way. He wants one for christmas, but insists he doesn't need lessons because he "already knows how to play." Apparently, his music teacher showed him the basics of how a trumpet works, so now my son thinks he knows everything. :)

adrienne said...

Congrats on your book release. I just watched the trailer - loved it.

Shelley said...

I was definitely a cool nerd. And by 'cool' i mean 'anonymous but not a pariah'

Having taught high school in this millenium, i think it's *much* more possible to be a cool nerd now than in the 80s. sigh.

congrats on the book!!!

Caryn Caldwell said...

Congratulations on the book launch! And I have to say, I'm astounded by your desk. It's really that neat all the time? My husband could only wish I would be that neat.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Tabitha! And wow about your son and the trumpet. My son is just learning the recorder :)

Thanks so much, Adrienne, and thanks for visiting!

Totally agree, Shelley, that's it's easier these days. Why is that?
Thanks for the congrats!

It really is that neat all the time, Caryn. I have a small to-do stack which I try to get through on a very regular basis!
But...you can't see the shelf behind me :)

Thanks for visiting, everyone!

Carrie Harris said...

Percussion of course. :) I was a cool geek too.

Beth Kephart said...

Oh my goodness!!!! I'm under investigation? For a book about, well, for a book about loving someone up to the very end?

I must know how all of this works out.

By the by, Miss PJ. My UNDERCOVER is sadly not narrated by any of those sports voices your lecturer described. Clearly I have failed once again to stay within the lines.

Was just looking at gorgeous you. You can certainly pull off a fine gown!

PJ Hoover said...

Percussion is cool, Carrie! I'd expect nothing less from you :)

Are there lines, Beth? I hope not :) I don't want to stay in them. I'll follow up with Amazon on the investigation early next week (yes, they are supposed to get back to me). But I noticed Amazon did say "only one left in stock". Which is better than The Emerald Tablet which says "out of stock".
And you're sweet about the gown! I loved it when I bought it 8 years ago and still love it now.

See ya!

Alison said...

I think cool nerdiness is possible, even in high school (more so now than back then), but my guess is that if you were a cheerleader, most people just saw the "cool" part and may not have known about the nerdy part! Our cheerleaders could have been into math and science for all I know, but the cheerleader uniforms conveyed a visible coolness that would have outweighed anything else about them.

Anyway, you're still cool and congrats on the book release!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Alison! So were you a cool nerd?
And yes, cheerleader outfits are darn cool!