"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Books, Books, and Questions

So has anyone read The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Vol. 1: The Pox Party by M. T. Anderson? I'm thinking of picking this up today at BookPeople along with a few new Droon books for my son. He got through the first four in like a day, and seeing as how he didn't have the fifth (and reading in order is a great thing), he's now reading Alvin Ho: Allergic to Girls, School, and Other Scary Things by Lenore Look. He likes that Alvin Ho is in the 2nd grade and so is he.

Yesterday I finished Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr. If you haven't read it, it's a compelling book I didn't want to put down. Now I'm on to Ink Exchange (don't like the cover nearly as much on this one - I loved the Wicked Lovely cover), and so far, I'm nearly as hooked.

I'm mid-revisions here. Just finished up one pass through and letting it stew for a bit before looking again. Not like 6 months. More like a week. In the meantime, I'm reading, marketing, and whatever else I can think of.

This morning is off to coffee with Jenny Ziegler and Carla Birnberg (also known as Mizfit). If you're looking for a great fitness/health blog, you need to check Mizfit out...because fitness isn't about fitting in. If you're looking for a great YA book, read How Not to Be Popular by Jenny Z.

Fun things coming up here:
The Hill Country Book Fest on October 11th. I'll be up at 2:00, reading from The Emerald Tablet. My books won't quite be there to sell (they're supposed to ship from the printer October 10th), so on a positive note, I'll be handing out a limited number of ARCs. Please come by and see me if you're in the area. You might get a free book!

The age for The Emerald Tablet has finally been changed! So in case for some reason you thought it was for Ages 4-8 because that's what Amazon said for so long, fear not. It's now been updated for Ages 9-12 (though I'm thinking more 8-14).

Book Release Party - Sunday, October 26th, BookPeople, 4pm. Please come!

Hope everyone is having a great week!

22 comments:

C.R. Evers said...

I love your book suggestions. I'll have to check out Wicked lovely!

Christy

Devon Ellington said...

Thanks for the suggestions.

Are you excited about the party?

Angela said...

Every time I try to buy Wicked Lovely, it's never in!! It's a conspiracy I tell you. I'll have to see what the wait list at the library is like.

beth said...

I read Wicked Lovely earlier this year...I wasn't that impressed, actually. I think there was too much hype involved for me to truly appreciate it.

Congrats on the book party! Hope you have tons of fun!

Prince Balthazar said...

I've read Wicked Lovely and liked it. I also have Octavian Nothing on my shelf but I have yet to read it. It looks pretty complex for kids. The first chapter alone was very interesting and unlike any MG or YA I've read.

Beth Kephart said...

Now THIS explains something. I couldn't imagine how a book as long and interesting and plot-full as yours could be for four to eight year olds.

I am relieved by this new news.

keri mikulski :) said...

WICKED LOVELY is on my TBR pile. I agree with you.. I LOVE the cover. Gorgeous.

TJ Brown said...

I haven't read WIcked Lovely yet, but I'm dying to. It's on my growing to buy list.

have fun at your signing!
Teri

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Christy! Wicked Lovely is worth reading - especially seeing as how it was a bestseller. It's nice to read and look for why books hit the list.

I am excited, Devon. Now to figure out what I'm going to do. It's odd to think of people listening to me yammer on.

Order it, Angela! I bet the library list is long, especially with Ink Exchange having come out recently.

It wasn't the best book I've read, Beth, but it was totally compelling. It had me hooked and wanting to stay up late to finish it.

You can read it too, Balthazar, and we can compare notes! Feed was certainly different and took me a while to wrap my mind around the voice.

It does explain something, doesn't it, Beth! Now I don't have to constantly tell people to ignore the age range :)

It is an amazing cover, Keri. What do you think of the cover of Ink Exchange?

Wicked Lovely is in paperback now, Teri! Good excuse to buy it!

Thanks for visiting, everyone!
Happy Wednesday!

Lapillus said...

I've been meaning to read Wicked Lovely. Now that I have another recommendation I guess I'll have to push it up on my list!

Octavian nothing looks very interesting, too! I'll have to check it out!

You must be getting so excited for your release party! I hope it goes really well! I bet it will!

PJ Hoover said...

Hey Casey, yes, push it up on the list! Ink Exchange is calling to me even now.

Tabitha said...

I know I said this before, but I loved Wicked Lovely! I liked Ink Exchange almost as much, but not quite. Still liked it though. :)

I've have Octavian on my bedtime reading pile forever. Eventually I'll get to it.

I love hearing about what your son is reading. Probably because I love to hear about any kid that's reading! :) And I can pass these books on to my son in a few years. :)

Amy said...

Glad they got the age changed on your book. 4-8? That never sounded right.

Are you excited about the party? If I was in the area, I'd totally join in.

laurasmagicday said...

OMG! You and I have been reading a lot of the same things lately. I read "Wicked Lovely" and loved it. I want to start "Ink Exchange" but it's down south in SoCal. I have "Octavian Nothing" ready to go on my nightstand. I LOVED "Feed" btw, which is why I purchased "Octavian." I just finished "Holes" and loved it. And right now I'm reading a lot of fantasy short stories from the 19th century. So funny how we don't write about hermits much in the 21st century. They were all over 19th century literature. Maybe we need more hermits???? Book launch pary???? SO EXCITING. Ah, one day, one day....

PJ Hoover said...

I hear you on Ink Exchange, Tabitha. So far, not as much. I'll finish it tonight and report back.
It is neat to be able to see what really grabs my son and what does not!

It never sounded right to me either, Amy! It's a small thing but I'm glad it's fixed.

Oh, I'll add Holes to the list, Laura! And what 19th century books have you been reading?
Hermits. We could work with that, right? There's always room for a hermit in a book.

Thanks for visiting!

Carrie Harris said...

I did the same thing with Wicked Lovely. And then I gave it to my best friend to read and haven't seen it since. :)

Hope the party goes well! I'll be there in spirit!

PJ Hoover said...

Your best friend is probably saying "Score!"
Thanks, Carrie!

Beth Kephart said...

I have held Octavian in my hands several times and always come home with something else.

It's time to come home with Octavian.

Marcia said...

Oh dear, I'm afraid I'll sound like a wet blanket. I wasn't impressed with Wicked Lovely, and I could only stick with Octavian Nothing for about 1/4 to 1/3 of the book. Hope your experience is better, and that your party is great!

PJ Hoover said...

We can compare notes on Octavian, Beth. There's something really compelling about it. I hope I like it :)

Not a wet blanket at all, Marcia! It's great when different people like different things. It gives all of us as writers hope!

Laura said...

Happy Anniversary! I loved "An Abundance of Katherines" too. TGIF!!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Laura! And TGIF right back at ya!