"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Cathing up

With the super-awesome and fun release party behind me, I've been able to focus on other things besides my PowerPoint presentation and laminating backpack tags for gift pumpkins.

A HUGE THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO MENTIONED THE RELEASE OF THE EMERALD TABLET ON THEIR BLOGS!

With all the excitement of the past, I neglected to mention I tested for my 2nd Brown belt in Kung Fu.
The bad news...I totally spaced in the middle of Broadsword. Yes, I think this was a result of having so much book stuff on my mind.
The good news...I'm way less nervous doing stuff like this.
Forcing yourself to get up in front of a crowd is one of the best things you (or I as the case might be) can do. I remember how nervous I was for my very first Kung Fu test. Now, I only shake a little bit. True, I test in front of people I see every MWF at 7:30 in the morning. We're a small but consistent crowd. And highly supportive. Plus they've all promised to buy my book. If no one shows up for a few weeks straight I'll know they're avoiding me and my high pressure sales tactics.
Ever think about joining Kung Fu? I can't recommend it enough.

Sidenote: Remember The Matrix when Keanu Reeves wakes up and says, "I know Kung Fu"? Yeah? Well it's not quite that easy, but does make you feel that cool.

My new saying in life is "turn lemons into lemonade". Yes, I know this is old and cliche, but it's just perfect. When something which appears to not be the greatest thing in the world happens, stop moping and seriously ask yourself how you can make the absolute best of the situation. What is the best thing you can do to turn the negative situation around?

Also, what am I working on?
Revisions. Lots of them.
For four different books.
Ok, only one book at a time.

I'm working on my latest WIP which (wait for it) now has an awesome working title thanks to my critique group. Good Intentions. What do you think? Would you buy it based on title alone? It's upper YA so very different from The Emerald Tablet.

My biggest question is what I should revise next. I'm thinking I may do another pass on The Navel of the World (the second Emerald Tablet book) before sending it to my editor again.
Oh - one cool note about The Navel of the World - it has a working cover. I'm pretty psyched about the preliminary cover, and no, I can't share it yet. But these kids get to go so many cool places, the choices are wide open.

Final note on what I'm reading. I'm almost done with Skin Hunger by Kathleen Duey (on audio) and have just started The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke (on paper).

15 comments:

Christine M said...

Love the title for your new WIP. :)

PJ Hoover said...

I bet you do, Chris!

Gottawrite Girl said...

Can't wait to see it... You will be faced with an all-important question: Do you switch out your blogger icon? : )

Amy said...

Great title.

That you do Kung Fu is so totally COOL. I could not imagine doing something like that in front of people, even people I know.

You rock.

Angela said...

I'll be interested on your take of The Thief Lord. I don't want to say anything now because of spoilers, but let me know when you've finished it.

Barrie said...

Yes, I would definitely buy a book called Good Intentions. Especially if it's written by you!

PJ Hoover said...

Good question, Susan. Not for a while. Must keep that cover recognition going!

Thanks, Amy! I love it! And the fact that you can't imagine doing that means you should do it! It's fun and liberating!

I will let you know, Angela! I'm only about 100 pages in, but I'll bring it to the bookfair tomorrow and hopefully read while I'm on shift!

Thanks, Barrie! I'd read anything written by you! I can't wait to read ISDDM in December!

Thanks for visiting!

Beth Kephart said...

You do Kung Fu too?

You are too much!

Carrie Harris said...

Yay for the working cover, and I can't wait to read a YA by you! :)

I do (on rare occasions) Tai Jutsu. And yeah, it does make me feel kewl.

keri mikulski :) said...

Love the title. I've always wanted to learn Kung Fu.

Devon Ellington said...

Sounds great.

I suggest doing another revision on the next book in your series first, getting it to your editor, and then moving on to something else without it hanging over your head.

PJ Hoover said...

I do, Beth! It's really nice to get out of the house and interact and stretch my mind!

Thanks, Carrie! And you are kewl! I always knew that!

You should start, Keri! There's no day like today!

Good advice, Devon! We'll see if it fits in with the big writing plan!

Thanks for visiting, everyone! Hope you're having a great week!

Dawn Buthorn said...

Hi PJ, congrats on the working title and the brown belt. Both are tough to achieve!

As for making lemonade, I tend to overreact negatively to any change to the status quo, but then I try to find a positive in the situation, just one will do it. Once I do, I can relax and look at the bright side. For example, we may have to move overseas for my hubby's job. My first reaction: no f***ing way! But I started to think about it more, and what an amazing opportunity it could be. Now I'm almost hoping for it! *almost*.

Good luck with your revisions!

adrienne said...

How cool that you do Kung Fu. My husband tried to talk me into taking karate along with the kids, but I've been too chicken.

PJ Hoover said...

Wow, Dawn, that is kind of exciting - moving overseas! But yeah, scary. Change can be scary, but there is a positive side to everything.

Take it, Adrienne! It feels great! And there is so nothing to be chicken of.

Thanks for visiting!