"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Monday, October 27, 2008

Details from the Big Day

You'd have thought it was a wedding. Everyone was staring at me.

So many people came out to support me. And I had awesome little pumpkins with candy corn and laminated backpack tags as party favors. See the way I'm thinking, it's much harder to throw away something laminated, especially when it already has a clip on it ready to hang on a backpack zipper.
Oops, just realized I forgot to put these on my kids' backpacks these mornings.


First and most important, Team Emerald Tablet. My son was thrilled to help set up, his specialty being stacking the water bottles.

So what to do at a release party?
First, have lots of candy for the kids. The punch was also a hit.

My awesome editor, Madeline Smoot, introduced me to the over 150 people who showed up (!).

I showed my book trailer (note - I need LOUDER speakers).
And then I gave a presentation featuring tons on pictures, PowerPoint animation (a new skill for me), a reading of the first few pages of The Emerald Tablet, and a quiz with giveaways.

Featured in the prize pumpkins were
We sold out of books and took orders for tons more!

Before the party, my books were actually on the shelf (yes, right up there with The Hunger Games and Libba Bray)!

Honestly, thank you so much, everyone, for all the support with this release! I had such a great time and appreciated everything more than you can believe!

AND THANK YOU SO MUCH, GOTTAWRITE GIRL, FOR THE AWESOME VIRTUAL RELEASE PARTY!
Head over there to check out even more pictures today!

35 comments:

Christine M said...

Congratulations on a great day!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Chris!

Cynthia Leitich Smith said...

Congratulations! We had a great time, and you did an AMAZING job with the event. Sorry we had to make such a quick showing--I'm supposed to be elevating, but I couldn't miss it! Hopefully, I can grab your autograph soon; I bought an extra for a giveaway.

PJ Hoover said...

Thank you so much, Cyn, and thanks for coming (and of course for buying the extra copy!!!). I so appreciate it.
It was wonderful to see so many supportive faces in the crowd and I appreciate everything you do!
Take care and hope your foot is better soon :)

Jill Douglass said...

We had a great time! Congratulations!

PJ Hoover said...

Thank you so much for coming, Klattenhoff gang! I so appreciate it!

Beth Kephart said...

This is one of the most exciting release parties I've ever heard of! 150 people is gi-normous, selling out is gi-normous, and to have Team Emerald Tablet in place, fully synchronized, is a gift you will never forget.

I'm so happy for you!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks so much, Beth! I loved Team Emerald Tablet. And the best part is everyone was so excited to wear the t-shirts! I've got a great family!
Thanks for visiting :)

beth said...

Wow! That all sounds like an amazing dream come true! Congratulations!!!!

Angela said...

Kay I know i'm totally lame, but I'm tearing up here! I get so happy when a writer gets to live out the dream, and it's an honor to have it shared it with you via your blog.

Stacy Nyikos said...

Yippee for you and The Emerald Tablet!!!!!!!

adrienne said...

That's a great-looking team you've got there! Congratulations!

Jim Danielson said...

Congrats to Team Emerald Tablet!

WOW!!! 150+

Kelly said...

Wow, Tricia! Awesome :)

(Love the name up on the marquee.)

Sheri said...

Sounds like a smashing success!

Off topic... Your kids have the glossiest, blondest hair I've ever seen!

PJ Hoover said...

It was like a dream, Beth! Thank you so much!

Angela, that makes me tear up! I so appreciate your well wishes and thoughts!

Thanks, Stacy! Go Dragon Wishes, go!

Thanks, Adrienne! The little ones are pretty cute in their t-shirts I think!

Thanks, Jim! Yes, a GREAT turnout!

Thanks, Kelly! The name on the marquee was a huge thing! I had to get a picture!

Thanks, Sheri! It was great fun!
Yes on the blond hair! I think it's some eastern European gene.

Thanks so much everyone for visiting and commenting!

Vivian said...

OMG! 150 people! You totally rock! I am so thrilled for you and am so glad you shared this event with us. Congrats, PJ!

GutsyWriter said...

I just discovered your blog and saw the launch of your new book. I wish you nothing but success.

PJ Hoover said...

Thank you, Vivian! It kind of feels like a faint dream at this point!

Thanks, Gutsy Writer, and thanks for visiting! I so appreciate your well wishes!

keri mikulski :) said...

Wow! What an amazing day! Congratulations! ;)

Carrie Harris said...

150 people!!! I'm thrilled that you had such a terrific showing! And you even got to see your name in lights.

I'm doing the Carrie Happy Dance (tm) for you.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Keri and Carrie! Yes, seeing my name in lights was cool!
Thanks for visiting!

Devon Ellington said...

Fantastic! Congratulations!

Marcia said...

This looks like such a great time! Congratulations!

gabe said...

Must be nice ... all the best!

Angela said...

Wooo-hooo .... sounds like a blast!

Happy Release Day!!!!

Amy said...

That is SO COOL!

Kimberly Derting said...

OMG, that is amazing! I'm so excited for you, what an amazing experience. CONGRATS! CONGRATS! And, oh yeah, CONGRATS!!!

PJ Hoover said...

Thank you, Devon, Marcia, Gabe, Angela, Amy, and Kimberley for the well wishes! I wish you all could have been there!
I really appreciate you visiting and hope you're having a great week!

TJ Brown said...

YAY PJ! What a fabulous launch. How exciting for you!
Teri

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Teri!

Patty P said...

Would have LOVED to have seen you in all your book party glory!
What a dream it must have been. Big congratulations!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Patty! I'd have loved it if you could have been there! One day we'll meet!

Lapillus said...

It looks like it was an awesome launch party! Congrats!!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Casey! It was fun!
Have fun with NaNo.