"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Friday, October 03, 2008

Five on a Friday

Hope everyone had a great week! And yay for the weekend ahead!

Tomorrow marks 11 years of marriage for me and the husband. Hard to believe the time has passed so quickly! I'm ready to head back to Bora Bora (the place of our honeymoon). Yes, things are very different there. We biked around the island, which was a total of 20 miles, and ate the best poi on Earth.



Here are my five for the week:

1) Can you say week off revisions? I've been hooked on reading. I finished Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr. I think had I known more about what the book was about I may have enjoyed it more. The book is not so much a faerie book as a book dealing with a girl recovering from being raped and having no control over her life. It was so very little like Wicked Lovely, and I was not expecting that at all.

2) After coffee at BookPeople with Jenny Ziegler and Carla Birnberg (Mizfit), I headed up to the children's department and bought:
The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Vol. 1: The Pox Party by M. T. Anderson
Undercover by Beth Kephart
An Abundance of Katherines by John Green
The Great Ice Battle (Secrets of Droon, 5) by Tony Abbott

I'm reading An Abundance of Katherines currently and love it so far. There have been a couple parts I laughed at so hard I thought I might cry.

3) It was time for another Amazon order, so I ordered:
Screwball by Keri Mikulski
House of Dance by Beth Kephart
The Unnameables by Ellen Booraem (fellow Class of 2k8 member)

4) Thanks to Dominique at The Book Vault for the review of The Emerald Tablet!

5) Yesterday within one hour:
  • a roadrunner ran across the street in front of me
  • a snake sat on our front porch soaking up the sun
  • a deer stood on the sidewalk five feet from the car

Have a great weekend!

27 comments:

beth said...

Hmm...I've not read Ink Exchange yet, but thanks for the heads up. That actually sounds more appealing to me than the premise of Wicked Lovely.

Also, I'm definitely adding An Abundance of Katherines to my list...

PJ Hoover said...

Read Ink Exchange and we can compare notes, Beth!
And yes, add An Abundance of Katherines. I love it so far!
See ya!

carla said...

happy anniversary.

I LOVED An Abundance of Katherines.

he went to kenyon college with me!

PJ Hoover said...

That's right, Carla! I forgot, but I think you told me that once. Was he as funny in person as his YouTube videos?
And thanks for the anniversary wishes!

Devon Ellington said...

You're a wildlife haven, aren't you?

PJ Hoover said...

I am, Devon :) Even when I got the broom and tried to encourage the snake to move. Which it did, but behind some rocks on the porch.
Now we're avoiding the rocks.

Amy said...

Have a great weekend, and HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Amy! Enjoy your tomatoes!

C.R. Evers said...

~sigh~ Bora Bora. that's on my list of top five places I'd like to go. I must go wipe the drool off my computer now.

PJ Hoover said...

It was like paradise, Christy! I'd love to go back someday. Maybe even take the kids. Or not :)
Have a great weekend!

keri mikulski :) said...

Happy Anniversary! Enjoy your weekend!

And also enjoy SCREWBALL. :)

Debby G said...

Happy anniversary!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Debby! Pot roast and wine for dinner!

PJ Hoover said...

I know I'll enjoy Screwball, Keri! I'm so excited for it to come!

Sheri said...

*beep, beep* - just showing my age there... I grew up with Saturday monring cartoons and the road runner was #1. I never saw a real road runner before...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Sheri (of my generation :) ).
Seeing a real roadrunner is cool - like you see it and you know instantly that's what it is. I never saw one until I loved to TX.
Have a great weekend!

Jim D said...

The only roadrunner I've ever seen was in the cartoons.

I had to smile at your comment "I never saw one until I loved to TX."

Happy Anniversary!

Jim D

PJ Hoover said...

Not only did I love to TX, Jim, I also moved to TX. Keep Austin Weird.
Thanks for the anniversary wishes!

Anna Lefler said...

Happy Anniversary, PJ! We just celebrated our eleventh as well just a couple weeks ago. Your trip sounds amazing. Congrats!

Beth Kephart said...

What the heck, lady.... Oh dear! What if I disappoint? I, I, I: Well, I thank you.

And as for Bora Bora: What is poi?

Tabitha said...

Happy Anniversary!! 11 years, seems like both yesterday and forever, doesn't it? We're coming up on 8 years, and that's how it feels to me. :)

I *loved* An Abundance of Katherines! I recently re-read it, and enjoyed it just as much the second time. :)

PJ Hoover said...

How awesome, Anna! Happy Anniversary right back at you! Or did I already wish you that on your blog?
The trip was amazing!

Beth, for our tea party I will make us poi! It's the most fabulous yummy thing with taro root (I think) and sugar.
And you could never disappoint!

It is hard to believe 11 years has gone by, Tabitha! But when I look at the pictures from our honeymoon I do look younger! Yikes!
What a recommendation that you read Katherines a second time. But I can see that!

Have a great weekend!

Gottawrite Girl said...

Wow. Eleven years. You are a love-warrior! Have a WONDERFUL time, PJ! And thanks for the post!

Vivian said...

Wahoo! Happy, Happy Anniversary! Here's to many more!

PJ Hoover said...

Love-warrior :) I like that, Susan! I'll have to share it with my husband! Thanks!

Thanks for the anniversary wishes, Vivian!

Marcia said...

Happy anniversary! I also loved An Abundance of Katherines. I had trouble believing one guy could date that many Katherines, but I let it slide because of the book's many strengths.

PJ Hoover said...

Marcia, I had the exact same thought but also decided to just go with it.
How funny!