"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Thursday, October 09, 2008

Five on a Friday

Happy Friday (or Thursday night as I'm way on the ball this evening!) Hope it's been a great week all around!

Here are my five for the week. Take a couple minutes and post yours, also!

1) Someday when I'm rich and famous and have a bigger house, I want a carousel horse collection. I'm not sure I'd actually want a Merry-go-round in the back yard, but I'd love having a different style animal in each room of the house. It's nice to know, thought, that for just under a million dollars I could have a giant carousel with 90 figures and 2 chariots, if I wanted.
This site has a tone of great ones. There's the Tortoise and the Sea Dragon. The Hippocampus and the Rhino. And I have to say - I'm pretty partial to the ladybug.
Which would you pick?


2) I'm feeling a bit international! Thanks to Maureen in New Zealand for posting the book trailer for The Emerald Tablet on her blog! Head over and check it out. And say 'Hi' halfway around the world!

3) I finished Tithe by Holly Black and was about to start The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale but decided I'd really like to read Valiant by Holly Black next. So tomorrow it's off to the bookstore for a bit of shopping.

4) It's a four day weekend for me and the kids. Teacher work days, I think, along with Columbus Day. And speaking of the weekend, if you live in Austin, please come by and see me on Saturday at the Hill Country Book Festival at the Georgetown Library. I present right after The Biscuit Brothers (whom kids love). So bring the kids on out, listen to some music, and then hang around to listen to me talk about how great science fiction really is!

5) When life seems overwhelming, make a list!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

25 comments:

keri mikulski :) said...

Have fun at the book festival and enjoy the long weekend!!

Kelly said...

I have got to get back to list making! I am so far behind with everything. Thanks for reminding me, Tricia :)

Marcia said...

Have a great weekend!

Point 5 is so, so true.

Christine M said...

I like the Sea Dragon I think. It's always good to have a plan on how to spend all that excess money we hope to have some day!

Enjoy your weekend and the book festival.

We had off yesterday - and will again on Monday. Makes for crazy weeks around here.

Carrie Harris said...

Hmmm. It's a toss up between the flamingo and the caterpillar. The flamingo because it's one of my favorite animals (It's a bird! It's pink! It likes to stand on one leg!). The caterpillar because it just looks cool!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Keri!!! You too!

LOL, Kelly. I needed to remind myself. Things seems out of control at times and once I make a list I always feel better.

Thanks, Marcia! So agree!

The sea dragon is nice, Chris. There are some amazing ones. And yes, plans for spending excess money are fun to make!
Thanks! It's a four day weekend here!

The flamingo and the caterpillar! Both great choices, Carrie! There are way too many cool ones. Thus the need for the 90 figure carousel!

Have a great weekend!

Stacy Nyikos said...

I'm not sure many will vote for the following endearing carousel character, given his rather awkward name, so I'll throw my hat in the ring for the wild ass. He isn't half bad looking :-)

Stacy

Gottawrite Girl said...

Lists. Love them. The save me in juggling cube-land, my blog, and writing for Lucy Mag. I just throw it all down on paper and start doing and checking off.

: )

Have fun this weekend!

beth said...

Have fun! And let us know what you think of Holly Black's books.

C.R. Evers said...

I've Read Goose Girl and LOVED it. I'm sure you'll like it too, once you get to it.

Have a great weekend!

Christy

PJ Hoover said...

Perfect, Stacy! Wild ass! Though you'll have to get a dragon also in celebration of your book!

Lists save me too, Susan! There is so much power in just getting your arms around everything you need to do!

I will, Beth! I did like Tithe, enough to want to read Valiant next. But I see it's in the same world but with different characters. This is a growing trend, isn't it?

I've heard such great things about it, Christy! How could I not pick it up! And I did get five pages in, but my mind was swimming and thus I needed to take a break and make a list! :)

Thanks for visiting!

Vivian said...

The carousel animals are incredible! Hard to choose, but I'd say my favorites are the lion and lion cub.

Have a great weekend!

PJ Hoover said...

It is hard to choose, Vivian! There are SO many awesome, unique ones. I love them all!

Anna Lefler said...

I'm sooo jealous that you have Monday off! Have a great weekend!!

:^) Anna

PJ Hoover said...

You don't, Anna? But didn't Columbus discover America and all? I mean kind of. Well, at least he was the most recent discoverer. :)

Don Tate II said...

Great seeing you today, too! It always helps to see a familiar friendly face when doing these things. I wasn't able to stay till the afternoon. My son's not a BB fan and he was fit to be tied by the time I finished. See you later this week.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Don! The family showed up and the BB drew a crowd, so all was good!
See you soon!

Beth Kephart said...

I just made a list, but it made me sad. I have to write five stories between now and Sunday night. Client stories.

But: It's sunny and gorgeous outside.

But: The leaves are changing.

But: I want to go to the beach and be irresponsible.

PJ Hoover said...

Beth, how about we split the stories and head to the beach together?????

Sheri said...

I liked the cheetah and the second, larger, greener frog, but I think I'd have to also be traditional and get a horse - the paint one (that's brown and white spots for you non-horsy people out there...)

I will definitely make it to Austin one of these days! And I agree, somehow lists make life feel more manageable. Now where did I put that dog-gone thing…

Sheri said...

Oh I forgot to say... you know how I write up houses for a living - when they come on the market I write the brochures, etc. blah, blah, blah. Well, this one mansion I did in the summer, had carousel animals in several of the rooms. I remember a horse and a rabbit.

Sheri said...

Oh and last, last thing, I promise...

We don't have off for Columbus Day either!!! I think it's wrong, but a lot of people are saying, why should we since he really discovered the Bahamas anyway and whose that other guy… Vespucci Amerigo really discovered America... I think we should have off.

We have off every other year for Columbus and every other year for MLK Day. I think it's un-American and we should have off for both!

PJ Hoover said...

Hey Sheri! So cool about the house with the carousal animals! Is it still for sale? Maybe I'm destined to buy it :)
I agree - no matter what else I have, I need a horse also. It seems perfect and fitting and all!
And yes, you should have Columbus Day and MLK Day off every year!

Vivian said...

By the way, you should read The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke, if you haven't already. You'd appreciate the house with a magical carousel.

PJ Hoover said...

A magical carousal sounds awesome, Vivian! I will have to read it! Thanks!