"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Monday, October 13, 2008

Hill Country Book Fest & I almost have a book!

Yes, I am starting to get excited! The Emerald Tablet should be out REALLY soon! And being invited to do things like The Hill Country Book Festival make it seem so much more real!


I had a blast! I presented after The Biscuit Brothers, so I had a pretty nice turnout (maybe 50 people counting the babies in the back). I made a point of thanking everyone for suffering through The Biscuit Brothers to see me.


Lots of questions. A really interactive and smart crowd. My PowerPoint turned out to work well for the setup and the crowd, and my biggest note on PowerPoint - the more pictures, the better. I have quite a few but could certainly add more.
My husband and kids showed up just before The Biscuit Brothers, so they were there for my presentation. I told my son to prepare a question, so he asked, "What's it like to be a famous author?" I told him I'd let him know once I was one. :)
Afterward, everyone got free ARCs of The Emerald Tablet which I signed. See the nice line giving away free books will draw! My son sat with me the whole time, getting books out for me to sign and making sure everyone got a handout with the fun activities.


Thank you so much to the Georgetown Public Library for having me! Please invite me back in the future :)

I managed to get there right at the start of the day where I also saw presentations by:

Liz Garton Scanlon (biggest lesson learned here - interaction is key with kids). Liz does the best presentation complete with singing and unloading her pockets in celebration of A Sock is a Pocket for your Toes.


Cynthia Leitich Smith & Greg Leitich Smith (who are always fabulous). Cynthia read Jingle Dancer, and Greg gave us a humorous presentation on the evolution of the cover for his novel Ninjas, Piranhas, and Galileo.


Next up was Don Tate who does the most amazing thing of calling a couple kids up out of the audience and drawing them! How awesome is that! If only I could draw :)


Now all focus turns toward getting read for my book release party! Did I mention it :)
Sunday, October 26th, 2008
4:00 pm
BookPeople
Books, Fun, Games, Prizes

27 comments:

Beth Kephart said...

My goodness, PJ, you have all the fun! And I love that you have all the fun. What a way to celebrate something you've loved into being.

Jim Danielson said...

I can't make the actual release party, but is there a cyberspace release party...????

C.R. Evers said...

whoooo hoooo! That looks like a great event! I'm excited for you and your upcoming release! *\0/* Go PJ! :0)

Christy

PJ Hoover said...

It was so much fun, Beth! Thank you so much!!!! I really appreciate your happy thoughts.

Cyber Party, Jim? Probably in early November when I'm celebrated on the Class of 2k8 blog.
Thanks!

Christy - I love your cheerleader characters! Thank you so much!

Thanks for visiting!

beth said...

That sounds amazing! And have fun at the release party!

Sheri said...

Sounds like fun and that you did really well. I don't think I'd know what to say to a group of people? Funny, I used to teach for 16 years...

Gottawrite Girl said...

Absolutely excellent. So exciting, PJ! I hope you post something VERY celebratory on your blog that day - just like Google changes it's images for holidays... And, like Jim, WE should have a cyber party for you! We can post a happy release day blog on your behalf!!!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you!!! You did a stellar job presenting and connecting with the crowd. Well done and good luck!

Caryn Caldwell said...

That sounds like a great time! Glad to see all the crowds there -- the more people who know, the better. And I love how you had your son ask a question. Great idea! I bet it helped get the ball rolling.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks so much, Beth! It's like planning a wedding, but I don't get to wear a big white dress. :)

That's where PowerPoint saves me, Sheri! If I have slides prepared ahead of time, I feel so much better about what I'm saying. Guess I need to practice giving presentations without PowerPoint, also!

I love the idea of a Happy release day blog, Susan! Does that mean you'll post one? :) I'd be thrilled!

Thank you so much, Anonymous! That is really great to hear!

My son was very excited to ask a question, Caryn, and also wanted to answer every question I asked :) Of course that wouldn't be fair since he's around me all the time and knows all my favorite stuff!

Thanks so much for visiting, everyone!

Marcia said...

What a great day! I can feel the celebratory vibes. Your son's involvement must have really made you feel the family support. The creativity of different people's presentations never ceases to amaze me.

keri mikulski :) said...

Looks like a great time! Thanks for sharing the pics.

A release is so exciting! Is the release party in Texas?

Carrie Harris said...

It sounds like a fabulous program! I've got to start printing this stuff out and take it to my library to show them what they're missing!

PJ Hoover said...

I so agree, Marcia! Seeing other people's presentations is a great way to learn more and see what can be done. People are so creative!

The release party is in Texas, Keri! Austin!

Yes, Carrie! You should! And make sure to tell them about my book :)

Hope everyone is having a great week!

Jason said...

Congrats, PJ! That sounds like a lot of fun, and it sounds like you did really well. I'm excited for this book to come out.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks so much, Jason!!!!!

TJ Brown said...

Yaya for pix! Yay that you had a good time!
Teri

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Teri!

laurasmagicday said...

You look SO great. Very at ease. I always recommend putting a dog in a powerpoint presentation:) Congrats on such a wonderful event. What a line! You go girl. And your son is adorable. Can't wait to see your book on the shelves.

Paper Girl Productions said...

fantastic! congrats!

Angela said...

Wow-sounds awesome! Please keep us posted as events progress--I love living vicariously through you!

Vivian said...

Sounds like the best day. So cool that your son is both your number one fan and fantastic publicist?

Wahoo!

Sheryl said...

October 24?!! I'm so excited for you! We must have a BL-AUNCH PARTY (Blog+launch).

I love reading about racheting up your speaking engagements. Hopefully I'll be needing your advice soon.

Good luck on the launch!

PJ Hoover said...

Thank you, Laura! I actually didn't feel nervous hardly at all. It was such a receptive audience!
A dog? OK! I can do that!

Thank you, Paper Girl, and thanks so much for visiting!

So I'm not boring you to tears, Angela, with talking about events? Here I was thinking today maybe I should actually talk about writing every one in a while :)

My son is awesome, Vivian! And he's so darling, too. I'll have to make sure he can help with books at the party, too :)

Welcome back, Sheryl! You will totally be fretting over your own release party soon I'm sure!

Thanks for visiting!

carmenoliver said...

Tricia, you were a total asset to the Hill Country Book Festival. We loved having you! Thanks for participating and we hope you'll come back next year! Maybe next year, you'll be presenting about your second book in the trilogy!

carmenoliver said...

Tricia, Thanks for the awesome presentation. The Hill Country Book Festival loved having you. We hope to see you back next year, this time presenting your second book in the trilogy!

PJ Hoover said...

Thank you so much for letting me be a part of it, Carmen! You did such a great job with everything! I am totally impressed!
See you soon!