"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Sunday, October 05, 2008

Is life really like a roller coaster?

I've heard a gazillion times how the writing life (and, OK, life probably in general) is like a roller coaster. Some days are great. A good critique and the world is a happy place. Other days not so good. Maybe a rejection or bad critique and things look a bit gloomier.
My thoughts are we all go through this. But, also, today the analogy got me thinking. When I'm on a roller coaster and heading up the hill, I'm ready to pee my pants. And when I'm at the top, I have no control over my life. It's halfway down that first hill that the fun kicks in for me.
My conclusion?
The writing life is like how a roller coaster looks. Not how a roller coaster feels.

Anyway, some things which made me happy.

1) First off, The Emerald Tablet now has a book trailer! Click on the image below to check it out! And if you find you can't help yourself, please feel free to repost anywhere!



2) Second (yes, I know I'm using numbers and saying second which is redundant, but whatever), there's nothing like reading a review from someone you think REALLY enjoyed your book. I'm thrilled people are reading it at all, but when I get a review like Mrs. V gave me, it makes me extra special happy. My favorite line from the review:
"The book had a perfect ending that made me wish the next installment was already available."
Thanks, Mrs. V!

3) Third, I got an email the other day (in an authorly manner) that brought actual tears to my eyes! Really, this is a feeling which is beyond words.

4) Fourth, my awesome critique partner, Chris, posted this picture on her blog. It's from her daughter's dollhouse, showing what the doll would prefer to be doing besides homework! That doll has some serious good taste when it comes to reading!


5) Fifth, The Emerald Tablet has been nominated for The Cybils in the science fiction and fantasy category! Thanks!

Reading update, not because I think you guys are dying to know but because it helps me keep track!
I finished An Abundance of Katherines by John Green this weekend and started The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Vol. 1: The Pox Party by M. T. Anderson. So far it's got me hooked! I've also gotten much better about updating my books on Goodreads, so if you're a member, please friend me!

Also, at the bookstore today I bought:
Tithe by Holly Black
Goose Girl by Shannon Hale
City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
along with the next three Droon books (6,7,8), two Scooby Doo books, and a Kung Fu Panda book (and also the gift card for a birthday party which was the main reason for our trip).

Hope everyone has a fun and productive week! Mine will be largely filled with preparing for The Hill Country Book Festival. I've decided to go with the PowerPoint presentation, so that's top priority for the week. And if you happen to be in the area, please come see me!

29 comments:

Christine M said...

Awesome trailer! Really - if I hadn't already read the book I'd want to go read it right now. Actually, it makes me want to read it again!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Chris! I love it and love the music, also! It's so energetic!
Have a great week!

Kelly said...

Energetic is the word, Tricia! It's great.

And I love Chris's dollhouse picture. Awesome :)

Hang on for the ride, you're going through a great time right now!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Kelly! Isn't the dollhouse picture great! I was psyched when I saw it!
Yep - I better not let go. I was never the person who put their hands up on the roller coasters. I wonder what that means.

Beth Kephart said...

what a fantastic trailer!!!! I was sitting here at 5:50 AM watching and suddenly I felt like dancing. Can't wait to read it! I want to go find it in a bookstore, and make a stir when I buy it.

Beth Kephart said...

what a fantastic trailer!!!! I was sitting here at 5:50 AM watching and suddenly I felt like dancing. Can't wait to read it! I want to go find it in a bookstore, and make a stir when I buy it.

keri mikulski :) said...

Loved the trailer. :) It makes me even more excited to read TET. :)

Yes, it is a roller coaster. Enjoy the ride. :)

beth said...

Goose Girl was very cool. I'm thinking of getting the sequel, Enna Burning, next.

Also: doll house = awesome.

Carrie Harris said...

Hope you like Tithe. I just got it from the library a few weeks back and am now on the sequel. It's a lot less... er... graphic than Valiant.

Jason said...

That dollhouse is awesome. That doll has good taste.

I'm totally glad to hear about all your good reviews and news and things. It sounds like things are going great.

That trailer is totally awesome, by the way. I can't wait to read this book.

TJ Brown said...

We have tithe and the city of Bones too! My son is a fantasy freak:) Love the trailer, congrats on the good news!
Teri

Devon Ellington said...

Congrats on all the good news!

C.R. Evers said...

That is an AWESOME trailer!


Good insight on the roller coaster 'thang' I never thought of it that way before. The "down" part of a real roller coaster really is fun! Not so in writing! Someone needs to come up with a better analogy. :0)

Congrats on all the great stuff going on with The Emerald Tablet! I can't wait to read it! The trailer makes me want to read it even more.

Christy

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Beth K.! Did you put on your awesome red dancing shoes? And any stir in the bookstore is a good stir!

Thanks, Keri! So I am going up or down on the roller coaster? I'm still trying to figure that out :)

I've heard so many great things about Goose Girl, Beth R, that I figured I had to read it! And I LOVED the dollhouse picture! Chris rocks!

I hope I love Tithe, Carrie! And I'm looking forward to Valiant also! They're pretty books, too!

Thanks, Jason! And welcome back to the blogging world! We're happy you're here (no matter how seldom you can stop by)!

Fantasy freaks are good, Teri! They're the best kind of freaks!

Thanks for visiting everyone!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Devon! And congrats on all you've been doing!

Yes, Christy! Exactly! We need a better analogy. Any ideas?
And I love the trailer! I'm so glad other people do also!

Happy week!

Gottawrite Girl said...

I oggled your book trailer, how cool! And wanted to mention BookSwim, which is like Netflix for books, and saves alotta money!

Tabitha said...

Awesome book trailer!! :) And that doll-sized book is adorable! :)

I've read Tithe, and just finished Valiant by Holly Black. Tithe was okay. I think I'd have liked it better if I hadn't read Wicked Lovely. But I enjoyed Valiant more than Ink Exchange. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Amy said...

That dollhouse picture is AWESOME!

Congrats on all the good news!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Susan! And thanks for the BookSwim recommendation! I've been way into starting a new book collection recently (if you couldn't tell!). :)

I'm so excited to read Tithe, Tabitha! It's next on the list! We can definitely compare notes!

Thanks, Amy! I love the dollhouse picture! So darling!

Thanks for visiting!

Rebecca said...

LOVE the trailer!

And the dollhouse picture got a good chuckle out of me. Too cute!

Vivian said...

Your book trailer is made up of all sorts of awesome! Did you help design it?

And Chris's picture is so cool.

Enjoy the ride, P.J. You are in for a great adventure!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Rebecca! I need some of that creativity!

Thanks, Vivian! I picked the music and the pictures, so I guess so! But someone else put it all together! I need to learn how to do this!

Lenore said...

If I had a dollhouse, I know what my dolls would be reading :)

So cute!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Lenore!
Seems like I could make small books and give them away as free-bees :)
They are so darling!

Barrie said...

Great great video!

Angela said...

Great booktrailer! Thanks for sharing it with us! How exciting!!!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Barrie and Angela! I love it!

Anna Lefler said...

Awesome trailer! Love it! And I'm SO going to friend you on GoodReads.

Incoming!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Anna! I'll look for you!