"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Thursday, October 16, 2008

A Pre-empt of Five on a Friday

Because I got books! OK, only five of them. Drop shipped to my publisher. Not yet in stores. Supposed to ship from Amazon end of the month (so I'm told).

But I got books!

My son smiled when I handed him the very first copy. And then of course my daughter wanted one, too. Yes, two down. Three to go though they are already accounted for.


Sidenote - If I create one more piece of swag, my eyes may fall out. Here's what I've created in the last number of months:
  • Posters
  • Bookmarks
  • Small postcards
  • Big postcards
  • Flyers
  • Business cards
  • School visits brochures
  • Activity sheets
  • Discussion Guides
  • T-shirts
Ack! I'm totally all swagged out. After getting my newly designed large postcards printed, I'm taking a break on the swag thing. But the postcards look nice, don't they.
Still—no more swag.

Today happened to be one of the social writing days. I had the pleasure of picking up Class of 2k8 president Jody Feldman from the airport today! She's in town for the UT/Missouri football game and, as coincidences may be, Cynthia and Greg Leithich Smith held a happy hour tonight at their fantastic downtown Austin home.
So Jody and I headed over there, had a late lunch at Whole Foods, picked out wine for the event, then headed to BookPeople where my editor happened to be with five copies of the really awesome, hot new release The Emerald Tablet.
Have you heard of it? No? Maybe I need more swag :)

Here's Jody at a really cool window display near BookPeople. I realize she has her eyes closed, but the display is way too cool to not post the picture!


Jody Feldman, author of The Gollywhopper Games, and Jo Whittemore, author of The Silverskin trilogy.
Erin Edwards and Anne Bustard, with Debbie Gonzales in the background. Debbie is talking at this Saturday's SCBWI meeting on voice. If you live in Austin, don't miss it! 11:00. Westlake B&N.
The pizza guy and Greg Leitich Smith dressed as Superman—kind of. Greg was kind enough to explain what the "waste" button did on the bathroom sink.
Me and Madeline Smoot, aka The Buried Editor, holding the hottest new release of the month.
OK, while at BookPeople, I bought a bunch of new books, but I don't have it in me to talk about them right now!

Happy weekend!

28 comments:

Gottawrite Girl said...

Yaye, PJ! Real, live books. So cool... I shouldn't be up at this hour, myself. But, whattyagonna do? Can't wait to hear about the release party, too!

beth said...

WOW!! How amazing! I know you are just thrilled. Congrats!!!

Christine M said...

The book looks great! Wow!

Carrie Harris said...

Woo hoo! They look fabulous!!!

keri mikulski :) said...

The book looks gorgeous. :) Congrats and enjoy! :)

Jim Danielson said...

I can feel the excitement all the way up here in Chicagoland!

I love that your son got the first copy.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Susan, Beth, Chris, Carrie, Keri, and Jim! They are really pretty!
I figure if I can read the first chapter without cringing, I should be OK. :)

jo-no-anne said...

Did you know that in both your picture of me and Jody AND the one Roger took of me and Jody my right boob is jacked up way higher than my left? I'm not at my most flattering. :o)

PJ Hoover said...

Wow, as observant as I am, Jo, I didn't even notice!

Cynthia Leitich Smith said...

Congratulations! So glad to see you and Jody last night!

Beth Kephart said...

What a happy day for you! And as I was reading through all your comments here I started to laugh (the boob comment got me going).

Sweet dreams, PJ!

Beth

laurasmagicday said...

BEAUTIFUL book. So excited for you! You look like you are having a blast too:) Congratulations, and good luck with everything, you lil' swag mistress you:)

carla said...

have a great weekend.

CAN NOT WAIT FOR NEXT WEEKEND!

Angela said...

Wow, you must be so excited..and exhausted!

Vivian said...

Oh. Your book looks Beautiful...with a capital B.

Rest up, my dear. You are going to have an amazing year. Happy Book Launch!

PJ Hoover said...

Thank you for hosting such a wonderful party, Cyn! I had a blast!

The boob comment was funny, Beth, wasn't it! It got a laugh from me :)
Sweet dreams for you, too! And I'm ready for bed and dreams here totally!

Thanks, Laura! Swag mistress. Nice title. Maybe I'll make new business cards with that on it.

Thanks, Carla! Me either! Or is it me neither?

Very excited, Angela! And exhausted! But in a good way :)

Thank you so much, Vivian! And thanks for all the wonderful support you always give!

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

Marcia said...

You've got books! Doesn't it feel wonderful? Congrats!

Patty P said...

OOOOh! What a cover! What a thrill! I'm so excited for you. Not only is your book published, but it is beautifully published.
Makes a difference, don't you think???

Devon Ellington said...

Congrats!

I meant to tell you before that I really like your cover.

PJ Hoover said...

Very exciting, Marcia! More so each minute!

Thanks, Patty! It looks even prettier in person!

Thank you, Devon! Did you ever see the ARC cover? It's way cooler than that!

Happy weekend all around!

Tabitha said...

Ooooo, that's awesome!!! :) I can't wait for my own copy to arrive next week. :) :)

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Tabitha! I'm not sure if your copy will arrive next week or the week after. But if I hear anything, I'll keep you posted!

Jody Feldman said...

I just got back home. It was so great meeting you, especially because we actually had some real time together. Thanks again for everything!

PJ Hoover said...

I had such a great time, Jody! You are more than welcome! Thanks for visiting :)

kbaccellia said...

Yahoo, Tricia!!!! You look great and so does your book!!! Congrats!

PJ Hoover said...

Double thank you to you, Kim!

Barrie said...

Wow! Enjoy the moment!! And thanks for sharing all these great photos!

PJ Hoover said...

You're welcome, Barrie! Can't wait for your book to come out in December!