Octavian Nothing - Not at all what I expected. Seriously. There's something wonderful in reading a book you know nothing about, especially when it's so different than you would think.
Same goes for a movie. Remember The Crying Game? I had no idea she was really a he, until...well, until they started panning the camera downward. OMG! But if I'd gone into the movie knowing, it would have been a totally different experience.
Ditto on The Sixth Sense.
What movie/book do you remember being totally surprised on?
Did I love Octavian Nothing? It was good. Really well written. But I'm not rushing to get the next book. It can keep its place lower on the list. So I've moved on to Tithe by Holly Black. And yes, Tabitha, even 100 pages in I totally get what you said about it being kind of ruined because you'd read Wicked Lovely first. Still, it's great writing, love the cover and the story so far, and I want to know what happens.
Couple things of note here:
1) Thank you, Lenore, for the great review of The Emerald Tablet! Lenore's (some kind of relation), Eleanor, also reviewed The Emerald Tablet on the same blog a few months ago!
2) Devon Ellington has set up an incredible blog dealing with goals, dreams, resolutions, and all those other great things we need to do to survive! I highly encourage everyone to head over and check it out, copy the list, fill in the answers, and report back to Devon. I'm going to do it!
3) While in Oklahoma for Encyclomedia, I passed an ARC of The Emerald Tablet on to fellow Class of 2k8 member Stacy Nyikos's daughter. I'm thrilled to report it's been chosen as the read-aloud book for their classroom this month! It beat out Bridge to Terabithia, Ida B., Johnny Tremain, and one other one. Thanks, Stacy's daughter's class!
4) I've uploaded some classroom stuff for The Emerald Tablet to my website. There's a quiz, discussion guide, teaching guide, word search, coloring page, and a Lemurian Alphabet code breaking exercise. If you check it out and see a major typo, please let me know!
5) I've set my son up on GoodReads. Now he can track the books he's read and is totally psyched about it!
Hope the week is GREAT for everyone! Do something fun today!