"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Friday, November 14, 2008

Because BookPeople rocks! And Austin rocks!

We had a blast at the BookPeople SCBWI welcome party last night! So from now on, our SCBWI meetings will be at our amazing indie bookstore. Gotta love that.

Fun all around. Philip Yates dressed up like a pirate and read A Pirates Night Before Christmas. It was great, but too short! My kids wanted more! Great job, Philip!


Here's the middle grade panel. Yes, that's me in the middle, along with fab authors Lila Guzman, Jo Whittemore, Helen Hemphill, and Shana Burg moderated by Tim Crow, our Austin SCBWI RA.


And the YA panel featuring Varian Johnson, Jenny Ziegler (one day I will remember if it's "i before e" or "e before i" in her name), Margo Rabb, April Lurie, Brian Yansky, and Cynthia Leitich Smith moderated by Julie Lake.


There was also a picture book panel, but I didn't get any pics since it was at the same time as the MG panel.


My five for the week:

1) My son's artwork - a flower. Though he loved all the other ideas!


2) Water in my guest bathroom - officially hooked up. I tried to do it myself, but couldn't get the valve off. And since it was the middle of the day and I couldn't flush until the sink was fixed, I fast called the handyman. He's coming out again next week to fix the dryer vent. Why? Because I've crawled through the attic of fiberglass insulation enough.

3) It's time to set some goals. My homework for the week of Thanksgiving? To revisit my goals, set new ones, and develop plans to achieve them! Who's with me?

4) Eight hours of plane riding ahead. I'm thinking revision, laptop, and maybe even a nap.

5) Can I just say it's great when someone tells me they or their kids have read my book and liked it. And thanks for posting Amazon reviews! And for buying! And for reading! And for everything!

Have a great weekend!

23 comments:

Christine M said...

Looks like the BookPeople thing was loads of fun!

I like goals. Setting them is good. I'm with you.

I'm glad your bathroom is functional. That's good too.

And enjoy your plane ride.

PJ Hoover said...

Great on the goals, Chris! We should try to get the whole critique group on board :)

beth said...

Hey PJ: Did you see that Octavian Nothing's author is going to be in TX? From Cynsations:

Acclaimed author and National Book Award recipient, M. T. Anderson will be at BookPeople in Austin, Texas; at 7 p.m. Nov. 21. He discuss his books, sign copies of his work, and answer questions from the audience. There is limited space for this event. If you would like to attend, you must RSVP to rsvp@bookpeople.com to reserve a spot. Reminder: Justine Larbalestier and Scott Westerfeld will be appearing at 7:30 p.m. Nov. 19 at BookPeople!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Beth! I did! As I said to my husband this morning, if I had nothing else going on in my life, I'd make plans to totally go. But life's been busy, so I'm not pulling out a babysitting card for it :)
I'd love to see Scott and Justine, but once again, it's a busy, busy next week or so.

Beth Kephart said...

I would love to hear more about Miss Raab, whose NYT essay was so controversial a few months back that I found myself being asked about it at every turn. Was that talked about?

PJ Hoover said...

It wasn't mentioned last night, Beth, but a couple months ago at a happy hour I asked her about it and she said she never expected it to get so big!

Lenore said...

It's so nice to see you having so much fun - you deserve it :)

Angie Frazier said...

Wow, that looks like it was fun! And your son's artwork is gorgeous! very talented...

Amy said...

Have a great weekend, PJ. Love your son's artwork.

LOL on enough crawling through the fiberglass insulation. I'd be over it, too.

PJ Hoover said...

Thank you so much, Lenore! That's really nice of you to say!

You think he takes after his mom, Angie? On art, I kind of do. I don't draw people, but stuff like that I can do.

Thanks, Amy! Yes, no more fiberglass. It gets on everything and I feel it for weeks.

Thanks for visiting!

Devon Ellington said...

BookPeople looks like fun.

I'm working on my goals for next year, with the GDR stuff. It's challenging, but worth it.

Vivian said...

Sounds like a fantastic day! And I love your son's artwork--it is stunning.

PJ Hoover said...

Totally worth it, Devon! It's all about taking the time to sharpen the saw!

Thanks, Vivian! He's a talented little guy!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Lori Calabrese said...

Looks like it was a blast! I wish I lived close!

I was recently tagged at my blog, so it's my job to keep the game going, so tag you're it! :)

There are details at my blog, but please feel no obligation to play!

All the best,
Lori
www.loricalabrese.com

Anonymous said...

Tricia-

Your SCBWI group sounds like it has so much fun! I wish I lived closer!!!


Kim Baccellia

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks for the tag, Lori! I'm in!

I wish you did, too, Kim! That would be so much fun!

Thanks for visiting!

keri mikulski :) said...

Great week and great stuff. Love your son's pic.

Enjoy your trip. I ended up writing over 10000 words on the plane last weekend. Amazing what I can do without an internet hookup. :)

Carrie Harris said...

I am in total envy of your BookPeople events. I may have to move.

PJ Hoover said...

Amazing word count, Keri! That beats any number of words I've written in a day (I think my high is around 8500). Great job!

You should move, Carrie! It's a nice place for a book launch!

See ya, and Happy Monday!

carla said...

did you nap? work? read? what happened on The Plane! The Plane!

Gottawrite Girl said...

Very, very fun... Hi PJ! I am here again, finally able to TYPE again!!! Hope all is well with you... : ) Yours, Susan.

Barrie said...

Just think--you're on the plane as I type this comment! Great presentation today! You rock, PJ Hoover!

PJ Hoover said...

LOL, Carla! Read, napped, read, napped. Went to the potty whenever I wanted.

Glad you're back, Susan! Hope you're feeling great!

Thanks, Barrie! And you were funny and great as always! I can't wait for your book to come out!