"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

California Dreaming

Which I realize is the most predictable title possible, but I do love The Mamas and the Papas. It was one of the very first CDs I bought. I think Van Morrison or the Cure or maybe Echo and the Bunnymen was the first CD (way back in 1988).
Remember when CDs came out? LPs were $4.99 at Kemp Mill Records and then CDs came out for $15.99 and they always said the price would drop. Yeah, what happened? Did the price ever drop?

Before I forget, I have an interview over on LiveMom. Free book giveaway, so if you're interested, head over and leave a comment!

Anyway, back from California where I loved being on a panel with
PJ Hoover (me) (The Emerald Tablet, October 2008)
Stacy Nyikos (Dragon Wishes, October 2008)
Barrie Summy (I So Don't Do Mysteries, December 2008)
Zu Vincent (The Lucky Place, April 2008)
Courtney Sheinmel (My So-Called Family, October 2008)

(Barrie hadn't made it to town yet at this picture).

Highlights besides the actual panel (which went really well) included watching a Cultural Diversity panel with Stacy Nyikos, Belle Yang, Susan Goldman Rubin, Caryn Yacowitz, and Linda Joy Singleton.


I came home with these tasty, signed treats!



Another highlight was dinner at the Chinese restaurant. Here we are sans Courtney (who was actually staying about an hour away).


And why does this amuse me? (Yes, I did go back into the bathroom with my camera to take the picture).


Update on reading:
I finished City of Bones by Cassandra Clare which I really enjoyed (except for the twist which I saw coming to whole time and I have to say was kinda disappointing).
Am now reading Dragon Wishes by Stacy Nyikos (only about 20 pages left) - Fantastic, moving, I love this book.
Listening to The Magician: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott. So far so good.

I think I commented on about zero blogs while I was gone, so it doesn't mean I don't like anyone! It was the whole travel thing!

Hope everyone is having a great and productive week!

20 comments:

beth said...

I'm glad you had fun! The event sounds awesome!!

PJ Hoover said...

It was really fun and so nice to get together with people I've only met through the internet!
Thanks, Beth!

TJ Brown said...

I loved City of Bones! And I am so jealous you all got to get together. I'm so happy it went well!
Teri

Beth Kephart said...

What was the most surprising or unexpected thing one of your co-panelists said?

Tabitha said...

Sounds like it was fun!! :) I'm gonna have to pick up City of Bones. :)

Guess what I finished last week? You betcha, The Emerald Tablet! And I thoroughly enjoyed it, too. I'm really looking forward to the sequel! :)

adrienne said...

My, you are busy. Sounds like a fun event.
I would have brought the camera back to the bathroom, too :)

PJ Hoover said...

It was so much fun, Teri! Wish you could have been there!

Hmmm...good question, Beth. It was surprising when Barrie put a picture of her editor and a group of people up on the powerpoint and Courtney said, "OMG - that's my sister in that picture."

Thanks, Tabitha! I'm so glad you liked it. Thank you so much for reading it! Sequel - yes! I'm revising it now.

Yay, Adrienne! Glad I'm not the only one who would do something like that! And I'm busy this week, but then things calm down for December!

Thanks for visiting, everyone!

Sheri said...

Hey, just checking in to say a quick hello. Shish! California! I leave your blog for 18 days and boy have I missed a lot! That must have been great and loads of fun, I'm sure.

Will catch up when I have more time... back to NaNo...

miss ya!

Lapillus said...

Looks like you're having a blast with all these panels! I hope you're getting some great exposure for your book!

Barrie said...

It was a great weekend! Love the bathroom shot! I'm linking to you. Just so everyone can experience it. :)

PJ Hoover said...

So glad you checked in, Sheri! I know you've been busy and I'm so happy for you! Have fun for the rest of the month!

It's great exposure and fun, Casey! And I'm getting better about talking in front of people.

Thanks, Barrie! I'll have to link right back at ya! I'm here with Stacy in Texas! We hadn't seen enough of each other!

keri mikulski :) said...

Looks like a great time! And amazing books to take home. :)

Carrie Harris said...

Yeah, I saw the City of Bones twist coming too, and I kept HOPING I was wrong. But I wasn't. Waaah.

PJ Hoover said...

I did get some good books, Keri! The weather was great, and it was just a fun time all around!

Bingo, Carrie! I kept hoping I was wrong. Really interesting choice, I have to say. I bought City of Ashes yesterday and am going to read it pronto!

See ya!

Gottawrite Girl said...

Love the toilet photo. A surprising and ridiculous and LOVELY detail!

Vivian said...

P.J.,
You look like you're having so much fun. Thanks so much for sharing your adventures with us.

Beth Kephart said...

What a moment!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Susan! The toilet was amusing to say the least :)

Thanks for listening to them, Vivian!

A great moment, Beth! Life is full of wonder.

Thanks for visiting!

Christine M said...

I just gave you an award!

Laura said...

California???? So sorry I missed you. You weren't up in NorCal where you? Dang. Well, it looks like you had a great time, congrats on the book tour:) So exciting! And you still have time to read and write? You are amazing.