"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Ever been on the radio?


My big news? We booked a trip to DisneyWorld in May! Love Disney. It's magic.

What to say on a radio interview? Whatever it is, make sure you say it quickly! Yesterday I headed down to the University of Texas to record and interview for KUT, the college's radio station, advertising the party at BookPeople tonight!
My main message in the interview:

Buy Books, and Buy Local!

I've been seeing the thing running around the internet advertising to buy books as gifts for the holidays (and for anytime in general). Books are like the perfect gift. They aren't plastic and won't break and much of the time are printed right here in the USA. And I'm not even saying you need to buy The Emerald Tablet as a gift (though it is perfect for that 8-14 year old in your life).
Just buy books! One stop shopping. Does anything sounds better? Heck, you can order online and never even need to leave home.

When I get the link for the radio interview I'll post it. But trust me when I say it was short. But fun. And nice to get back to the UT campus. I took the opportunity to do some scene scoping for a YA I'm working on.

On the revision front, The Navel of the World (the second of the Forgotten Worlds Books) needed way more revisions than I thought. Which is great because it means I am now objective enough to see all the more changes it needs. Last revision I did was back in May. Subplots need pared way down or cut even more. Action needs moved up sooner and kept fluid through the whole beginning. The middle/end has enough plot and action driving it, but the beginning has a bit too much of that world building going on. Not that world building isn't important, but it can be blended in a bit better.

Also, in case you've been holding out on ordering The Emerald Tablet, I noticed Amazon has dropped its price. No, I have no idea why. I try to understand but it boggles the mind and confuses. Also, now it has three reviews! If you've read and you want to post a review, I'd totally appreciate it (Mom? Dad? Where are the reviews you promised?)

Love this art from my son. Any guesses what it is?


Saturday I head off to California to CLA where I'll be on a panel with Class of 2k8 authors
PJ Hoover (me) (The Emerald Tablet, October 2008)
Stacy Nyikos (Dragon Wishes, October 2008)
Barrie Summy (I So Don't Do Mysteries, December 2008)
Zu Vincent (The Lucky Place, April 2008)
Courtney Sheinmel (My So-Called Family, October 2008)

And next Friday I'm off to San Antonio for NCTE where I'll be on a panel with Class of 2k8 authors
Jen Bradbury (Shift, May 2008)
Jody Feldman (The Gollywhopper Games, March 2008)
PJ Hoover (me) (The Emerald Tablet, October 2008)
Stacy Nyikos (Dragon Wishes, October 2008)
Brooke Taylor (Undone, July 2008)
Nancy Viau (Samantha Hansen Has Rocks In Her Head, September 2008)

Today? Finishing up speeches. CLA is pretty much done, but the NCTE speech needs a bit more attention. OK, a lot more. But I'm ready! I have an outline :)

See you at BookPeople tonight for the SCBWI Party!
6:30-9:00
Panels
Pirates
Personalized books (I needed another "P")
Be there!

28 comments:

Stacy Nyikos said...

Sell lots and lots of books!!! And have fun. As my great grandmother would say, "EAT!" I think that's somehow related to having fun. At any rate, it tastes good ;-)

beth said...

Congrats on the radio interview! Doesn't you voice always sound so different when it's on radio :)

What's the picture of? I guess the sky...???

TJ Brown said...

Disney! Fun! not sure what the painting is, but it's lovely!
Teri

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Stacy! And speaking of food, you need to let me know what to buy at the grocery for when you're here!
Food does taste good. Though I'm not much of a cook.

Thanks, Beth! I totally sound like a guy on the radio.
And not the sky! Good guess, though!

Yes, fun, Teri! I'm so excited! And I'll tell my son you like the painting!

Thanks for visiting!

Christine M said...

You are one busy lady! And I've been busy thinking who would like to get The Emerald Tablet for Christmas (I know, everyone would like it... hey - that might solve all my gift giving problems!)

And the painting is great.

Sarah Rettger said...

Tricia, as someone who's spent much of the last two weeks calling bookstores to find out how they're doing, can I just say that I love you?

Unrelated - you came up in child_lit yesterday! There's a discussion going about female authors who publish under their initials, started by someone who used you as an example.

Devon Ellignton said...

Radio is my absolute favorite. I just love it. I always have the best time.

I'm glad you had fun.

Books are my favorite gifts to both give and receive.

Lapillus said...

The picture looks like a coral reef to me! Love it!

I'm totally up for buying books for Christmas this year! And it's something that I actually love shopping for. In fact, I've decided to skip out on toys and just buy DVDs and books for my two-year-old for Christmas too. She'll love it.

PJ Hoover said...

Perfect idea, Chris! A round of Emerald Tablets. And yes on the busy front. Starting Thanksgiving week I can relax a bit!

I love you, too, Sarah! :) And I love buying and giving books. They just feel so nice and solid!
How cool my name (or initials) came up! It's odd. There was never any question that I'd use my initials rather than my name. I think it's related to this weird aversion I had to reading SFF by female authors growing up.

It was fun and I didn't even have to worry about what to wear or if my face looked too shiny, Devon! Love that!

Thanks for visiting, everyone!

PJ Hoover said...

Oooh, Coral reef, Casey! That's a nice one! I can't wait to tell my son. He was so excited when he showed it to me.
Your 2-year-old will love it! Especially Scooby Doo DVDs. Scooby is timeless.

Thanks for visiting!

Kelly H-Y said...

Yippee ... Disney!!!! How exciting! Your son's artwork is quite mesmerizing ... the first thought that popped into my head was that of an autumn leaf ... maybe in a puddle of water. That's probably not it ... but it's a cool picture ... definitely a keeper! :-)

PJ Hoover said...

Autumn leaf - close, Kelly! And totally a keeper. We're getting a glass cutting board made with the scanned in image!
Thanks for visiting!

Amy said...

v. cool on the radio.

v.v. cool on the revisions. I love when I have enough distance from a book to still like it, but also look at it objectively.

adrienne said...

I LOVE your son's artwork! I'm sure I can't guess, but it reminds me of falling leaves, or looking down on the top of a Christmas tree.
I haven't done my book shopping yet, but I think my son would like your book - it's on my list.

lynn said...

Wow, radio! As an introvert who's intimidated by the immediacy of a radio conversation, I'm impressed :)

The picture (which is fantastic--I love the colors) reminds me of something, but I can't put a finger on what. Don't keep us in suspense for too long!

PJ Hoover said...

Totally, Amy! It's like an epiphany! And it's perfect!

Oooh, a Christmas tree, Adrienne. Nice! But not quite! I'll post the answer tomorrow! And that would be wonderful if your son would like the book! It seems the best place to get it right now is Amazon, but they did drop the price :)

Radio was fun, Lynn. Now that in mind, I haven't heard the final result. Maybe I don't want to :)

Thanks for visiting!

Jim Danielson said...

I was thinking Christmas lights kind of tangled together (for the picture).

Let us know if we can hear the radio interview as a webcast.

Jim

PJ Hoover said...

Christmas lights tangled together is my favorite so far :) Thanks, Jim!
Hopefully I'll be able to hear the interview. I missed it live!

Emily said...

It was nice to finally meet you tonight! I always hear such good things about you from Madeline, and Emerald Tablet is in my "priority" to read pile. (Is it bad when your to read pile has sub-piles?)

keri mikulski :) said...

Have fun in California! Love the painting. :)

Carrie Harris said...

Yeah, it looks like tropical fish to me. In camo. :)

Congrats on booking the trip to Disney, and the radio thing, and... well, just congrats on everything!

My word verfication: combrat
Definition: Fighting with your annoying younger sibling

PJ Hoover said...

It was great meeting you, Emily! I love BookPeople and love coming out there. It's just such a great place with great people! Thanks for everything!

Thanks, Keri!

Interesting fish, Carrie! I like that! And thanks! Combrat is a good verification word. It could totally be used in a story!

C.R. Evers said...

Have fun at Disney! Lucky duck!

The painting makes me think of pine needs surrounded by HOlly Berries. I love it. It looks like it should be in an art Museum right a long with Monet!

Christy

PJ Hoover said...

Ooh, Monet! I like that, Christy!
Thanks! I'll pass it on to the little artist :)

GutsyWriter said...

I'm so happy you're booked all over the place. Did you book the events or your publicist? How are you coping with travel and family?

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Gutsywriter! I've been booking them myself or as they appear before me. No publicist yet.
As for family and travel, I'm trying to not be actually out of town too much, though this month I have two things. I guess I'm spacing them out and trying not to overdo it!

Thanks for visiting!

Angela said...

Have a great time in Disney and congrats on the radio interview!!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Angela! I think Disney is the definition of great time!