"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Thursday, November 06, 2008

Free Internet is a good thing

It lets me get my oil changed, blog, and work on revisions. And there are no distractions of laundry and cleaning, which, even if I'm not doing, are still distracting :)

Last night I finally started a (planned-to-be-quick) revision of The Navel of the World, the second book in the Forgotten Worlds Trilogy (you know, The Emerald Tablet is the first book).
And I love when I start reading and am actually pretty happy with things.
It's interesting... the last time I revised was about 6 months ago (on this book). The main thing I notice has improved in my writing is my use of actions instead of tags to show more about the actual character rather than just telling who is speaking. So this is the main thing I've changed so far.
Yes, part of this was probably the writing exercise I undertook of writing a novel with zero tags.

But in case anyone has missed this amazing blog somehow, I'd just love to point out The Emotion thesaurus thanks to Angela and Becca. This blog rocks. Check it out!

Want some quick fun? Head over to The Class of 2k8 blog today where I give three possible endings to The Emerald Tablet. You get to pick which one you think is the real ending. 
Yeah, this one was fun to write!

Hope everyone is having a great Thursday!

16 comments:

Amy said...

I LOVE the Emotion Thesaurus. Isn't it such a fantastic site?

C.R. Evers said...

Hip Hip Hooray for free internet! I"m using it at the library as I work on my NaNo project. Well. . . ummmm . . . errr. . . and check out other peoples blogs when I should be working on my NaNo project. I'm making good progress, so I'm allowed to do some blog hopping, right? :0)

Christy

PJ Hoover said...

It is great, Amy! unbelievable how helpful it really is!

Yes, blog hopping is good especially since you're making great progress, Christy! Have fun!

adrienne said...

I actually haven't checked out the Emotion Thesausus yet and I've been meaning to. Thanks for the tip.

PJ Hoover said...

It's wonderful, Adrienne! I love it!

Gottawrite Girl said...

The no-tag writing seems like it would be a great excersise... I keep thinking about something I read where one should write as if it were unfolding on stage... does that make sense?

Thanks for the post, PJ, and good-revisioning to you!

Angela said...

Thanks for the shout out, PJ. I'm glad to hear the ET helps others...I have to admit that just writing those entries each week has really made me think harder about how my characters can express emotions, so yay for all of us! And yes, Yay for free internet!!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Susan! The no-tag thing was amazing! And I love that about unfolding on stage. It's perfect!

You are so welcome, Angela! The ET (which has the same initials as Emerald Tablet, BTW) rocks!

Carrie Harris said...

I hate tags. Hate them with the fire of a thousand suns. Glad I'm not the only one with a thing about tags.

Good luck with those revisions!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Carrie! I'm trying to find that right mix between using them and not!

TJ Brown said...

I love rereading and brushing up older works. it always shows you how far you've come as a writer.
Teri

Tabitha said...

The Emotion Thesaurus is freakin' amazing, isn't it? :)

So, guess what I got in the mail yesterday? My own copy of The Emerald Tablet!! Woohoo!! :) I'm in the middle of Cross My Heart and Hope To Spy, but as soon as I'm done, you know what I'm reading next! :)

Anonymous said...

Tricia(akaPJ)

I know it is not the kind of material most of you read, but the best character development I have seen is by Larry McMurtry in Lonesome Dove. All of his characters are woven into the narrative with cinematic quality. It was done skillfully enough to get a Pulitzer.

Dad

PJ Hoover said...

Totally agree, Teri! It's great!

Ah, thanks, Tabitha! I'm so glad you got it! I was wondering if the Amazon orders would ever ship!

Dad, I'm going to have to read Lonesome Dove. Since you've read it fifty times, it shouldn't need more of a recommendation! I'll add it to the list. And thanks for the comment. Love you! -PJ

Lapillus said...

I'm definitely going to have to try the no-tag exercise. I think I'm an over-tagger. : P

Also, I love the Emotion and Setting Thesaurus. In fact, I just made a post awarding them and you with an "I Love Your Blog" award. Check it out if you'd like!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks for the award, Casey! And yes, try the "no tag" exercise! It's amazing. And you can always add them in where you need to clarify!