"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Monday, November 10, 2008

In a whirlwind

It's been a kid-activity packed weekend: cub Scouts, school carnival, birthday party, Renaissance Festival.
Highlights from the carnival include pace and hair painting and a collection of five pieces of gold on the walk there. (We collect the road reflectors when they come off. These look a bunch like bars of gold and make for fun playtime in the backyard burying them and digging them up).
Highlights from the Renaissance Festival include sausage on a stick and Guinness beer (though drinking it while pushing the stroller and holding the sausage on the stick can be a challenge).

Highlights from Cub Scouts was a trip to the Cedar Park Waste Water Treatment Plant! I've been itching to visit a sewage treatment plant, and was not disappointed! What happens after the flush is truly fascinating!


Aside from my faithful Yorkie, I have another companion who stays with me every night when I write. At first I noticed him once or twice. Now I look for him every night, and he's almost always there.
(The reflection is a bit bad, but somehow he climbs up to the second story front window to hang right by my office).


A piece of good news:
The Emerald Tablet received one of my favorite reviews so far from The Story Siren. Why? Check out the first line from her review:
"What a fantastic debut novel! I really can’t wait to read the rest of this series."
Thanks, Story Siren!

Another piece of good news:
Last I checked, The Emerald Tablet was in stock on Amazon!

For those interested in the more paranormal side of all things Emerald Tablet, check out this awesome link sent to me by someone in Australia on a crop circle formation in the shape of a seven-point star associated with The Emerald Tablet.

I finished Skin Hunger by Kathleen Duey this morning (via audiobook on the way back from the post office). It's a great read and certainly leaves things wide open for the series. Which is actually really interesting. Nothing is resolved. It ends more like a part of a larger book. But I'd totally recommend it to anyone interested.
And I've started City of Bones by Cassandra Clare. So far, it's great. Also on audio I'm about to start The Magician: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott.

Post Halloween fun! I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving already. This year I'm making pies with the kids. Rhubarb, Apple, and Blueberry. Though we have a Honey-baked Ham gift certificate which we may use for the main course.


Reminder for those in Austin: SCBWI is having a holiday party at BookPeople this Thursday night, 6:30-9. Aside from me on a middle grade panel, there's other amazing panels, a picture book reading, and tons of book signing / networking opportunities! Please come by! It'll be a ton a fun. Check out full details here.

Also up for the weekend ahead, though I'll be at CLA this weekend: Austin Shaolin-Do Kung Fu Open House. If you've ever thought about joining Kung Fu or just are curious, come come this weekend and check it out!
Details here.

Hope everyone has a fantastic week ahead!

23 comments:

Christine M said...

Sounds like a fun weekend! And YAY on the great reviews!

Kimberly Derting said...

Awesome review, PJ! And you made my mouth water with all the pie talk! :)

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Chris! It was a fun though very busy weekend!

My mouth was watering when I was thinking about it, Kim! And thanks on the review!

C.R. Evers said...

I think a recurrent visiting lizard means good luck. :0)

Christy

Tabitha said...

Love the lizard! Aren't they just too cool? :) And congrats on the good reviews! :)

PJ Hoover said...

Oh, I like that, Christy! It works for me!

Thanks, Tabitha! And the little lizard is awesome! you can almost see through him he's so pale.

beth said...

Let me know what you think of The Magician. I started it and....meh. For me, it totally fizzled out.

Of course, I'd been doing a lot of research on the topic, so it might have made some of it more predictable than it would for others.

Carrie Harris said...

A Kung Fu open house sounds like TOO much fun! Hope you enjoy it!

PJ Hoover said...

Interesting, Beth. Did you read The Alchemist first? Isn't it first in the series? And did you like it?

Thanks, Carrie! I'll be in California, so I'll miss it, but the rest of my family should be there!

Thanks for visiting!

Beth Kephart said...

What an adorable nighttime creature.

Have you considered inviting him in?

So cool your book is finally in stock. I will check for it now at the local B&N.

PJ Hoover said...

We talked about inviting him in just tonight, Beth! He could share a home with the torts!

Jim Danielson said...

Like Tabitha, I really like your new writing companion -- quiet, leaves you alone and yet you know she's there. Not sure how a lizard would do during a Chicago winter though.

Jim D

PJ Hoover said...

Not sure how I'd do in a Chicago winter, Jim, and I've already survived one once!

keri mikulski :) said...

Sounds like a great weekend. And congrats on another amazing review. :)

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Keri! I hope your weekend was a blast, too!

adrienne said...

That's a lot to pack into one weekend! I haven't been to a Renaissance fair for years - sounds like fun.
Of course I have to check out that crop circle...

Patty P said...

Guess what I'm reading now? The Emerald Tablet! I was planning on waiting until my official book arrived but couldn't wait. So far, I'm loving and thinking about all the kids who would too.
Another one of your posts mentioned you've started adding actions to substitute for tags...funny. That's exactly what I've been working hard on as well.

Jason said...

Mmmmm! Rhubarb. I haven't had that in forever!

What a cool little visitor, I have to say, I'm jealous.

Vivian said...

See. I told you. Austin has all the cool writerly activities going on.

Will we see your new companion in a manuscript one day?

PJ Hoover said...

The crop circle is way cool, Adrienne! And I'll totally go back to a Ren Fair! So neat!

Whoo Hoo, Patty! Yes, tags. The Emerald Tablet is flush with them :) But I'm so glad you're reading it!

It's a cool visitor, Jason! And Rhubard popped into my mind and wouldn't leave once I thought of it!

Yes, Vivian, great idea! I will make room in a manuscript for him someday. It may not be my window he's hanging on, but there's always room for a lizard. Thanks for the idea!

Hope everyone is having a great week!

Amy said...

What a cute little nightly visitor!

Barrie said...

Love the lizard! And I linked to you on my NOW-WORKING blog. :)

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Amy and Barrie! And Barrie, you give me way more credit than I deserve. You solved it yourself!!!!!