"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Monday, November 24, 2008

Irony and Book stuff

It's like irony in its best form. I just finished up remodeling the upstairs guest bathroom. New cabinet, faucet, shower tiled, new fixtures everywhere. And it's in perfect working order.
And then...
I'm standing downstairs in the dining room with my husband when I look up to the ceiling.
"Does that look like a leak to you?" I ask.
He looks up. "Yeah. I noticed that."
OK, now we've got a leak. I take off the cabinet, saw a piece of the wall off, but the pipes are dry. The shower looks good. So I measure and determine it's the toilet leaking into the floor.
Nice.
So now the whole bathroom is disassembled. The toilet is in the bathtub. The wall has a hole in it. But the ceiling below is drying confirming it is indeed our 15-year-old low flow toilet causing the problem. Guess I should have replaced that wax seal on a more regular basis.
Sigh.

Anyway, on to the writing world.

First off, NCTE! What a great fun conference. Aside from our amazing panel, it was one of those free ARC kind of conferences, and seeing as how I drove down to San Antonio from Austin, I could carry an unlimited number of books back with me.
Here's the gang waiting for our talk. From left to right:
Jen Bradbury, Jody Feldman, PJ Hoover (me), Nancy Viau, Brooke Taylor, and Stacy Nyikos



After filling two bags with free books, Stacy Nyikos and I hightailed it back to Austin to celebrate Emily Gravett's visit to the US at a house party hosted by S&S rep Gillian Redfearn. Tons of fun. The kids loved the reading of Monkey and Me and I managed to get my Christmas shopping done for at least one person on the list.


Saturday was a super fun signing at Sunset Valley Barnes & Noble.


I saw a few people I haven't seen in years, all of whom bought The Emerald Tablet! Thank you, Jo Virgil and Barnes & Noble! It was a blast.


Hope everyone has a great week ahead!

26 comments:

C.R. Evers said...

ohhhhhh noooooooo! Sorry to hear about your bathroom leak problems! What a pain! ((((Hugs))))

Christy

Gottawrite Girl said...

Great photos. So fun, that you and Stacy could do that together, too!

beth said...

What a professional looking book signing! Hope you had fun and wish I could be there!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Christy! Ah, the joys of a home. There is always something to keep you feeling needed!

Thanks, Susan! It was great fun hanging out with Stacy this past week.

I wish you could have been here, too, Beth! Now that would have been a blast! The CRM at B&N does a fantastic job!

Thanks for visiting!

Mitch Wallace said...

Hey P.J.! Are you planning on having any book signings in San Diego?

Vivian said...

I am so impressed you remodeled and disassembled your bathroom. You totally rock!

Glad you had fun at the conference. Have fun reading the new galleys!

Kimberly Derting said...

Geez, PJ, you are EVERYWHERE!!!

And, ugh, what a pain to go through the leak thing...hopefully no one tries to use the toilet while it's still unattached!!

PJ Hoover said...

I'd love to, Mitch, but nothing planned as of yet! Maybe after book 2 comes out???

It's not that I rock, Vivian It's that I'm cheap when it comes to things I think I can do myself. So I'm thinking I saved us probably at least $300.

Yes, it's a hole in the ground, Kimberly. I'm reminded of the time we visited Japan and the toilets literally were holes in the ground. Very different than the US!

Thanks for visiting!

Tabitha said...

Oh no!!! Hope you get that water leak problem resolved quickly...yuck. :(

On a brighter note, great pictures!! Looks like you had lots of fun! If you make it to the Chicago area, let me know ahead of time so I can make sure I'm there. :)

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Tabitha! I'd love to come to Chicago. If/when I make it there, I'll be sure to let you know!

Jim Danielson said...

Chicago!

I second Tabitha's vote for an Austin to Chicago roadtrip.

Good luck with the wax ring.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Jim! See I'm still an engineer after all :)

keri mikulski :) said...

Looks like a ton of fun. :) Have a great holiday! :)

Carrie Harris said...

My condolences on your toilet.

Sorry, but that sentence made me laugh. And once again, I'm in envy of your book related events there.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Keri and Carrie! And no worries on the toilet! At least that's all it is. It would be way worse if something were leaking inside the wall.

See ya!

adrienne said...

Gee - I'm dealing with leaky plumbing here, too - but no nice new fixtures to go with 'em...

All that and some Christmas shopping, too - I'm impressed!

Patty P said...

Yikes on the plumbing issue. I think I'd cry for sure.
So fun seeing your pictures of you signing books! Yeah for you!

Kelly H-Y said...

Oh my goodness ... the bathroom story ... isn't that always the way?! You sound like quite the Ms. Fix-It! Love all the pictures! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving ... hopefully, it is free of plumbing issues!

TJ Brown said...

OMG PJ, you are so busy!

And I totally hear you on the bathroom...mine is completely torn up.
Teri

PJ Hoover said...

You need new fixtures, Adrienne! And I hope your plumbing issues dry right up!

Thanks, Patty! No tears luckily. Now once I install the toilet if it doesn't work, well, then maybe.

Yes, Kelly! No Thanksgiving plumbing issues! Maybe they all be cleared up by then!

So glad I'm not the only one with the torn up bathroom, Teri! I wonder why we do that to ourselves???

Thanks for visiting, everyone!

Beth Kephart said...

I am learning to live with a few dark spots, a few weak corners, a few whatevers. It is okay, I tell myself.

But I'd have a hard time disassembling a brand new bathroom. Sorry to hear that!

SO glad you had such a wonderful time at the conference. Sounds perfect!

PJ Hoover said...

And I'm so glad you listened to the fates and didn't make the conference. If you get enough signs to not do something, it's good to listen. At least in this case!
And it was sad to disassemble the bathroom. I admit it!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Laura said...

Awwww! That sounds like something that would happen to us. And has:) Well, irony is the stuff of great stories. So I'm sure you used the experience to hone your craft, making notes on your emotions. Isn't it great that as writers our bad days and/or major setbacks are all material...;) Hope you had a great Thanksgiving! And, I hope you plugged up the leak.

Marcia said...

Oh my gosh, we have the same bathroom problem! But we DID replace the wax seal! And the toilet is NEW. And the flooring is NEW. AGGHHHH!!!

But the signing sounds great.

Caryn Caldwell said...

Oh, no! Sorry about your leaky toilet -- and the timing really stinks.

I went to NCTE years ago, when I was still teaching English, and it was a blast. Glad to hear you had a good time.

PJ Hoover said...

Yes, Laura! Irony is good for stories! If only I could write it seamlessly!

Yikes, Marcia! Not good news. I think this toilet has been suspicious for a while now. I see that in hindsight.

NCTE was amazing, Caryn. I had no idea how huge it was. They had something like 50 workshops going on at a time!

Thanks for visiting!