"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Taking a Breath

It's nice that this week is the first week I feel like I finally have my arms around everything I need to do! I've even started a paltry attempt at cleaning the house again. Roomba has scrubbed the floor more times this week than in the last month. And I have a donations place scheduled to come out tomorrow to pick stuff up.

Good news from the Amazon front - some of the earliest orders of The Emerald Tablet have shipped! This is such good news to me you can't imagine. So even though it still says "Temporarily out of stock", I actually believe it will be in stock soon. And more orders will be shipping soon. If you've ordered it from Amazon and gotten the "shipped" email, I'd love to know!

Did I mention what a great holiday present The Emerald Tablet would make for that 8-14 year-old in your life?

I picked up The 39 Clues: Maze of Bones by Rick Riordan at the bookfair last week and finished it a couple days ago. My son agreed to let me read it first, but I think he's looking forward to adding it to his collection. And I have to admit it's a pretty-looking book. And totally compelling...I definitely recommend it for anyone who reads MG.

Around the web as of late...

I have a nice interview over on Lori Calabrese's blog, so if you get a second, check it out!

And my guest post over on The Class of 2k8 blog today reviews my release party, so if you didn't get a chance to read about it here, check it out over there!

If you live in Austin, please come to the Austin SCBWI party next Thursday from 6:30-9:30 at BookPeople. The official invitation is posted below. I'll be there signing books, and I also get to participate on a MG/YA panel with awesome authors Lila Guzman, Shana Burg, & Helen Hemphill.

I'm officially starting on revisions for The Navel of the World, the second book in the Forgotten Worlds Trilogy (The Emerald Tablet being the first). Yes, I had every intention of starting revisions on it last night, but, well, you know...the election is pretty fun to watch, and my son was totally excited to stay up late with us checking it out.

Hope everyone is having a great week!

-----

You Are Invited To

A Celebration of Books for Children and Young Adults
Austin Style!

Thursday, November 13, 2008
At BookPeople – 6th & Lamar
6:30 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.

Readings * Panel Discussions * Door Prizes * Refreshments * Book Signing

Presented by

The Austin Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators
Your number one resource for published authors and illustrators of youth literature
&
BookPeople
"2005 Publishers Weekly Bookseller of the Year"

6:30 Social Time – Second Floor
Visit and enjoy refreshments

7:00 A Holiday Reading - Amphitheater
Join us in the amphitheater as author Philip Yates (in full pirate costume) reads from his latest book, A Pirates Night Before Christmas (Sterling, 2008)

7:15 Picture Book Panel Discussion – Amphitheater
Featuring: Greg Leitich Smith, Philip Yates, Don Tate, & Emma Virgan
Moderated by Brian Anderson

Middle Grade/Young Adult Panel Discussion – Second Floor by the Stairs
Featuring: Lila Guzman, Shana Burg, P.J. Hoover, Helen Hemphill
Moderated by Tim Crow

8:15 Young Adult Panel – Third Floor
Featuring: Jennifer Ziegler, Cynthia Leitich Smith, April Lurie, Brian Yansky, &
Varian Johnson. Moderated by Julie Lake

Authors and Illustrators Scheduled to Appear

Book Signing opportunities will occur during the social time and after each panel

Cynthia Leitich Smith
Lila Guzman
Jane Ann Peddicord
Mark Mitchell
Greg Leitich Smith
April Lurie
Shana Burg
Frances Hill
P.J. “Tricia” Hoover
Helen Hemphill
Phyllis Peacock
Jennifer Ziegler
Christy Stallop
Julie Lake
Brian Yansky
Jessica Anderson
Varian Johnson
Philip Yates
Emma Vrigan
Brian Anderson
Anne Bustard
Don Tate
Jerry Wermund

For more information about the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators, visit our website at www.austinscbwi.com or www.scbwi.org or contact Tim Crow, Regional Advisor, at timcrowscbwira@msn.com,

12 comments:

Angela said...

You have a Roomba? I am *SO* jealous.

Congrats on being on top of everything. So much stuff has been going on for you, it must feel nice to have a handle on things.

Kimberly Derting said...

You're like Superwoman or something! Every time I read your post, you have something new (and exciting) going on...AND your floors are clean! Jeez, when do you sleep, PJ?

Lapillus said...

How is that Roomba treating you? I think I could use one!

My fiance happens to have a nephew and a niece who happen to be nine and twelve. I might just have to pick them up a copy (or two!) of The Emerald Tablet for Christmas!

Hope the sales are going good Pj!

PJ Hoover said...

I love the Roomba, Angela! It really is totally worth it. It gets under sofas and beds and everything!
And thanks!

Not quite superman, Kimberly! You should have seen me a couple weeks ago freaking out.
And I need to point out - the floors are vacuumed, but as they are tile and really need mopping, I wouldn't quite call them "clean". :)

You could use a Roomba, Casey! To vacuum while you're doing NaNo! Good idea on the Christmas present! They do seem like the perfect age!
Thanks!!!!

Thanks for visiting, everyone.

Amy said...

I've added 39 to my list...I'm really enjoying Percy Jackson sereis, so I'm sure I'll like his new one.

You're cleaning? Come to my house!

Gottawrite Girl said...

I'm moving to Austin.

Mitch Wallace said...

The 39 Clues seems pretty cool. I might check it out...

PJ Hoover said...

Do you have wine, Amy? If so, I'll be there, Roomba in hand :)

You should move here, Susan! I'm a DC transplant and love the warmer weather. Though there are a significant number of bugs here.

Yes, check it out, Mitch! I'm a huge RR fan and was actually a bit worried I wouldn't like 39 Clues since it was so different.

Happy Wednesday!

keri mikulski :) said...

Great stuff. :) Which I could go to the Austin event. But, I'm leaving Texas on Sunday. Enjoy!

devon ellington said...

Congrats on the revisions! Way to go!

LCalabrese said...

I need a Roomba! It reminds me of the Simpsons episode though where Bart programs a batch of Roombas to take over the room- pretty funny!

I'm so glad you stopped by my blog and just wanted to say thanks again.

I'm glad to hear things are going great for you- you deserve all the success! :)

All the best,
Lori

PJ Hoover said...

I wish you could, too, Keri! Hope you have fun in Houston!

Thanks, Devon! They're going well!

Yes, Lori, you definitely need a Roomba! It's nice to have someone working for you!
Thank you for everything!