"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Facebook for Middle Agers

Last night the husband and I talked about the phenomenon which is Facebook. He's recently joined, and faster than lightning, has found many of his old high school friends (and acquaintances).
We talked about how it's perfect for us middle-age, 20-years out of high school people. It's a cool way to catch up with our past without reliving it :)

In my Facebook friends, I have my 8th grade best friend. It's been ages since I've talked with her, but seeing as how she has a son in the perfect target range of The Emerald Tablet, she bought my book (Thanks, SMC!).

I laughed out loud when she wrote on my wall:
"Did you intentionally name the science teacher after our geometry teacher? That would explain a lot if Mr. Burton was not human."

The joy of connecting with people from long ago is they will pick up on things like this! Nobody since high school would have had a clue of making this association in The Emerald Tablet - not even the husband.
And I love this!

So in addition to spending time on Facebook updating my status, I've pretty much finished revisions on The Navel of the World (Forgotten Worlds Book 2). I sent it to a trusted critique partner to read through, the benefit of which is comments like:
  • Page 50 - Maybe you need to explain the Alliance bond the first time you mention it.
  • Page 220 - This is the first time you've mentioned their telekinesis teacher by name.
  • And so many others.
Keep in mind a couple things.
  • This is the second book in a series.
  • It's gone from 100,000 words to just around 66,000. I've cut tons, added tons, reduces backstory to a thumbprint which is all good. But I need to add a couple clarifying connections here and there to tie things up.


Reading update:
I started City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (finally). I've read a couple manuscripts of others recently and slacked on my other reading. So far so good. It seems to be leading me on a path I'm happy to follow.

Holiday shopping suggestion for those with kids in the house...
(You thought I was going to say The Emerald Tablet but amazingly I'm not. Not to say it wouldn't be a great gift. Anyway...)

Check out Barbarian Battles.
Their foam swords and stuff are awesome. We got some at the Renaissance Festival, and I'm ordering the mace and hammer for Christmas gifts for my kids.
And the best part - They're made in the US!

26 comments:

Christine M said...

I'm so glad the comments were helpful - and I can't wait for the new one to come out in print (now that I have my copies of The Emerald Tablet.)

Oh, and I told Harry that the second book was excellent. He said (as only an eight-year-old can) "It can't be good - I haven't read it" :)

Angela said...

I love facebook. I recently found a good friend of mind who dissapeared off the face of the planet after High School. I tried to find what he was up to at my ten year reunion, but no one knew where he ended up. Now, thanks to FB, I finally know!

Miriam S.Forster said...

I know what you mean, PJ. I got a facebook page recently and have connected with all kinds of people from high school and college that I haven't talked to for years and years.

I don't know about you, but just being able to see how these people are and make silly comments on their page is comforting. It feels like I haven't lost so much by settling down and growing up.

BTW, do you have a Facebook Writer Page?

Sheri said...

Guess what I got last night in the mail??? Yes! You guessed it! An autographed copy of THE EMERALD TABLET! How cool is that?! Thank you, PJ. I was so thrilled to receive it. I've been home sick and it really cheered me up.

If I can just share - what an awesome first line is this for a story... (I hope you don't mind PJ) When Benjamin Holt saw his mom disappear into a pinprick of light, he shouldn't have been surprised; his life was already weird.

What a great first line. We know so much already! I had to read it aloud to my husband, then each of my daughters, and brag about the autograph!

I can't wait to finish Eclipse so I can read something REALLY good!

PJ Hoover said...

The comments were great, Chris! Thank you! And does that mean Harry will look forward to reading it?

Facebook is amazing, Angela. It's like a virus.
Wait - maybe it is a virus!

Exactly, Miriam! It does make me have fun and still be a responsible adult!
I don't have a Facebook Writer page. But now that you mention it, maybe I'll have to look into it :)

Aw, you're so sweet, Sheri! I'm thrilled you won it! So are you saying it's better than Eclipse?????

Thanks for visiting!

Prince Balthazar said...

I have an account for Facebook but have never used it. LOL. Although I have found a few old friends on it from ages ago.

Also, P.J. I finally ordered Emerald tablet from Amazon! Should be arriving soon. Can't wait to dive in.

Beth Kephart said...

I entered Facebook with trepidation; I find I love the people I've met there. Hey. Wait a minute. PJ Hoover. I love her. Gotta go find her on Facebook.

Elise Murphy said...

Hi PJ. I wandered over here from Prince Balathazar's blog. He's one of my fabulous critique partners.

I have to admit I love Facebook! It's great fun to see pics of my friends kids and connect with old high school and college buddies.

Great blog . . .

Tabitha said...

Facebook? Okay, gotta go search for ya... :)

Patty P said...

Wow. You've been busy! Reading manuscripts, writing manuscripts, promoting your book and you still have time for Facebook!
I love it to. Great way to reconnect with old school friends. My 14 year old loves it too...a bit too much. He's a bit addicted.

Carrie Harris said...

Heh. I'm glad I'm not the only one who uses the names of my old teachers. I have one in each book. ;)

adrienne said...

I just read a post about Facebook yesterday, too...I wasn't that curious about it but now I have to check it out.
Those foam swords do look fun!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Prince B, for ordering! And you should get back onto Facebook! It's fun!

Oooh, are we friends, Beth? I'll have to check!

Hi Elise! Thanks for visiting! So Prince B has a great blog and is a great critiquer! Perfect!

Hey Tabitha! We're friends now! I saw your pretty face!

I have been busy, Patty, but it's good to be busy, right! Funny about your 14 year-old!

Old teachers are perfect fodder, Carrie! I wonder if they realize that!

The foam swords are awesome, Adrienne! Really well made, and the kids love them!

Thanks for visiting, everyone!

Marcia said...

I guess I thought MySpace was for people past high school and college, and Facebook was for the younger crowd. I must confess I don't have either and don't at this point want them. With a site, blog, Verla's, jacketflap, other people's blogs -- where does the time come from? But the idea that you can find just about anybody REALLY makes the world small.

Kelly H-Y said...

I have to admit ... at this point I've been resisting Facebook like crazy! Hmmmm ... may have to give in someday soon! :-)

PJ Hoover said...

It is such a small world, Marcia! Facebook really makes me realize that. But yeah, I get what you mean on the time thing.

Give in today, Kelly! It's fun!

C.R. Evers said...

I'm a facebook junkie! I can't believe how many people I've been connected with and reconnected with. And the games are fun too. ;0)

Gottawrite Girl said...

Love Facebook, just like everyone has said. There is NOTHING better than seeing a fourth-grade friend's face for the first time in twenty years. It's unbelievable! We never need to lose touch again! And, it's also a great way to meet other writers...

Thanks, PJ, and hope you are doing well over there! I've got a tiny, sleeping wrinkly puppy on my lap and am just about to pour some coffee...

Take care!!!!!

Devon Ellington said...

Always glad when comments are helpful.

I don't do Facebook because you can't use pseudonyms, so it's useless for me.

Thanks for the heads up about the broken links -- Payloadz gave me the wrong link or changed the link or something from the original upload, because it used to work.

Let's hope I haven't lost too many sales because of it.

Sigh.

keri mikulski :) said...

Love FACEBOOK. :) Except, I spend WAY too much writing time there. Have a great weekend. :)

PJ Hoover said...

Oooh, I've never tried the games, Christy! But now I'm thinking I shouldn't if they are that much fun.

Your puppy sounds darling, Susan! Hope he's really snuggly!

I feel your frustration, Devon.
And I never thought about the pseudonym thing and how that would be for social networking - especially if you have more than one!

Have a great weekend, too, Keri! And yes, Facebook can take up way too much time!

Sheri said...

Oh yeah! Without a doubt! Watch out Stephenie Meyer!

Amy said...

I have a facebook page for my writer persona, but will probably create one for my real life persona since my reunion is coming up next year and lots of my high school friends have facebook pages.

It's a total time-suck, though, so I don't get there very often.

Linked In is another good one for adults.

PJ Hoover said...

Funny, Sheri! Yes, watch out!

I had no idea you had a different writing persona, Amy. And I have heard lots of reunions are being planned through Facebook now. How cool is that!

Geri said...

I love facbook, but my friends won't join (don't know how, too busy, already belong to too many things, etc.), so I only have ten friends. It's a bummer because it's such an easy way to stay in touch with people. I tell them it's a great way to interact.

PJ Hoover said...

I know exactly what you mean, Geri! Facebook is like one of these things no one understands until they join. I sure didn't believe it!
Thanks for visiting!