"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Friday, December 12, 2008

Five on a Friday

So who else is looking forward to some relaxation over the holidays?

1) For your viewing pleasure, I give you my Christmas tree, complete with all my Star Trek ornaments. If you look closely, you can see the Borg cube, The Trouble With Tribbles, Deep Space Nine, The Wrath of Khan, The Guardian of Forever, a transporter room.


And speaking of the transporter room ornament, oddly enough, just as I took this photo and was emailing it to my computer, my 4-year-old daughter comes into the kitchen with kind of a horrified look on her face and says "something broke", puts something in my hand, and kind of starts to dash out of the room. I look down in my hand only to find Captain Kirk there with no feet. She'd broken him off (accidentally) leaving his feet back in the transporter room.
Thank you Super Glue.

2) It's December 12th. 12/12. I'm opting to go with New Year's cards this year.

3) Thank you, Kim and Enchanting Reviews for an awesome review for The Emerald Tablet. My favorite line:
"A must read for fans of fantasy, especially with a boy hero. This book will not disappoint."

4) Thank you to Emily at BookPeople for the shout out on the BookKids blog today!

5) Don't forget:

I'll be featured this Friday on Blog Talk Radio - Book Bites for Kids! The interview is noon central time, but will be available thereafter on the site.

If you live in the Austin area and have no other plans for Saturday, head up to Burnet, TX for the Christmas on the Square Festival. I'll be signing copies of The Emerald Tablet outside the library from 11-3. Bring the kids, and see you there!


I hope everyone has a great weekend! Snap a fun picture, relax a bit, and write!

18 comments:

Gottawrite Girl said...

Haha. Lucky for the Captain he can beam himself around. So, techinically, he might not NEED feet.

: )

Relax and write. Those are sage words for the weekend. Two very noble goals.

Have fun this weekend, and good luck on the book bites broadcast!

Miriam S.Forster said...

Heehee.... I wonder how many people in early transporter days actually did lose their feet? Or have their heads but on backwards, like in Spaceballs?

That's an episode I would want to see.

Have fun with the book broadcast!

Christine M said...

I love the tree! Very nice.

Have a great weekend.

lotusloq said...

Great tree! I recently found out how much my Star Trek NG Enterprise was worth and was totally floored. I'd never sell it, but still. Apparently a lot of people didn't get the first one and now they want it.

Good luck with the broadcast and the signing. Have a good weekend.

beth said...

New Year's Cards! Yes! And my not-living-nearby relatives might get new year's presents, too.... :)

Vivian said...

Poor Captain Kirk. Sounds like you handled it well.

You're going to have a fantastic weekend! Enjoy the book signing.

PJ Hoover said...

True, Susan. Relaxing is second on my list! How about you :)

The feet standing there on the transporter pad cracked me up, Miriam. Now that I think about it, I wish I'd gotten a picture!

Thanks, Chris! The tree makes me happy!

Funny, Lois! Yes, I never plan to sell which is why I wasn't too upset about the de-footed Captain Kirk!

Ditto on the New Year's presents, Beth! Come to think of it, I wouldn't be upset getting a gift on New Years!

Thanks, Vivian! Burnet's a great city! It should be a blast!

Thanks for visiting, everyone!
Happy Weekend!

C.R. Evers said...

ohhhh! What a fun Christmas tree! :0)

BTW, thanks for mentioning that my blog was listed in Cynsations. I wouldn't have known otherwise and it made my day! :0)

Caryn Caldwell said...

New Year's cards -- I love it! I really, really need to do ours, but it's not exactly my favorite task. Once again this year people will be lucky if they receive Christmas cards from us in time for the actual holiday.

PJ Hoover said...

You are welcome, Christy! And I Love my tree!

New year's cards are all the rage! Have you heard, Caryn?

Jim Danielson said...

Love the themes on the tree from Star Trek to Rudolph (with friends Herbie and Yukon Cornelious).

On the Star Trek subject, we saw a set of Star Trek Pez dispensers on Thursday and Mary (my wife) commented "if only we knew a Trekie..."

Devon Ellington said...

Great tree. I'm struggling to get my cards out, too, this year. Usually, I get the overseas ones out the weekend after Thanksgiving and everything else out by Dec. 10, but I'm really struggling this year.

GutsyWriter said...

I had to show my husband your tree. He loves it. I told him to decorate it that way next year.
Good luck with your book promotion. I don't know if you've already posted this, but I'd love to learn more about the promotion aspects of your book. For example did you hire a publicist etc. Just did a survey on my blog regarding the power of WOM (word of mouth.)

keri mikulski :) said...

Great tree. Hope you had a fabulous weekend. :)

PJ Hoover said...

Yes, Jim, I always loved the pink polka dot elephant from Rudolph!
So now you know a Trekkie! Do you need my address?

Thanks, Devon! I feel better now that I've given over to the New Year's cards :)

You should, Gutsy Writer! I love my Star Trek tree. It makes me happy whenever I see it!
And posting of marketing and publicity is a great idea! Yes, WOM is the biggest factor it seems.

Thanks, Keri! Hope you did, too!

Angela said...

Bah, it' takes more than broken feet to keep Kirk down...

Nice lookin' tree!

adrienne said...

I haven't done my Christmas cards yet, either...

Great tree! Yesterday my daughter said, "People imagine aliens are scary, but what if they were cute and fuzzy?" Of course I thought of tribbles.

PJ Hoover said...

Very true, Angela! Captain Kirk was THE captain.

Adrienne, your daughter may be a Trekkie in training!