"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Monday, December 08, 2008

Things to Make me Happy on a Monday

Seeing as how I was going to be at an all-day writing workshop (I'll post on that tomorrow - it was fab!) on Saturday, I kept my daughter home from preschool on Friday. We decided to head to IKEA, but missed the exit on the highway. So we took the next exit, and pulled into the outlet mall parking lot to turn around.
Does it surprise anyone we never made it out of that parking lot?
Five stores later, we busted a move out of there to make it to the grocery in time to still pick my son up from school.

The best thing we got: matching red and white checked VANS. I'd planned on getting black and white checked, but my 4-year-old daughter wanted the red AND she wanted us to match.


A second note on what makes me happy. The Tuesday before Thanksgiving, my son left two sweatshirts at school. The following Monday we found one, but the other was nowhere to be seen. It was his favorite - Pirates of the Caribbean hooded. (This kind of explains the outlets drawing me in from above as the first place we went was the Disney outlet to look for a replacement sweatshirt - no dice, BTW).
I was sad. He was sad. There were none on eBay. I'd pretty much given up (I know - never give up).
Friday when I picked him up from school, he held his sweatshirt high in the air. I almost cried I was so happy! Some fifth graders had found it and delivered it to his classroom!!!!!


Third happiness. One of the best things about Christmas for me is getting out my Star Trek ornament collection and putting them on the tree. Love the ornaments and so do my kids. But this year my son is totally into it, talking about the kinds of ships there are, comparing them, asking about captains.
So imagine my delight when exercising in the garage on the elliptical machine yesterday and I looked up at a bookshelf full of my books and found this awesome Star Trek book!
He got so excited and has been looking at it ever since. He even took it to school today for his DEAR (drop everything and read) time.


So what's made you happy recently?

27 comments:

Beth Kephart said...

My friend Cristina's baby shower! But you already knew that!

Can't wait for your post tomorrow.

Miriam S.Forster said...

Hearing that you're raising your son to be a Star Trek fan makes me happy. :-)

Also finding a new book to love, and being almost finished with this round of rewrites makes me incredibly happy.

PJ Hoover said...

I did read that, Beth! Just after I posted this!

It makes me so happy, too, Miriam. I can hear the groans being silently emitted from my husband though, who is not a Trekkie. But soon, he will be. Once both kids are converted. :)

Angela said...

Sounds like an awesome day! I love the red and white squares!

What's made me happy lately? The big snowfall we had yesterday finally has made me feel like Christmas is coming.

And on Friday's parent teacher interview for youngest, I found out that he wasn't goofing off in class as I thought, but was raved about by teacher as to how funny he is and how great it is to have him in the class.

And I made fudge balls today. Ummm. One less baking treat to get finished before holidays.

PJ Hoover said...

Yummy, Angela! Fudgeballs sounds delicious! Will they ship well? I can send you my address :)
Glad the parent/teacher interview went well, and yay for snow! Send it to Austin along with the fudgeballs!

Laura said...

Love the Vans:) So cute. And, I don't like to usually admit this to people, but I always get a little teary when I pull out our Captain Janeway ornament....but, you won't tell anyone, will you?

Gottawrite Girl said...

Well, love the Vans. Even my husband has a pair - argyle, if you can believe. Ikea makes me nervous, what with the WalMart madness. I'm gonna be online shopping, I think!!! : ) Hope you are well, PJ!

Brianna said...

The matching shoes on your blog made me happy. What fun! :)

lotusloq said...

I'm with your 4 yr old daughter on the shoes. Those red and white vans are slick!

PJ Hoover said...

Laura, Star Trek makes me teary every time I think about it. It all comes down to characters we care about, right?

Vans are awesome, Susan! Your husband has double good taste - shoes and gals :)
And thankfully IKEA and Walmart are nowhere near as bad during the week.

Thanks, Brianna! I smile every time I see them are her darling little feet!

Thanks, Lois! She has good taste and takes after her mom when it comes to awesome, casual footwear. Because it is all about comfort, right? Thanks for visiting!

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Patty P said...

Love the shoes...as for the Star Trek ornaments...never knew they existed. Please take a picture of your tree. I'd love to see them! Way cool.

PJ Hoover said...

I will take a picture, Patty! Tomorrow once the sun is out again!
And thanks!

Alison said...

Wow. With only boys, I can't imagine ever taking one of my children out to bond over outlet mall shopping! And especially for shoes... ;-) Though I do love the Vans. I have really been wanting some checked Vans for my toddler. The little tiny ones look so ridiculously cute. I've tried to convince my 7-year-old he'd like some shoes similar to that, but so far he's not convinced!

We are overdue to introduce our 10-year-old science geek son to Star Trek. He loves Star Wars and both our older sons watch some of the new Doctor Who with us, but for some reason the only Star Trek they've ever seen is the Star Trek IV movie with the whales... I thought the later series seemed a little talky and slow-moving for the kids (more human drama & less action), but now they're probably to the ages where they'd like it. (Though I do have suspicions my son could get addicted and end up buying a Starfleet uniform to wear in real life when he grows up...not that there's anything wrong with that! ;-) )

keri mikulski :) said...

Love all day workshops. :)

The holidays and a healthy family are making me happy right now. :)

Kimberly Derting said...

So are you stoked about the new Star Trek coming out? Are or you an old-school Trekkie? I kind of like them all...from the Kirk to Picard. I know, what a dork, right???

PJ Hoover said...

There is definitely nothing wrong with a starfleet uniform, Alison! One day I'll have Lt. Uhura's outfit. And it will look great on me :)

I'm glad you have things making you happy, Keri! Holidays are nice! And health is the most of all.

My favorite was TNG, Kim, but TOS is a close (very very close) second. I am stoked about the movie and really hoping they do a good job with it! Regardless of what I hear, I'll be there on opening day! No Spock ears, though.

adrienne said...

Those matching shoes are adorable!

Sometimes my daughter will text me at lunchtime to tell me she's happy - that always makes me happy!

Tabitha said...

I didn't know you were a Star Trek fan! But, I guess should have assumed...seeing as you're an engineer. :) Are you going to see the new movie?

And the shoes are adorable. :)

What makes me happy? Baking beautiful cakes with my son. Which I got to do last friday. And, yes, he helps. :)

PJ Hoover said...

That would be a good reason to smile, Adrienne! I love that she takes the time to let you know she's happy!

Totally yes on the new movie, Tabitha! I was always surprised when I met engineers who were not Star Trek fans. I thought it was in the blood :)
Make me a cake anytime!

TJ Brown said...

I want vans...only I would go with the black. match my clothes more.

What has made me happy lately... my WIP:)
Teri

PJ Hoover said...

You know what, Teri - the red and white goes with way more than I thought it would. Black. Brown. Gray. Red. Even earthy green.
All those neutral tones.
Yay on your WIP!

Kelly H-Y said...

Love the red-white checkered Vans! Ya gotta go with it when your daughter wants to match!

PJ Hoover said...

Totally, Kelly! There was absolutely no saying no to that!

beth said...

I LOVE the matching shoes!!! So cute!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Beth! Best purchase of the year!

Amy said...

My niece is coming for a visit on Saturday!!!!! I can't wait.

Oh, yeah, I get to see her mom and dad, too (my sister and bro-in-law) and my mom, but really? It's all about 0.

PJ Hoover said...

Have a great time with your niece, and of course the rest of the family, Amy!