"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Dewey, Books, Shout-outs

On Dewey, I give you a visual reminder of just how the Dewey Decimal system is organized. My librarian even made up a song which she sang for me.

Today in the library the second biggest topic for the second graders was money (like books on the topic). The first?

My book :)

That's right. The Emerald Tablet.
My son's teacher started reading it aloud to the class, so the whole time during library the kids were talking about it. Where it was on the shelf? If it was checked out?
So then I snuck out of the library a couple minutes early to head down to the classroom to be the mystery reader. How fun is that! The kids even laughed at the funny parts (which I find encouraging because this means they are, in fact, funny).
Cute things were one girl asking me if I'd ever seen anyone levitate and two other kids play-fighting saying, "I'm going to levitate you."

My writing update:
Entrenched in revisions. But they're going well. And I'm tossing around a new story idea in my head which is always fun.

My realization:
Cub Scouts can get you a tour anywhere. We've been to the Wastewater treatment plant, the TV studio, and next week we're off to the recycling facility. I'm going to have to start figuring out where I need to tour (for book research) and then arrange a Cub Scouts outing to go there.

My reading udpate:
Finished reading Theodosia and the Staff of Osiris by R. L. LaFevers.
Finished reading (aloud to the kids - this is not in the 50 books since it's a re-read for me) James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl.

Starting Gods of Manhattan by Scott Mebus.
Starting reading (aloud) From The Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg (yes, this is the winner - The Hobbit will be next).

---

A few notes for others:

First, if you're going to be in town (that is Austin) on Saturday, head to the Arboretum Barnes & Noble to hear Emma Virjan read her awesome book Nacho the Party Puppy.
Emma says,
"We’ll be playing My Name is Nacho, written and recorded by Austin’s own Ray Benson. (Nacho asked Ray to write a song and he did!) You can go to Nacho’s site to hear it. And if you’d like, sign up for Nacho’s Birthday Club while you’re at it. Heck, buy a t-shirt if you want."

----

Next up, if you've always dreamed of being a black belt, now is your big chance to take the leap and get started! What better New Year's Resolution than to sign up for martial arts. And it just so happens the Kung Fu school I attend is having an open house this Saturday.

New Location, New Year
Grand Opening OPEN HOUSE
Saturday Jan. 17th
3-4:30 for adults
4:30-5:00 for kids

Demonstrations, intro sessions, food, and special offers, all in our new school THIS Saturday!

Click here for details! So go, OK?

-----

Finally, if you don't already know, here's your opportunity to support the Texas Library Association Disaster Relief Fund (think Galveston and other Gulf Coast libraries) by purchasing a $5 raffle ticket to win Don's portrait of Ellington. To learn more, check out these interviews with Don and TLA librarian Jeanette Larson.

Click here for details!

----

Hope you're all having a great week!

25 comments:

Keri Mikulski said...

Love the library talk with the kids - great stuff!

My daughter takes Karate and loves it. :)

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks Keri! And so cool on your daughter and Karate. It's a great thing to do!

beth said...

How cute about the library! And I bet it was a great trip for the kids to see you in the classroom!!

PJ Hoover said...

it was a blast, Beth!

Thanks for visiting!

Kelly H-Y said...

Your comment about finding tour places where you can also do book research made me smile! Ever so resourceful! :-)

PJ Hoover said...

Yep, Kelly, Cub Scouts are so cute, it's hard for places to say no to them :)

Miriam S.Forster said...

I wish your book was in MY library, I shall have to request it. Or better yet buy it when I get out of the just-after-Christmas slump. :-)

Gottawrite Girl said...

PJ, what a good tip about the Cub Scouts... I feel like this is a little-known treasure of a fact! And, good news about the laughing youngsters (and the teacher reading ET out loud, for sure!)

PJ Hoover said...

I would love if you requested it, Miriam! And I hope you get over the post-holiday slump!

Susan, I never before realized the benefits of being the mom of a Cub Scout!

Thanks for visiting!

beckylevine said...

What a fun day you had. Are your kids in the class--how great for them!

PJ Hoover said...

My son is in the class, Becky. I think he was really, really happy! Which made me really, really happy :)

Beth Kephart said...

Sounds like a perfect scenario, PJ. I'm glad that you have so many chances to be out there with your book, watching children enjoy it.

PJ Hoover said...

That is the best part, isn't it, Beth!

Have a great day!

Feywriter said...

That's so cool that they are reading your book in class, and even cooler that you read for them!

carmenoliver said...

We're on the same page about the TLA disaster relief fund!! I sent it on to the President of the Hill Country Book Fair, too. The more people who know about it, the more likely we can re-fill and re-build the library. At least, people will have a place to go while they're rebuilding their lives and escape for awhile to another world at their library.

P.S. I'd love to get my son in Karate, too. This Saturday, we're swamped. Thanks for the great info...as usual!!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Mary! I was really flattered!

Carmen that would be fantastic if your son could start Kung Fu. It's such a great thing. Hey, you could start also :)

Solvang Sherrie said...

How cool to be able to see the kids reactions to your book. Awesome!

kbaccellia said...

Very cool about your son's teacher reading your book.

Did you know I'm an assistant den mother to Webelos? Working with ten-year-old boys has been very interesting!

PJ Hoover said...

I loved it, Sherrie! Kids are awesome!

LOL, Kim. I didn't know. Raising a son, I truly realize boys are from Mars. They are a different breed.

Marcia said...

Isn't it great to have a kids' group like Cub Scouts as a front for your research? When I had to research a rock quarry, I went with my husband (who is totally embarrassment-proof)and the guys looked at us kind of strange.

PJ Hoover said...

Yes, Marcia! I've found Cub Scouts (and kids in general) can remove all embarrassment from just about any situation.

Devon Ellington said...

How cool is that? Great stuff.

I'm glad your revisions are going well.

Vodka Mom said...

great post. Sometimes my son's teacher will read my monthly column to his class. (Funny kindergarten stories...) He loves it....makes him feel special.

adrienne said...

Clever of you to use those Cub Scouts like that! :)

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Devon! Life is good :)

The teacher is so supportive which is great, Vodka Mom. Thanks so much for visiting my blog!

True, Adrienne. They aren't that cute forever. Or are they?

Happy weekend!