"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Sunday, January 04, 2009

Goodbye to 2k8 and I need a Word!

Everyone seems to have a word for the new year.
I LOVE this idea! And I need a word of my own.
Suggestions?

Kids are going back to school on Monday. I'm kicking in to some serious revision time. And let me just say for the record, I'm blogging at night so once I get home from Kung Fu in the AM, I can get right to work.
I may take a small break to paint a kitchen wall red...no wait, scratch that. I'll paint the wall after I pick my kids up from school.
Which will give me from about 9:00 AM until 2:30 PM to work on WIP.
Which equals Bliss. Pure and Simple.

I for one am psyched for the reading challenge. Fifty books in 2009. Thanks to everyone who's doing it also or has mentioned it on their blog! The more who read, the merrier!
Last night I stayed up late finishing off The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman, and tonight I should finish Rapunzel's Revenge by Shannon and Dean Hale. I realize this second one is a bit short, but with War and Peace on the list, I don't feel too terribly bad. Next up...I'll have to check my bookshelf and see what screams at me. If you're dying to know, I'll update Goodreads "currently reading" once I decide.

And minor spoiler alert on The Graveyard Book...
I really did like the book, but didn't quite "get" what the Jacks of all Trades did that was so horrible they had to be destroyed except to kill the prophesied boy, and if they always killed off the family of the prophesied boy, then how did the family ever survive and how did they know which family it even was in the first place. Did I miss something here?
But I LOVED the whole graveyard and old graves!

So it's been a great year. And one of the best things this past year was being a member of The Class of 2k8. If you're looking for some books to put on your list or to give as presents, please check out our website. (Being the webmaster,) I've moved it to a semi-static state where it will hopefully remain for the duration of 2009.
All year I bought the 27 books, looking forward to each one in turn. And as an honor to the group which helped me and The Emerald Tablet so much throughout the year, I give you a picture of my Class of 2k8 bookshelf, shown here between my yearbooks and my wedding photos.


Here's my next suggestion, since we're talking so much about reading:
Support debut authors. And not only lead title ones. Check out some of the other books, the ones not getting tons of marketing dollars thrown at them. There are some gems out there.
The wonderful thing about books is not everyone likes the same thing. I've read some lead titles recently that I wasn't overly impressed with. Similarly, I've read mid-list books I didn't want to put down. So be daring and branch out.

And have a great week!

26 comments:

beth said...

I like the idea of a word for 2k9. For you, I think I'd pick SUCCESS: after all, you're fulfilling your dreams right now. For me, I think I'd pick SATISFACTION: I may not have all my dreams fulfilled right now, but I'm getting there and am satisfied with my efforts.

We must be on the same brainwave with the 2k9 books: I was just scrounging around on their website for one or two to add to my fifty books in 2009 list!

PJ Hoover said...

SUCCESS! Now that's a nice word, Beth! As is SATISFACTION. Your efforts are amazing!
I really do love the word idea. Once I decide, I'll print it out big and put it up in my office!
I plan to check the 2k9 site, also. Any good fantasies over there?????

Jason said...

Hmm...I want a nice word for 2009. Now I have something to stew over and ponder.

PJ Hoover said...

I know, Jason! I love the word idea! It's perfect!

Solvang Sherrie said...

I think my word for this year is DREAM. I come up with some of my best ideas while I sleep or just as I'm entering the dream world. And I'm following my dream of being a writer. This is my year to not be afraid to dream big and follow my dreams to see where they lead...

PJ Hoover said...

DREAM is a great one, Sherrie! Are dreams are like our visual goals of the future!
Thanks so much for visiting!

Barrie said...

Yes, it was a great year in the Class of 2k8! I'll add my 2k8 pic to my blog tomorrow a.m. I forgot to take that photo of Child #4, but can do it over breakfast. And, like you, I'm looking forward to lots of writing time tomorrow with kids back at school!

Marcia said...

I love to get the writing year off to a start. Hope your 9-2:30 is most productive!

Carrie Harris said...

I think that's one of the best parts of a book reading challenge: you get introduced to some mid-listers that you might not otherwise hear about. I immediately scanned your list to see what books I haven't heard of. :)

Devon Ellington said...

Hear, hear! It's so important to support living writers (debut and repeat authors). The sales figures not only decide how much money we receive and how many bills we can pay, but whether or not we continue to receive contracts.

Hmm -- I'm going to have to hunt down the perfect word for the year. I think TRIUMPH might be the one.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks so much for everything this year, Barrie! It's been such a blast!

Thanks, Marcia! Yes, a great start to the new year!

Totally agree, Carrie! Did you post a list?

Oooh! TRIUMPH! Now that is a wonderful, positive word, Devon!

Thanks for visiting! Now off to write!

adrienne said...

Now I'm stuck on the word idea! I'll be pondering that one...
Love your advice on choosing books, too.

Angela said...

Great words, guys! I'm going to mull on one myself...hmmmm, RISK? DRIVE? FOCUS?

Amy said...

Oooh, I'm not sure what to pick for you! I'm not sure what to pick for ME!

I think for me: Success. That's what I'm after this year, but I'd have to noodle on it some more. This is definitely one that takes some thinkin'.

Can't wait to see what YOUR word turns out to be.

beckylevine said...

Maybe your word is a phrase: "After School!" I'm doing the same thing--trying to push more of the nonwriting jobs till after my son is home. He's almost 13, so this should be VERY possible, if Mom/Control Freak can manage it. :)

Good luck!

PJ Hoover said...

Let me know your word when you think of it, Adrienne! It's fun to think of one!

RISK, DRIVE, FOCUS - all good, Angela!

I can't wait, either, Amy! SUCCESS is a great one, and what we should all be aiming for in life!

Thanks, Becky! I love the AFTER SCHOOL phrase! Yes, I know. It's trying to figure out what I can do when they are home and what I cannot!

Thanks for visiting, everyone!

Keri Mikulski said...

So true about reading and authors! :)

My word - FOCUS - MORE :)

And I agree with Beth! Congrats on 2008, PJ!

Vivian said...

So funny about the word...I was thinking out it the other day. There are so many good words...
right now, I'm leaning towards RESILIENCE.

Hope you enjoyed your writing day! And you must show us a picture of your red kitchen, when you're done. I love red!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Keri! FOCUS - MORE! You know, the two word combo works well. I'll have to consider it!

RESILIENCE is great, Vivian! And I had a great writing day. So great, I'm going to spend the rest of the evening reading.
And yes on the photo of the red kitchen!

Stacy Nyikos said...

Well said. It's a creative reader who branches out into the unknown. Man, doesn't that sound like a plot right there?

Here's my too many years of taking poli sci philosophy classes take on a mantra word: BALANCE.

Gottawrite Girl said...

Neil Gaimon.... geez, I gotta read him!!! Everyone talks about this man...

As for me, I'd chose COMPLETION. As in, my first draft is finito, finally!!!

: )

Thanks, PJ!

gabe said...

Happy 2009, PJ - great advice about the WORD and about the reading ... so many words, so many books ... choosing is the hard part ... hey maybe that's my word - choose? Congrats on a fantastic 2008.

Sheryl said...

I need a word, too. I'm thinking enlightenment! I might play around with that for a few days and see if it works. Thanks for the inspiration.

carla said...

for me?

CHUTZPAH.


miss you,

Carla

PJ Hoover said...

Yes, Susan, he does kind of seem like required reading, doesn't he :)
And COMPLETION is great!

Thanks, Gabe! I hope you have a great release year, too! And CHOOSE is nice!

ENLIGHTENMENT - Good one, Sheryl!

Miss you, too, Mizfit! And nice blog post today, BTW! CHUTZPAH. Since my Hebrew is a bit on the shy side, I'll go google now :)

PJ Hoover said...

Stacy - I totally missed your momment!

BALANCE is great for you! Actually for anyone!
See ya!