"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Wednesday, January 07, 2009

In a Word

So I thought long and hard. I had a word floating around in my head. It was inspired from a nice quote I saw back in December which really hit home.
But...
Then my husband asked a question that made me reconsider.
I thought about it some more. And then I decided to go for it anyway.

My word for 2009?

EXCEED

Why exceed, you might ask? Here's the quote:

"The only certain means of success is to render more and better service than is expected of you, no matter what your task may be."
-- Og Mandino, author

The message I read here:
Exceed Expectations.
Go beyond what the standard is.
Do the extra revision.
Send the extra email.
Make your presentation better than people think it will be.

Seems like a great word, but then my husband (not in relation to any of this word stuff) asked me a question the other night.
"Do you think 'too' is a negative word?"

Initial reaction - no, of course not.

But then he pointed out that 'too' generally referred to excess (as in too much candy).
And the 'excess' in this made me stop and think about my word exceed.

Regardless, the word felt right for what I want to accomplish in 2009. I want to learn to be the person who gives 110%. Because with this extra effort I believe will come success.

Thanks to everyone who played the word game!

27 comments:

beth said...

I like it! Great word--fits you perfectly, and a wonderful outlook on the new year!

Jeanie W said...

Too can also mean also or as well. Too can signify a bonus or a bit extra of something good.

I like exceed. Great word for the year. Let's all go above and beyond previous expectations.

Jason said...

There's a difference between exceed and excess. Sure, you can exceed the speed limit, but you can also exceed expectations. That's a really nice word for 2009. It inspires, and shows that you want to be a real go-getter and be all you can be, which is an excellent attitude to have for the new year.

Vivian said...

I love your word! I'm going to link to your word into my post!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Beth! I hope I live up to it!

Oooh, a bonus! Now that's a nice thought, Jeanie.
We're giving you a million dollars, too!
I like that!

Thanks, Jason! It is the person I want to be!

Thanks, Vivian! These words are great, aren't they?

Barrie said...

Exceed is good. You go, girl!

lynn said...

Exceed is a great word to focus on. It's a reminder that no matter how much you grow or accomplish, there are always higher heights to reach for. That can be daunting if taken negatively, but taken positively it can mean that there are no limits!

I think my word of the year might be "growth"

Angela said...

Great word. With something like that, no doubt that more success is headed your way.

Miriam S.Forster said...

I like it. Good luck with the exceeding!

Welcome! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelly Hoeckelberg-Young said...

I like it ... it makes me think "go the extra mile", which is perfect.

I decided on "content" ... not as in stagnant, but as in being OK with where I'm currently at and the new path I'm headed down. I've been struggling for 2 years (since switching careers) with not having the big title, the big office, and the big paycheck ... it's as if that defined me. And, just recently, it's really hit me that I need to let that go, and know that it's OK to do so! And ... I think doing so will help me EXCEED my writing hopes and expectations even more!

Sorry ... that got long! Thanks for the word challenge ... it was a good one to think about!

beckylevine said...

I like this --it's a great word!

Marcia said...

Exceed is great. I haven't thought much about one word, but exceed reminds me of one that would make my top five for sure -- excellence.

Patty P said...

Exceed is a great word. We should all try to exceed expectations a bit more often!

Keri Mikulski said...

Love it! ;)

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Barrie!

Exactly, Lynn. It reminds me to always put in the extra effort!

I hope so, Angela!

Thanks, Miriam!

Kelly, CONTENT is perfect! We should be happy in life. Life is to enjoy after all!

Thanks, Becky, Marcia, Patty, and Keri! Exceeding expectations must be a good thing, right???

Thanks so much for visiting!

TJ Brown said...

Oooh good! Exceed! Goes along with my 2009 word, More:)
Teri

PJ Hoover said...

They are pretty similar, Teri! Maybe since you were my word inspiration, it was in my subconscious. :)

Carrie Harris said...

So fabulous. And honestly? I think that word can ALREADY be used to describe you.

PJ Hoover said...

Aw, Carrie, what a nice thing to say! Thanks!

Hope everyone has a great day.

adrienne said...

Great choice! I hope the year does exceed your expectations.

Amy said...

EXCELLENT word! Here's to 2009!

Sheryl said...

I like it!! It's the perfect word for you... now we just need to spread the word about THE WORD...

Or something like that.

Alyssa Goodnight said...

Were you an electrical engineer in Austin? Me too!

I think you picked a great word for 2009! I'd definitely like to exceed my own expectations.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Adrienne! I hope yours does, too!

I'll toast you, Amy! Hold up your glass now!

Spread the word about the word. Now that is catchy, Sheryl!

No way, Alyssa! I was for 15 years - Motorola, Intel, and Marvell. You?

Have a great night!

Devon Ellington said...

I think it's a fantastic word! Good for you!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Devon! I love having it in my mind!