"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Friday, January 23, 2009

We Interrupt Five on a Friday for...

I'm so behind on responding to meme tags, so instead of my normal Five on a Friday, I'll go with a meme.

First off, thank you so much to everyone who has tagged me or given me an award. I totally love these, even if I am lax on passing them on. But thank you!!!!

OK, now for Six things that make me Happy. And really, I could have done this last night, but starting the day off thinking about the good things in life is nice. And I'm trying not to be deep, but as I was thinking about this, I realized there are really large scale things that make me happy in life and then there are small scale things. Macro and Micro if you will.
So I'm diverging from the norm and doing this in contrast. A Macro. A Micro.

OK, let's see.

1)
Micro - This collage my daughter made. She loves to make collages (she loves art in general), and I love me some googly eyes.


Macro - That my children are creative and have a desire to learn and try new things. I can learn a lot from my kids.

2)
Micro -
People who smile, wave, stop what they are doing to leave a bit of happiness in their wake. Wanting to be this kind of person.

Macro - My family, immediate and extended. And not just my husband and kids (and pets of course). My parents who read this blog but never comment. My sister. My cousins, aunts, uncles. And the list goes on. I've always felt blessed to be part of such a large family. (Dad was one of 10 kids and mom was one of 11. Yes, to answer your next question, they are both Catholic.)

3)
Micro
- Seeing my book on not one but two shelves at Barnes & Noble yesterday. (Face out on one, so I had to explain to my son why it was OK for mommy to turn the cover out on the other shelf).



Macro - The writing community at large. I'm part of so many wonderful groups: All you bloggers, my awesome critique group, the Austin writing community, the Class of 2k8 (which I realize is over, but I have made so many friends through it). And who said writing is a lonely business?

4)
Micro
- The gorgeous sunrise this morning while driving my son to school. (And in the short time it took to tell him I love him and kiss him goodbye, the colors shifted and day had come.)

Macro - Turning tree-hugger here - Being able to take the time to see the beauty of the world around me. They sky, water, plants, animals. Seriously, every single little thing is a miracle in and of itself.

5)
Micro
- Reading a great book. I loved City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau. It was that kind of book I didn't want to put down.

Macro - Being able to step back from a book and examine it. What worked. Why it worked. What didn't. And why. Because this will help me improve. And then maybe one day I'll have a movie made out of a book of my own :)

6)
Micro
- Having someone say something nice about my books/writing.

Macro - Having the motivation to keep writing day after day. Having the desire to improve. Having ideas spring into my head. Feeling like I want to write for the rest of my life.


Please consider yourself tagged! This is a great thing to do no matter what.

And have a great weekend!

32 comments:

Lady Glamis said...

What a wonderful post!

I wish for the day that I can seem my book on a shelf. I am so happy that you have that opportunity! Truly a dream come true. :)

I need to read your work sometime. It sounds good.

Not sure if I'll do this meme. I'm always shying away form from following the crowd, and most of my blogging friends have done this one already. Although it would certainly go well after my last "melancholy" post...

I love that you did Micro and Macro. What a great idea. Because our lives truly are filled with small and big things, and both should be explored and respected.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Lady Glamis! I'm always a bit reluctant to do memes too. Not sure why. But this one I really liked. And it's so true. Even the smallest things can bring joy to our day.
Thanks for visiting!

C.R. Evers said...

Great list! Love the collage too! reminds me of a frog.

And your book looks gooooood on that B&N shelf! :0)

Christy

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, thanks, and thanks, Christy! A frog is a really cute comparison!

Solvang Sherrie said...

Love the collage -- children do some of the best art :)

And being able to appreciate a beautiful morning in the company of your children is a lovely thing.

Great post!

BTW, I asked for your book at a B&N in Ventura, CA and they said they couldn't order it!? I'm going to check with my local book store or just get it from Amazon. Looking forward to reading it :)

Elise Murphy said...

A lovely, uplifting list! Thanks for sharing . . .

beth said...

I LOVE how you did micro and macro--I want to go back and revise mine now.

..and how cool...to see your book on a shelf.

adrienne said...

I like your micro/macro comparisons...great idea.
The collage is great! I learn a lot from my kids, too.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Sherrie! And thanks for trying to order it. I checked with my publisher and B&N has placed orders for the warehouse but they haven't arrived yet which is I guess why it couldn't be ordered.

You're welcome, Elise! Thanks for reading!

Revisions are always allowed, Beth! It's what we writers do best (or at least what we should do best).

Thanks, Adrienne! And the collage makes me smile every time I see it!

Thanks for visiting!

lotusgirl said...

I love the smiles, waves, nice things for others comment. I don't think we give enough credit to people who do this. They brighten my day.

I also like your micro/macro take--nice twist.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Lois! Encountering happy people spreads happiness :)

Keri Mikulski said...

Great list!!

And congrats on Barnes and Nobles! Great stuff. :) I'll make sure to look at my local B and N and turn the cover out too.

Have a great weekend!

lynn said...

your book looks amazing on those shelves! :)

Amy said...

What a perfect way to end the week. Thank you!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Keri! You have a great weekend, too!

Thanks, Lynn! I thought it looked really pretty, also :)

You're welcome, Amy! Glad you had a great week, too!

Lapillus said...

Yay for your happy list! I loved it. I also love your daughter's collage - it's so lovely!

It must be really awesome seeing your book on shelves! SO neat!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Casey! Now what if the collage made it onto the front of a book. That would be way cool!

Happy weekend!

Vivian said...

Congrats on the Barnes & Noble placement! That must be so exciting to see your book there!

As for your daughter's collage. Yes! It would make a great book cover. I can see it--lengthened, with a little more white space on top and black, or maybe dark fuschia type, with the Hoover name on it.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Vivian! Now I just need a book idea to go along with the collage :)

Barrie said...

These were great to read, PJ! Have a wonderful weekend too!

Anna Lefler said...

What a great list! Just reading it made me happy...and more aware of the happiness in my life.

Thank you!

:^) Anna

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Barrie! It was a fun thing to do!

You're welcome, Anna! It made me happy to think about and write the list. There's so much joy in the world.

Thanks for visiting!

Nora MacFarlane said...

I loved City of Embers, too. I liked the micro/macro comparisons. Congrats on your book!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Nora! City of Ember was a great book!

Marcia said...

Love the macro/micro approach!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Marcia! Micro and Macro seems to apply to so much of life!

Stacy Nyikos said...

I couldn't help it. When I saw your daughter's collage, I thought instantly that this must be her version of a naugical :-)

Gottawrite Girl said...

I LOVE your daighter's collage! And, sorry to be a bit late with my comment... however, loved this post, as always. A great list...

: )

Take care, PJ!

Kelly H-Y said...

What a fabulous list ... love the macro/micro approach! Your daughter is quite the artist as well ... just like your son!

PJ Hoover said...

I'll have to mention the Nogical connection to her, Stacy! It will make her proud :)

Thanks, Susan! And you're not late at all. I haven't even posted today yet!

Thanks, Kelly! I wonder where they got the art gene? Maybe I'll have to try it again.

Happy Monday!

Tabitha said...

Thanks PJ! Glad you liked my post. :) I just picked up Bliss from the library, but haven't read it yet. It's next on the list, though.

I laughed out loud when I saw your Micro/Macro approach, because only an engineer would think of that! Love it!! :)

PJ Hoover said...

Engineers do have a different way of viewing the world, don't they, Tabitha! Which I'm happy about :)