"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Book Fair Five on a Friday

Posting early as I'm off to test in Kung Fu tonight (First Brown for anyone who follows this kind of stuff). After this, my next test will be black belt! Wish me luck!

---

I love the school book fair! Not only does it bring back awesome childhood memories, but I get to buy great new books, support the school, and see kids immersed in the joy of picking out books of their own!
So I've been volunteering at the book fair the last couple times, and in honor of that, here's my Book Fair Five on a Friday!

1) I love seeing friends' books for sale at the book fair!!!!!
Here we have TX Bluebonnet list book The Gollywhopper Games by Jody Feldman.

And here we have Take the Reins by Jessica Burkhart!

You gals rock!

2) Guess what the most popular book (still) at the book fair is?

(Notice how empty the table is. That's an order form you see.)

3) With my son in 2nd grade, we finally paid our initiation dues and joined The Diary of a Wimpy Kid club. Yes, we got all four books.



4) For anyone who thinks there is no more room for another ABC book, check out our awesome ABC purchase. I give you SuperHero ABC by Bob McLeod.
(I highly recommend this if your little one likes Superheroes!)


5) Other purchases included:
Percy Jackson: The Demigod Files by Rick Riordan
39 Clues: One False Note by Gordon Korman
The Black Book of Secrets by F. E. Higgins (I've read the opening scene which has to do with tooth extraction of all things)
Found by Margaret Peterson Haddix
Scooby Doo: The Movie Star Mystery
Marvel Villians Poster Book


Have a great weekend!

25 comments:

Lenore said...

Book Fairs get me all excited!!

Hope you get your brown :)

PJ Hoover said...

Me too, Lenore! Love them!
And thanks!

TJ Brown said...

Mostly the second quote. I meant I have no formal education. The way it's written seems like I am totally uneducated:)
Teri

Jessica Burkhart said...

Good luck at testing, PJ! :)

And thank you for the awesome pic!!

beth said...

Yay, a reading weekend for you, too! :)

Miriam S.Forster said...

I love books. Mmmm... books...

Miriam S.Forster said...

And good luck, by the way!!

lotusgirl said...

I love book fairs! I always go nuts in those. I get so excited that my kids are excited about buying books.

Brown belt! That's fantastic! Good luck with that. My kids do karate and are blue belts at this point, so I'm familiar with the general road to black.

Marcia said...

Yep, book fairs are great. Going for your brown belt? Super!

Rebecca said...

Oh, we had a book fair today too! I got Chicks and Salsa, a very cute picture book about farm animals that are bored with their ordinary barnyard food! My second-grade boy picked it out.

We also got the last Wimpy Kid book, of course.

PJ Hoover said...

Got it, Teri. I see what you mean. But the article was way cool!

Thanks, Jessica! And you are welcome! I went looking for it specifically with my camera in hand!

Totally, Beth! I have some good stuff!

Me, too, Miriam! And thanks! The test went well!

I figure book fairs are a good place to spend my money, Lois! It's like donating to the school and getting something in return! And thanks!

Totally, Marcia! I'm so glad they still have book fairs! And thanks!

Hope you guys have a great Friday!

PJ Hoover said...

Oh, we cross posted, Rebecca! That Chicks and Salsa book does look darling! Good choice! Ah, yes, and Wimpy Kid. I keep hearing, "Mom, listen to this..."

Angela said...

I love the book fair too! Good luck on your testing!!

Carrie Harris said...

Our book fair is next week, and if Superhero ABC is there, I'm TOTALLY buying it. Half for my son, and half for me. I admit it freely. :)

jody said...

Thanks for taking the picture. Even after a year, I'm still astounded to see my book in public.

Good luck on the brown belt!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Angela! And what is it that makes book fairs so special?

Carrie, I admit I have a personal interest in it, too. Which makes it all the better. I can save the receipt and list it under "research".
Yes, get it!

Thanks, Jody! I loved seeing your book there!

Have a great weekend!

adrienne said...

The possibilities for ABC books are endless!

PJ Hoover said...

Truly they are, Adrienne! This one was perfect for us!

Heather Zundel said...

Yay for book fairs! I didn't know they were still doing them (isn't that terrible of me? I haven't graced an elementary school in too long). And that is fantastic that they have a Wimpy Kid club! How cool is that?

PJ Hoover said...

Heather, until my son started in elementary, I'd figured book fairs were a thing of the past, too! I'm so glad they aren't. They are such a blast!

D.A. Riser said...

Good luck today! I'd come by if I was near Austin.

Sell, sell, sell!!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Dan!

Kelly said...

I love the school book fair. My kids are so excited to purchase a book and I can browse and browse through the selections. My son loves the Wimpy Kid books too!

PJ Hoover said...

I know, Kelly! I was so excited when my son asked if we could go back by the book fair again!

Christina Farley said...

Book fairs are fun aren't they? I always spend way too much money.