"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

On Banter, Coraline, and The Scorpion King

So how's everyone doing on their reading for the year? Of those who joined the fun for the 50 Book Challenge, how's it going? I've read 12 so far.

--

Now Coraline.
I LOVED the book. And I LOVED the movie. Seriously. This has to be the most far-exceeding-expectations movie I've seen in ages. Granted I was not a Nightmare Before Christmas fan. I just didn't care much for the story line. So my thoughts for Coraline were that it was going to be much like Nightmare.
Not. At. All.
This movie was like eye candy. It was a work of art. See it in 3D if at all possible. The mouse circus alone pays for the extra cost of the 3D glasses.

And for the record, my kids are 4 (girl) and 7 (boy). They both loved the movie. It really wasn't all that scary all things considered. When Other Mother turned into a monster is was a bit frightening. But frightening in that my daughter sat on my lap at that point but still totally watched it.

And priceless comments kids make:
While driving away, my kids asked why Other Mother wanted to steal Coraline and I said that Other Mother just wanted someone to love and to love her.

My daughter pipes up: I'd go live with Other Mother.
Me: You'd leave me and go live with her.
Her: Yeah.
Me: But Other Mother is a mean monster.
Her: Well, that's OK.

So maybe I need to cook a nice big turkey for dinner and make another cake.

Have you seen it? What did you think? If you haven't, I really can't recommend it enough! Loved it!

---

On a different movie subject. I have a movie which is quickly becoming one of my favorites. I'd be shocked if anyone who reads this blog has seen the movie, but I'll put it out there:
The Scorpion King 2: Rise of a Warrior

Yes, I love the original Scorpion King, but this is a new one. It just came out in August (straight to DVD).

What I love about SK2:
OK, there's the amazing cool scenery.
There are the costumes.
The main character's not all bad :) I'm sure I could find him a role in some future book. And to be fair, ditto on the female main character.
There are a bunch of scantily clad people with kick-butt weapons running around fighting.
There's an awesome trip to the underworld.
And a goddess who does a great job seeming like she's young and thousands of years old all at the same time.

But above all else, there is the banter between the main characters. It is priceless. I could watch certain scenes over and over again just to pick up on the subtle jokes and innuendos. There is one scene in particular where the male and female leads banter back and forth. It like perfect choreography. And the best part is the subtle smile the male lead character keeps on his face throughout. That perfect mix of cockiness and confidence and determination.
In short, I want to write banter like this. I love banter. Actually, I just want to write this story. Ah well... I'll just watch the movie again.

So watch this movie, too. Or if you are one of the lucky people who has actually seen it, don't be shy! Speak up!

What dialogue have you seen or read which keeps you coming back for more?

31 comments:

Miriam S.Forster said...

Oh, that's funny. I haven't seen Scorpion King 2, but you know that movie obsession I get? Yeah, I'm obsessed with the Mummy movies.

I own the set with The Mummy, The Mummy Returns and The Scorpion King starring the Rock. And I have seen all of them. Repeatedly. In fact I practically have the commentaries for the first two memorized.

I wasn't as impressed with the Scorpion King, but now I may have to see the sequel. :-)

PJ Hoover said...

You would love it, Miriam. It is actually more my kind of movie than The Scorpion King. And of course you must know I own the Mummy movies on DVD, too!
BTW, check out my post from Sunday night when you get a chance. You will appreciate my derby car :)

Kelly H-Y said...

Oooohhhhh, now I definitely want to go see the movie, "Coraline"! Sounds awesome!!! (Plus, it's got the whole 'Oregon connection' with Phil Knight!) Thanks for the recommendation ... always so helpful, especially when you're not sure what the younger ones' reactions will be.

Heather Zundel said...

Ha! I've heard of the Scorpion King 2 (one of my friends even tried out for the part of the main girl) and I've wanted to see it. Straight to DVD you say? So is it like a B-movie, or a good B-movie? Trust me, not that that is bad. There is a special place in my heard for B-movies.

And I really want to see Coraline. Just so many elements are drawing me to it. But I have to say, I love Nightmare Before Christmas (if you didn't know from my character post ). There's just something so happy about that skeleton that I can't help but fall in love with. Great post! Now I have two more movies to see. ^_^

beth said...

So glad you liked Coraline! It really was a feast for the eyes, wasn't it?

I've not seen SK2 yet. I quit watching the Mummy movies after the Mummy Returns (horrible sequel), but that one sounds good!

lynn said...

I love banter! it's one of the most entertaining things in movies/books, and one of the hardest to get right. I'll put TSK2 on my list of movies to watch :)

Kimberly Derting said...

So glad to hear your kids loved Coraline...I'm definitely going now! Although, maybe I don't want my daughter to LOVE the other mommy. I'll have to bribe her with extra goodies to keep her on my side!

D.A. Riser said...

Scorpion King 2? Get out of town! I didn't know they made part II.

I've all the Mummy movies and the first Scorpion King. I'll definitely be getting this one.

Straight to DVD? I guess missing this is what I get for having not been to Blockbuster in awhile. Geesh, what's the world coming to ...

PJ Hoover said...

Yes, Kelly, go see it! It's bright and musical and fun!

Wow, Heather, your friend must be able to kick some a**. It's actually a really good movie. I don't know why it went straight to DVD. I'd have seen it in the theater. But I may be the exception here.

Oh, Beth, if you quit at The Mummy Returns, then SK2 may not be for you. Yes, The Mummy Returns was not the best sequel. But it did have all the obligatory scenes. Plus my kids love these mummy movies!

Lynn, the banter is perfect in SK2! Yes, watch it! It's so nice because it doesn't feel overdone to me at all.

Bribes are always good, Kimberly! They certainly work around this household. And now my daughter has decided she likes me more than Other Mother, so I'm back to number one!

I know, D.A. It was sheer luck that we even saw an add for it. I think the ad was at the beginning of The Mummy 3 and that's how we heard about SK2. If you like the others, you will love this!

Thanks for visiting, everyone!

lotusgirl said...

I'll have to check out SK2. We're big fans of the Mummy movies and the SK is great.

PJ Hoover said...

Lois, if that is the case, you will LOVE SK2!

Tabitha said...

I am so far behind in the movie scene it's not funny. Or, maybe it is funny. :) My kids (3 and 5) are a little too little to see Coraline yet. My five year old is highly sensitive, and started crying in Pete's Dragon, when Elliot got caught in the nets. So I think I'll wait to show it to him, but I want to see it.

That's great you've read so many books! I'm moving right along with my list, too. I'll probably finish book #14 today. :)

PJ Hoover said...

I remember my son hitting that sensitive stage, Tabitha. I think my daughter is going to skip it totally!
And great on your reading, too!

Lady Glamis said...

I am happy to say that I have seen The Scorpion I. I think I'll see the 2nd one now. I am so glad I'm not the only one who likes this kind of stuff! We have all The Mummy movies, too.

I will take your advice and see Coraline. Everybody seems to love it!

Lapillus said...

We REALLY want to see Coraline but we weren't sure if it was appropriate for our 2.5-year-old. She's fearless where movies are concerned, so far, but something will eventually get to her, I'm sure.

I haven't seen SK2 - maybe we'll check it out!

PJ Hoover said...

Definitely see it, Michelle! If you like the first one, you'll love the second!
And YES on Coraline! It was just wonderful!

Maybe your little one would sleep, Casey? Really it was no where near as scary as I thought it would be, for which I am glad.

Thanks for visiting!

adrienne said...

LOL at your daughter's comment! Was it the lure of the cupcakes that got her?
I loved the animation in Coraline, but some of the story didn't seem to make sense, so I'm guessing it's better to have read the book first.

PJ Hoover said...

I wonder, Adrienne. I did read the book first, and somehow that always does seem to make movies more clear. But yeah on the animation. It was great!

Angela said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angela said...

I've seen SK2, and yes, I'd agree the costumes and special effects were good, but the acting...meh. The sidekicks (especially the girl) were annoying...and it did take something away from the movie for me.

Coraline I can't WAIT to see! I read the book ages ago and loved it!

PJ Hoover said...

LOL, Angela. I hear you on the acting, but if anything it endeared me more toward the movie. Weird, I know.
And I can't believe someone besides me has seen it!

Amy said...

Haven't seen either. Hadn't planned to.

Now I do.

Thanks!

PJ Hoover said...

Good, Amy! hopefully You'll be a convert!

Keri Mikulski said...

I haven't seen either too.. I'm frightened easily.. But, I love to hear what others are reading/watching.. It gives you a glimpse into their head.

Lately, I've been paying close attention to television dialogue - 90210, Gossip Girls, and One Tree Hill for obvious reasons. :)

PJ Hoover said...

Keri, you're missing out on an important experience in life :)
Yes, listening to dialogue is key!

Elise Murphy said...

I think Coraline is the scariest book I have ever read. Really.

I'm not sure my 6,6,and 9 year old daughters won't be terrified.

Maybe I'll go first . . .

Thanks for the review!

PJ Hoover said...

I found it really creepy, but in a fun way (the book). But yeah, if you are concerned, see it first yourself. If nothing else it's an excuse to go twice :)

TJ Brown said...

I bought Coraline for my son for Christmas... He hasn't made it to the movies, but will soon. I don't like that type of animation so I probably will wait.

And hated Nightmare Before Christmas!
Teri

Carrie Harris said...

Wow, that's a full post! Let's see: I'm at 19 reads for the challenge and loving every minute of it. I've decided to do haiku reviews for all of the rest of the books, because that was fun. :) I haven't seen the Scorpion King 2, but I've got to. My favorite banter is probably in Boondock Saints, which is hilarious and thought-provoking but not at ALL suitable for kids. And Coraline has been one of my favorite books since it came out, but we have yet to see the movie because we've all contracted what feels like the plague. ;)

Donna Bowman Bratton said...

So glad to hear that Coraline isn't too scary. My son steers clear of anything with a creepy tone.

I think we'll read the book first. That will give him the controls before we sit before a bigger-than- life screen.

PJ Hoover said...

Teri, don't let Nightmare keep you away from Coraline. It was so much brighter. But if you don't like that animation at all, that may be a problem.

Carrie, after you get over the plague, go to the movies! And wow on the 19 books! That is GREAT!

Donna, I'm really glad I read the book first, though I think people will still enjoy the movie regardless! It was fun!

Thanks for visiting, everyone!