"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Book Review Club: THE DUST OF 100 DOGS by A. S. King

Welcome to my March contribution to The Book Review Club organized by the fabulous Barrie Summy, author of I So Don't Do Mysteries. Barrie had this great idea to organize a monthly roundup of book reviews posted on the first Wednesday of each month. And seeing as how today happens to be that Wednesday, here you go.

Up this month: THE DUST OF 100 DOGS by A. S. King

SUMMARY:
Saffron is a modern-day teenager. Emer is a dead pirate gal who lived 300 years ago. Yet Emer lives inside Saffron, knows where a butt-load of buried treasure is, and has never forgotten her one true love, Seanie.


WHY I BOUGHT IT:
Awesome cover.
Intriguing title.


ONE INTERESTING CHOICE:
Emer is a bloodthirsty pirate. That's all there is to it. Yes, she had a hard childhood, lost her true love, and was sold into slavery.
But she's still a bloodthirsty pirate.
So how can we root for her? Why do we want her to burn and sink and pillage all the other ships out there on the ocean? Why do we want her to be able to keep all her gems and fortunes? She should be despicable.
But she's not. We like her. She's doing all these unspeakable things, but we want her to win.
Huh. I've heard about writers being able to do this well, but this is the first time I've actually experienced it. Very good job!


ONE INTERESTING OPINION OF MINE (minor spoiler):
Did anyone else who read this book want Emer to end up with David instead of Seanie?


WHAT WORKED SUPERBLY IN THE DUST OF 100 DOGS:
The dual story. I was engaged totally in both. Present day Saffron got the first person POV, but Emer's close third person POV was even stronger. Of the two characters, I felt more for Emer. Wanted more for her. And cared way more for her.
(Not that I didn't care for Saffron. I did. Just more for Emer.)


FINAL THOUGHTS:
Yes, buy this book! Recommend it to a friend. Not for elementary school kids. This is a YA. It's bloody and has some harsh scenes. But I loved it. And it gets bonus points for being such a fresh and unique idea!


And if you're interested in being part of the monthly Book Review Club, contact Barrie Summy!

27 comments:

beckylevine said...

Oh, I've seen this cover--just hadn't focused on the title! It sounds great-thanks for the review.

Barrie said...

Hey PJ! It's not often I'm referred to as fabulous. Must show your blog to my children! Very interesting review! I mentioned it to Travis Erwin because he writes about pirates. :) I love stories with more than one POV.

Keri Mikulski said...

This is on my TBR. Thanks for the review, fellow clubber! :)

Travis Erwin said...

Barrie sent me and I will look for this book soon. Sounds great.

D.A. Riser said...

That review is greatness, and I love your opening comments, PJ. Of course, I have a weakness for pirate books ...

PJ Hoover said...

It's really great, Becky! And I love the cover!

Thanks, Barrie! And I love stories with more than one POV when they are done well, which this one really is!
And let there be no doubt, you are fabulous! Kelly Couric told me so.

You're welcome, Keri! Heading over to read your review now!

If you like pirate stories, you probably will like this one, Travis. Thanks for visiting!

Ditto, Dan. Pirate stories...this is a book for you! And thanks!

Happy Wednesday, everyone!

Thao said...

This book looks and sounds perfect to me. And I love your review ^^

lotusgirl said...

This book sounds really interesting. I love the title too. The cover wouldn't have done it for me and I probably wouldn't have seen the title. Now that I know I'll have to check it out.

adrienne said...

That is a cool cover.
My kids would say you root for her because the bad guys are always more interesting :)

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Thao! If you like YA (which is seems you do), you'd love this book!

So funny, Lois! That's one great thing about the writing world. So many different things appeal to so many different people!

Bad guys are more interesting! Your kids are right, Adrienne! Now I just need to convince myself of that on the next book I write.

Thanks for visiting!

Lapillus said...

How timely!

I came across this book yesterday when I was reading cover stories on Melissa Walker's blog. I LOVE the cover and now I definitely want to read it!

Carrie Harris said...

I remember when Flux picked this up, and it was one of those book ideas that made me gnash my teeth in envy. I haven't picked it up yet, but it's only a matter of time. My to-read list is just too bleeping long!

PJ Hoover said...

It's really a great read, Casey! And I saw that cover story, too! I want the red boots!

I know, Carrie! Such a great, unique idea. Flux is lucky!

Thanks for visiting!

Kelly H-Y said...

Sounds fascinating! Great review. You're right ... a very appealing cover and title!

beth said...

*shields eyes from reading the post*

I have this one ordered! Not here yet, but it will be any day! I cannot wait!!!

lynn said...

wow that is a pretty fun cover. and yay feisty pirates--will check it out!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Kelly! I totally recommend it!

I can't wait until you read it, Beth! Then we can talk pirates :)

Totally, Lynn! It's very good!

Heather Zundel said...

Oooh! This sounds fantastic. You've got me hooked. I was already intrigued, but now I need. I need, I need.

P.S I'm loving the way you review.

Sheryl said...

This looks good... and my reading list is sooo long!

Sheryl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christina Farley said...

Very interesting. I really want to read I don't do mysteries so this one sounds intriguing.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Heather! That is exactly how I felt about the book. I had to get it!

Me, too, Sheryl, but this one pushed its way to the top. Which I'm really glad it did. Hope all is great!

Interesting and unique are two really good words for this book, Christina!

Thanks for visiting!

Lenore said...

Now that you mention it, I was kind of rooting for David!

PJ Hoover said...

So glad I wasn't the only one, Lenore! David seemed so caring :)

Solvang Sherrie said...

I love pirates. And the cover looks awesome. I read "City of Ember" (and loved it!) because you recommended it, so thanks for the review!

Angie Frazier said...

I cannot wait to read this book! It looks amazing. I'm interested in how she made the blood-thirsty MC rootable. Is that a word?? ;-)

PJ Hoover said...

I'm so glad you liked City of Ember, Sherrie! That book was awesome to me! Have fun reading this one!

I know what you mean, Angie! How does someone do that? It was really done well, too!

Thanks for visiting!