"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Five on a Friday

Happy Friday! Here in the land of Austin, TX, we're heading into Spring Break!

1) My mom is in town! That said, I'm declaring a blog vacation for myself. I'll post over on The Spectacle next week, and I may post here once, but other than that, I'm going somewhat quiet. So if I don't comment on your blog, it doesn't mean I don't love you. I do! Really!

2) Read Eternal by Cynthia Leitich Smith. Loved it! Sure, it's a bloody story, but there are moments of pure humor which are nothing short of priceless. Love the attitude of the guardian angel (GA for short). So go out and buy this book. And read it. And then recommend it to a friend.

3) Reading A Curse Dark as Gold by Elizabeth C. Bunce. Aside from being a really cool person, Elizabeth makes some super cool costumes. She puts my "sewing for survival" skills to shame.

4) If you've read a good book, why not email the author and let them know. If your kid has read a good book, why not encourage them to email the author (via your email account of course). Nothing it better than knowing someone is enjoying your books!

5) Here's a Spring Break challenge. Set some goals and see how much you can get done. Maybe this is writing. Maybe this is fixing every single thing that's leaking around the house. Whatever it is, make a plan, and go for it!

And have a great weekend!

21 comments:

Solvang Sherrie said...

We don't have spring break until April! Have a nice week off :^)

Miriam S.Forster said...

Aww, I'll miss you! I've been meaning to hunt down Tantalize, also by Cynthia. Have you read it yet?

Thanks for the awesome info on my blog, btw. The two page limit is going to be HUGELY helpful.

Have fun!

Christina Farley said...

Both these books are on my reading list. But lately I've been writing like a maniac and not reading as much as I would like. Oh for the time!

Lenore said...

Enjoy your week!

I always try to e-mail authors when I've reviewed something I really like :) And they often write back.

Tabitha said...

My son's spring break starts this weekend, too. But instead of my mom coming here, we're going to see her. Have fun with your mom, and we'll miss you while you're gone! :)

Keri Mikulski said...

Happy Spring Break and enjoy!!! ;)

I'm in a cleaning and organizing mode right now.. That's on my list underneath my writing assignments. :)

Lady Glamis said...

PJ, most of the books I read, the author is dead. How sad is that? However, I will be reading some soon where I know the author is very much alive. Hmmm, like a cool book by PJ Hoover....

I'll miss you in the blogosphere. Have a great time with your mother!

lynn said...

have a fun break! My goal is to get my taxes done :P

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Sherrie! Back in Virginia, Spring Break was always around Easter. I have no reason why it's earlier here in TX.

I did read Tantalize, Miriam! Loved it, but I admit I loved Eternal even more. And there's no reason to read them in order really.

I get that, Christina. When really diving into writing, I have a much harder time reading.

Thanks, Lenore! And I love getting emails from readers! It's the best.

Have a great trip,. Tabitha! My kids wanted to go visit, but I figured this time my mom could come here!

Nothing like Spring to clean and organize, right Keri! Hey, your release is coming up REALLY soon, right?

Aw, thanks, Michelle! You know, I don't read too many dead authors. No idea why.

Oy, taxes, Lynn. I'm saving that task for after Spring Break. I don't think it should be too bad, though :)

Thanks for the well wishes, everyone!

Kelly said...

Enjoy your spring break, PJ!!

Kimberly Derting said...

Have fun with your mom...we'll be here when you get back!! :)

D.A. Riser said...

Party on, PJ. The blogosphere shall endure.

adrienne said...

Yikes! Spring break already? And now that you mention it, we do have a leaky faucet to fix this afternoon :)

Enjoy the break!

lotusgirl said...

Have a fun Spring Break. I've done some of that. I've discovered that authors really like that. Of course they would. I don't know why I thought it would be like bugging them. People love getting praise.

PJ Hoover said...

Thank, Kelly and Kimberly and Dan and Adrienne and Lois!

So far so good. Productivity abounds :)

Marcia said...

Hope you have a great visit with your mom. As for spring break, my son's week just ended, and I also wasn't around the blogosphere much lately. Enjoy "somewhere quiet"!

Kelly H-Y said...

Have a wonderful time with your mom!!! :-)

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Marcia and Kelly! Hope you guys have a great week ahead, also!

Carrie Harris said...

My spring break goal is to dig out the crazy back garden and put in a vegetable plot. I must be crazy, because I'm really looking forward to it.

PJ Hoover said...

Vegetables sound pretty nice, Carrie! I hope you're having fun!

Barrie said...

We have a two-week spring break in April!