"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Friday, March 27, 2009

Five on a Friday

Happy Friday! We've got a Cub Scout camp out this weekend (rain, rain, go away), really need to watch Return of the King to finish off the series, and I totally should mop the floor.
I build this up in my mind to be way more work than it actually is. It's like my bane. It's always there, calling to me. Taunting me. Mocking me.
What I need to do is change my attitude. Really. Take it by the horns. Look forward to it.

Anyway, back to Five on a Friday.

1) Thank you, Dan, for the Your Blog is Fabulous award. His challenge is to come up with five things I am obsessed with.
I'm finding this hard.
Sure there is writing.
And reading.
And my family.
Maybe I should become obsessed with mopping.
Or at the very least put more effort into something else. Exercise. Jigsaw puzzles. Legos. Mario Kart. I've thought about buying myself one of those fancy Paint-by-Numbers kits, but haven't found a print I like yet. What are you obsessed with?

2) Yesterday Betty X. Davis (Awesome Austin Writer) hosted a fabulous lunch for Austin writers at her house. Thank you so much, Betty! It was fantastic to get together and talk writing during the day. And so great to see so many cool people!

3) And my big question at lunch yesterday was this. My son's elementary school is hosting a reading photo contest. I can turn in ONE photo, either real or Photoshopped, of my son reading in an unusual place. At this point, I'm leaning towards the Photoshop. Any ideas? I have some, and when I finish it, I'll post it for sure!

4) So I'm in the absolutely awesome place of brainstorming for a new WIP. Love this stage. I'm totally excited about the idea, and find myself thinking about it all the time. Which means I think this idea will stick. More as it progresses.

5) I have a preliminary cover for The Navel of the World (The Forgotten Worlds Book 2). I'm not posting quite yet; I'll wait until it's for sure going to stick. But let me just say it's looking way cool! So Bangkok was on the cover of The Emerald Tablet. Any thoughts/guesses as to what's on the cover of The Navel of the World?

Hope you all have a great weekend!

26 comments:

Christine M said...

Have fun camping. Hopefully the rain will stop. Otherwise it won't be nearly as much fun.

You could photoshop your son reading on the moon. That could be kind of cool.

And cover of Navel of the World? Athens?

Have a great weekend.

Miriam S.Forster said...

I know what you mean, everyone has that one job that seems HUGE in their mind. Used to be laundry for me...

And currently I'm obsessed with boy inventors and sleuths. (While I was home I stole some of my dad's old books: Hardy Boys and Tom Swift Jr.)

Have fun brainstorming! And mopping... :-)

C.R. Evers said...

YaY! for the new book idea! Those are always fun.

Can't wait to see the new cover!

Christy

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Chris! I think the rain will stop, but it's supposed to get COLD!
The moon is good.
And you're close.

Funny, Miriam. Yes, everyone must have that one job. And boy inventors is way cool!

Yes, I love the new idea, Christy!

Thanks!

Shelli said...

what about him reading in "where the wild things are".

cant wait to see cover.

Kelly said...

Looking forward to your cover!
What a fun contest, you could put him anywhere, maybe in the cover of Emerald Tablet?!

Lady Glamis said...

PJ, I haven't finished reading The Emerald Tablet yet, but I'll tell you that I keep looking at the cover as I'm reading. So much detail. I'll bet your next book has a detailed cover. I hope it does!

Happy weekend, and good luck with a picture! I'd say no photoshop. :)

PJ Hoover said...

Shelli, it would be way cool to have him reading a book inside a book. This is a great idea!
Or reading a book with a picture of him reading a book on the cover.

Oh, another good one, Kelly. On the cover of The Emerald Tablet.
Wow, I'm glad I asked you guys!

Thanks, Michelle! I do love the cover of The Emerald Tablet, too. It's actually a read photo. Hard to believe.
So now Photoshop. Maybe I could have him crawl inside the tortoise habitat and take a picture of him reading in there.

:)

Thanks for visiting!

Solvang Sherrie said...

1. I think I'm obsessed with blogging...

3. I have a picture of my son reading on the toilet. But I'm not going to make it public, in spite of #1 above.

4. Sounds fun!! Are you done writing the whole Emerald Tablet series?

5. Navel of the world...Arctic Circle?

Jim Danielson said...

The navel of the world....hmmm....I'm torn between a Florida orange grove and the photo shoot site for the next SI swimsuit issue.

PJ Hoover said...

Yes, blogging, Sherrie. And really all things internet.
The toilet is good! Very appropriate :)
I am done writing the whole series (book 3 needs some serious editing, but the guts are there). Navel of the World? Sounds like a good topic for a post!

Ah, Jim, how we miss your humor :) If it did refer to the SI issue, that would probably tell a ton of copies!

Happy weekend!

beckylevine said...

Congrats on the new WIP AND the cover. And mopping--hate it. Hate more getting out the old vacuum cleaner for the one small rug in the house. But see, if we change our attitude toward a postive one--well, won't that just mean we have to do it more often?!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Becky! And LOL on the vacuum. I vacuum the tile. We have NO carpets left (thanks to our dog). I did invest in a Roomba to help while I'm writing. I thought about getting the Scroomba, but I'm not sure how well it would work.
See ya!

Christina Farley said...

Oh! A cover. That is exciting! I can't wait to see it. I love the Lord of the Rings series. Must watch that again. Sigh.

PJ Hoover said...

I love the LOTR, too, Christina! I used to be SO into it!

beth said...

Totally go with Photoshopping...how about photoshopping him into the city on the cover of your book?

Keri Mikulski said...

Can't wait to see your cover! ;)

adrienne said...

Sounds like a fun photo contest...I first pictured something in outer space.

Looking forward to seeing your new cover!

PJ Hoover said...

OMg, forgot about the picture, Beth! I'll have to do this as soon as I get back into town. And great idea on the book cover :)

Thanks, Keri and Adrienne! And outer space does sound cool, too!

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Carrie Harris said...

My mother always used to say that I could read in the middle of a tornado. I'd go for a picture of that. :)

Casey said...

I'm definitely obsessed with the internet.

I can't wait to see your new cover. I can't even begin to guess what's on it!

Kelly H-Y said...

How exciting to have the preliminary cover in your hands!!! Congrats! I don't know why, but Rome popped into my mind as far as the location on the cover?! Then ... I was thinking somewhere in Spain instead ... oh, I don't know! :-)

david mcmahon said...

As a writer and a parent, I like the concept of the photo reading contest.

PJ Hoover said...

LOL, Carrie! Reading in a tornado. Now that is funny!

Yes on the internet, Casey! It is obsessive totally!

Rome - Close, Kelly!

I love the photo reading contest, too, David! Thanks for visiting!

D.A. Riser said...

Hi PJ -- Sorry to have been MIA on the blog. I'm excited to see your list. I don't have the new Nintendo system to have the latest Mario Kart, but when the first version came out on the Super NES, it was my absolute favorite game of all time. We used to love playing the battle mode against one another and popping those balloons. If I ever get the new version, I'll let you know -- we'll have to have a challenge online!

PJ Hoover said...

An online challenge sounds great, Dan! Count me in!