"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Power of Laughter

So if you're ever having a bad day, think about this video. Normally, I never take the time to watch stuff like this, but the husband insisted. And I laughed until I cried.



***

I've been having a bit of a dilemma on what to work on next. It's been a while since I wrote something new, but though I have a list of (brilliant) ideas, I'm trying to figure out which one I want to devote my energy to next. Each day that comes, inspiration strikes and I know. I mean, just this morning in the car I had another great idea. So I'll brainstorm for a bit and see how it goes. In the meantime, I'm wrapping up a PowerPoint presentation I'll be giving at a juvenile delinquent center in a couple weeks.

***

I read and finished The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan. Plan on reading this in one sitting or at the dinner table while the kids are eating or at swimming lessons. You won't be able to put it down! And seeing as how City of Glass by Cassandra Clare came out yesterday, I supported my brick and mortar bookstore by heading on over to buy it. Is it bad that the cashier told me she recognized me?

And I have only one hour left in the (24 hour long) audiobook The Host by Stephanie Meyer. My list of rules for what books to listen to on audio keeps growing, and here's my latest rule:
This book is too long for my audiobook taste. Especially as it's written in first person. Though it's been a great and enjoyable book, in audio this long, I get to the point where I almost can't stand the main character. It's not the narrator; she does a great job. It's not the author; she's told a good story here. It's really just I almost despise the character after spending this much time with her. But once again, I think this is just because it takes me a while to listen to the book.

***

Here's my thought (and goal) for the day.
Do something nice and unexpected for someone.
They will appreciate it and you will feel good!

20 comments:

Tabitha said...

I love that the cashier at the bookstore recognized you. That's awesome! :)

I recently finished City of Bones, and have reserved a copy of City of Ashes from the library. And I completely agree about The Forest of Hands and Teeth - I read it in one sitting, too, because I could NOT put it down. :)

PJ Hoover said...

Yeah, I was kind of surprised, Tabitha. I didn't think I went in there that often. But if I get recognized, that's a good place for it to be!

Barrie said...

I'd like to hear how the talk at the juvenile delinquent center goes. Have a great day!

lotusgirl said...

I think a bookstore is a great place for an author to get recognized.

Carrie Harris said...

Heh. I read Forest of Hands and Teeth yesterday, standing in the kitchen. I'm lucky I didn't burn myself.

PJ Hoover said...

I will totally tell about the Juvenile talk about I give it, Barrie! It ought to be fun.

I agree, Lois! Course they were recognizing me as a consumer, not an author, but I'm not complaining.

Too funny, Carrie! It rocked, did it not?

Thanks for visiting!

Kelly said...

The Forest of Hands and Teeth is on my To Read list this year.
Poor Arsenio...

adrienne said...

Funny video! Loved the tie incident.
Great thought for the day, too :)

Casey said...

I can't wait to read the Forest of Hands and Teeth!

Keri Mikulski said...

Love the video. :)

Reading aloud sometimes changes everything, doesn't it. :)

I have a recommendation for you, but it comes out this summer - Cyn Balog's FAIRY TALE.. I think you'll love it. :)

Lady Glamis said...

Funny video! Really made me laugh, hehe. :)

I thought Breaking Dawn was too long. I can't imagine listening to it. Wow. I think she could have cut half of the book out and it would have been better. Just my opinion, though. I like things succinct. I should take my own advice when writing, though. :)

Thanks for the laugh!

PJ Hoover said...

Yes, poor Arsenio, Kelly. But funny for us!

The tie part was hilarious, wasn't it, Adrienne. Too funny!

You will love FOHAT, Casey! So good!

Thanks for the recommendation, Keri! I've been seeing this cover around, but thanks to you, I will definitely add it to the list!

I'm with you on succinct, Michelle. And The Host could have easily been but in half and not lost anything. Ah well.

Thanks for visiting, all!

Kelly H-Y said...

SO cool that you were recognized! Nice!
That video was hilarious ... thanks for the laugh!
Always so fun to do something nice and unexpected for someone else! Great goal for the day!

Christina Farley said...

Halarious! Loved it! I'm about to start the Host. I'm curious to see if I'll like it or not.

PJ Hoover said...

I laugh even when I think about the video, Kelly. It's just really classic!

I'm curious, too, Christina, if you will like the Host. I finished it, did like it, but wish it had been much shorter. It's very typical of Stephanie Meyer's writing, so keep that in mind while reading it.

Thanks for visiting!

Solvang Sherrie said...

Funny video! I used to love Arsenio Hall...

Good luck with the writing dilemma. I was working on three things at once and finally had to make myself just focus on one at a time. It's so hard.

I will have to add the Carrie Ryan book to my list since you all recommend it so highly!

Thanks for the reminder to do something nice today -- always a good thing :^)

Miriam S.Forster said...

I'll have to pick up the Carrie Ryan book, I've heard so much good stuff about it.

Not liking the main character eh? Could it be a lack of spunk? :-) Hahaha... Just kidding...

Laura said...

Good luck picking your next project! And what a lovely goal...

C.R. Evers said...

I'm can't wait to read Carrie's book!

lol at the video! :0)

PJ Hoover said...

Arsenio Hall was hilarious, Sherrie! I loved him in Coming to America!

Miriam, you will love The Forest of Hands and Teeth! And yes, lack of spunk totally plays into the audiobook thing.

Thanks, Laura!

The video is funny, isn't it, Christy!

Thanks for visiting!