"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Thursday, April 23, 2009

CafePress and Photoshop: What I do when I'm not writing

So my conclusion on revisions and drafts is that no authors work the same and think the same. So the revisions question is always an interesting question for an author to answer, but never one which should be used as a comparison between two authors.

*****

Inspirational tees to inspire me:

Sometimes I write. And sometimes I play around with Photoshop. And I have such fun with it, I've even opened a CafePress store.

It all started when I decided I wanted another Rubik's Cube t-shirt since mine is looking a bit raggedy.

To the store, I've loaded, of course, my The Emerald Tablet t-shirts. (These are printed on both sides with Lemurian lettering awesomely on the back.) My genius idea on these is to have 5 each printed for our whole family and wear these babies at Disney (actually, I may just design one with nothing but a giant cover on the front and back for Disney :) ). It's all about self-promotion. And think of the tens of thousands of people who will be seeing my book cover each and every day. Of course, I'll have to make sure to have business cards on me, too, just in case anyone asks.


Anyway, next is my Rubik's Cube design. It says:

SUCCESS
It may be only a couple twists away.

(so don't give up now)


My Physics equation for Power design. It says:

P=(m*a*d)/t
Get in gear.

Go the distance.

Do the time.



My Scantron design. It says:

GET IT RIGHT.
There is no partial credit.


So whaddya think? All of course in a variety of styles (and if you just love them and want to request a different style, let me know!).

Check them out here!

31 comments:

beth said...

I love the scantron one!!! :)

Made me think of this comic: http://xkcd.com/499/

AND OMG: No lie, my word verification word is "graded"!!!!!

Windsong said...

Love them! The shirts look awesome. :D

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Beth! And that is a funny comic! Graded - too funny!

Thanks, Windsong! They were fun to make!

Kelly H-Y said...

You go, girl!!! Wow ... designing t-shirts too! Impressive! Love the designs! I think that is an AWESOME idea to all be wearing the t-shirts at Disney!

maureen said...

What wonderful creative tee shirts!
You know you may be onto something here that the science community might really go for...whole nother earning opportunity for you!
Go Girl!!!!

Christine M said...

Those are awesome!

Jim Danielson said...

Tough deciding which I like best.... I'm thinking Rubik.

Oh, Tees @ Disney: Great idea!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Kelly! I crack myself up sometimes with the things I find time to do.

Oooh, I hope so, Maureen! I love geek humor!

Thanks, Chris!

I think Rubik for me, too, Jim. And my husband kind of laughed when I told him about my idea of wearing my book cover on his shirt all week :)

Hope you guys have a great evening!

T. Anne said...

That's def. thinking outside the box! I think wearing it to Disney is brilliant.

Rebecca said...

The shirts look great. I especially like the Rubik's cube one.

Shelli said...

nice - you a graphic designer?

Miriam S.Forster said...

Oh, very nice! And I definitely think you should get a giant cover tee shirt for Disney. Words are cool, but everyone has words. :-)

Lady Glamis said...

Oh, cool! I want one! I like the Rubik's cube, that's fun! I like them all, though. You're brilliant!

Brianna said...

Nice shirts! That's a much better distraction than playing mind-numbing puzzle games on MSN like I occasionally do when I need to stop thinking about writing.

Can't wait to read the next book (you likely announced that ages ago, but I'm excited starting today because I just read about it!).

Solvang Sherrie said...

How cool! I used to have a Cafe Press store but I haven't kept up with it. Love the shirts with the book cover. Excellent promotion. I just made business cards for myself for this weekend. Here's hoping I get to hand some out!

lynn said...

My fav's the Rubik's cube tee :)

Lenore said...

I really like the rubik's cube shirt!

Have fun at Disney.

Angela said...

What a great idea for promotion! One of these days you're going to have to post about all the ways you've promoted yourself, both the usual and unusual!

adrienne said...

Great shirts! I also love the Rubik's cube one.

Heather Zundel said...

I LOVE these! I'm partial to the rubiks cube myself because I just need to learn how to do that last row.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, T. Anne! Wearing the shirts at Disney amuses me :)

Thanks, Rebecca! It's my favorite, too!

No, Shelli. I just loved playing around with Photoshop. I'd like to learn more about it cause it's so much fun!

Words are cool, Miriam, but you are right. Everyone has words!

(Blush) Michelle :) You're sweet to say so!

Funny, Brianna! It is a nice way to not think about writing! And keeps the creative juices flowing!

I hope you hand out a ton of cards, Sherrie! Have fun!

Ditto, Lynn and Lenore! I love the Rubik's one, too! I'll definitely be sporting that!

A promotional post is a fun idea, Angela! I'll take you up on that suggestion!

Thanks, Adrienne! I can't draw but I can use the computer :)

Yes, learn to do the last row, Heather! It just makes you feel smart!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Fifi Colston said...

Ah- the Rubiks cube one is how I live my life! I love the power equation one too. I think these are a muct for anyone in the creative arts- let alone the science community.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Fifi! These are how I want to live my life, so I made them to help remind me! It's so great to have a positive attitude, isn't it!
Thanks for visiting!

beckylevine said...

These are great. I had no idea you could just design your own tees & toss them up here. Hmm....

PJ Hoover said...

So does this mean you're going to design some, Becky?????

Robyn said...

I love the physics equation for power design. And of course, it goes without saying, I really love the Emerald Tablet design. Good stuff! :)

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Robyn! It was fun to do!

Casey said...

Those are fabulous PJ! How fun!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Casey!

D.A. Riser said...

Very cool. I like the Rubik's Cube shirt.

PJ Hoover said...

It's my personal favorite, too, Dan! Love the cube!