"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Monday, April 20, 2009

Did they want the kiss?????

Okay, the big moment you've all been waiting for. After my big presentation to the 2nd graders (who are reading The Emerald Tablet aloud in class), I asked the question:
Do you want Iva and Andy to kiss in The Navel of the World (Book 2)?

Their answer...

A resounded, hooting, hollering YES, from boys and girls alike.
22 second graders, half boys and half girls, and they ALL wanted the kiss!!!!!
Ah, young love :)



***

For the first time since I was maybe 5, I flew a kite. It took the Cub Scouts to get me out there, and we all had a blast. What I learned:
1) The kite cannot be to heavy.
2) The tail makes a huge difference. Do not take off the tail to make it lighter.
Once our kite got airborne, it rocked! A giant dragon floating in the air. It even took down another kite a la The Kite Runner (which I have not read but I hear details these types of battles).

***

So in addition to a cover, I have an Amazon page for The Navel of the World! It's one thing to sign a book contract. But when your book actually gets a page on Amazon where real live human beings can order it, then it becomes so much more real. (Mom, can you go ahead and order it?)
And in addition to an Amazon page, I'm also going to have a joint book release party on October 10th, 2009 at BookPeople with Jessica Lee Anderson, author of Trudy and the upcoming Border Crossing!

Michelle at The Innocent Flower (who won The Emerald Tablet at The Book Roast last month) posted an awesome review/interview today! If you get a chance, pop over and check it out. She says the nicest things like:
"My husband and I can't wait for the next book, The Navel of the World, to come out this Fall."
Thanks, Michelle!

And speaking of nice things, Beth Revis is being interviewed over at Putting Pen to Paper today, and she also says some nice things about yours truly.
Thanks Beth and Robyn!

These things...they make me happy.

****

For you New Age fans out there, The Emerald Tablet has a rocking review in the latest issue of New Age Retailer (click on CURRENT ISSUE / CONTENT / FINE PRINT). Did you know the Emerald Tablet is a real object from the roots of alchemy?
Okay, you probably did, but I just thought I'd put that out there.
Love this line from the review:
"The childlike wonder this tale inspires is far from childish, as it encourages children to read, fosters an interest in New Age topics, and can be enjoyed by parents and children reading together."
Thanks, New Age Retailer!

****

My very fit buddy, Mizfit is on Yahoo!Shine. Go read all about how meditation can make you less maniacal. I could use some serious meditation time. I've been meaning to incorporate it into my routine for ages. But it hasn't quite hit the surface yet. Soon.

***

On the reading front, if you read my blog this weekend, you know I finished Life of Pi by Yann Martel. The husband started it on my recommendation :) Read this book! Enough said.

In addition, to pump myself up even more for the Star Trek movie, I've been reading I am Spock by (oooh, can you guess this one...) Leonard Nimoy.
It's great and keeping my attention, but it's not a fast read, so I'm going to take a small break and read Heck: Where the Bad Kids Go by Dale E. Basye. Why? It looks darling, and the title rocks.

Happy Monday all the way around!

23 comments:

lotusgirl said...

Great interview over at Michelle's Place. I can't believe the 2nd graders want a kiss. Young love is right. Wow. How things change.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks! Michelle is awesome!
It was hilarious, Lois! They were all so excited about it. But I wonder if it is because they know the characters.

beth said...

OMG I cannot wait for the Star Trek movie!

(and glad you liked the interview! :))

Casey said...

I want them to kiss! I want them to kiss!

There's my say. :)

I love the cover of HECK. Love it!

Kelly H-Y said...

WOOHOOOOOO!!!! Loved seeing 'Navel...' ready for pre-orders on Amazon! Considering how excited I was for you ... I can only imagine what you must be feeling! :-) 'Life of Pi' sounds fascinating!

Angela said...

Congrats, PJ!

I'll be interested to hear what you think of Heck. I couldn't get into it--love the title, the idea, but nope.

Pen Pen said...

I've wondered about 'Life of Pi' since I saw it on my college roommates shelf. I need to go get a copy.

--and I think people underestimate 2nd graders--they can be cruel, loving, and smart to an extent people don't expect from them...at least in my experience :)

PJ Hoover said...

The movie will rock, Beth! As did your interview!

You're too funny, Casey! And the Heck cover is great! I can see where kids would love it!

Thanks, Kelly! It is fun seeing the Amazon page. Yes to Life of Pi!

Oooh, now I'm really excited to read Heck, Angela! I vary so much on what I like and what I don't!

You are exactly right on the 2nd graders, Pen Pen! I'm amazed with them. I think they've hit the age of reason.
Thanks for visiting!

lynn said...

Love Life of Pi. Fabulous book!

Also love the cover for The Navel of the World :)

Solvang Sherrie said...

I am surprised the boys want the kiss! Just goes to show, you never can tell with kids :^)

Congrats on Navel being up on Amazon. Very cool! I'll go put in my pre-order :^)

Kimberly Derting said...

That is hilarious that they rocked the vote in favor of "the kiss"!

And, yeah, I can't wait for THE NAVEL OF THE WORLD either. YAY!!!

Lady Glamis said...

I am SO excited about the Star Trek movie. I can't wait!

Thanks for the great interview and for the book. We really have enjoyed it. And congrats on the Amazon page! Rock on!

I knew those kids would want that kiss, hehe. You have set it up so well.

Windsong said...

Congratulations!

Wow. When I was in second grade, we were all convinced the other gender had cooties. The only contact that was acceptable was a good natured punch in the arm. ;)

Keri Mikulski said...

Lots of great news and a great interview. :) Love it that the second graders want a kiss. :) So sweet.

Miriam S.Forster said...

Aw, dang. Well I was half right. :-)

I haven't flown a kite in way too long, but I really want to. I love kites! And Mary Poppins!

"Lets go fly a kite...."

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Lynn! I'll be excited to see it in print :)

Aw, you're sweet, Sherrie! And those kids are funny. It's a great age! And your website rocks!

Thanks, Kimberly! I wonder if they all wanted the kiss as part of a group mentality and because they thought it was what I wanted to hear.

Thanks, Michelle! Kids get fascinated by the kissing thing even this young (which is good for us kid authors)!

Yeah, I never wanted to kiss anyone in 2nd grade, Windsong. I think for me it was 4th when I first started thinking about it.

Sweet is a perfect word, Keri!

Miriam, I couldn't get that song out of my head the entire day!

Hope everyone is having a great day!

beckylevine said...

They ALL wanted the kiss? I'm pretty sure in my son's 2nd-grade class, there'd have been some loud no's!

Yay for all the good things coming your way. ;)

PJ Hoover said...

I think the class was an anomaly since they're reading book 1, Becky. They were so cute!

Heather Zundel said...

Oh, that is so cute that even the little boys wanted them to kiss! Rock on. And I've been meaning to read Heck. Tell me if it's good!

Stacy Nyikos said...

Big Congrats on the cover! Very cool that it's out there!!!!

PJ Hoover said...

I'll let you know about Heck, Heather! And the boys were darling!

Thanks, Stacy!

adrienne said...

Second graders surprise me.
I also liked the line from your New Age review. Very true!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Adrienne! I was pretty happy with the review, too!