"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Thursday, April 09, 2009

Five on a Friday

Happy Friday all around! We're off to the park to color eggs in the afternoon. I figure it's a good place to make the mess and let the kids run around amidst there peeps (and not the marshmallow ones either).

This Easter Bunny needs to get to the store before Sunday morning. This is my top priority (I mean the Easter Bunny's top priority) for the next two days.

Thanks for all the great feedback on plot vs. character. Personally I found it pretty darned informative. It's neat to see where people fall and where people think they fall.

OK, my five:

1) I spoke to my son's class today. Gave them my Hero's Journey speech. They seemed to enjoy it, and I even sported my The Emerald Tablet t-shirt. Thanks, Laurel Mountain Elementary!

2) Awesome critique partner, Christine Marciniak, author of the upcoming When Mike Kissed Emma, came up with this fun inspirational poster. This I may have to borrow for author presentations. Because revisions are always a fun topic kids ask about.


3) I hit the library today (after the author visit this morning) and spent the rest of the day revising. It is ASTOUNDING how much more I get done there as compared to home. And I had the pleasure of running into awesome Austin author Shana Burg, author of A Thousand Never Evers and her darling son.

4) The speech at the Juvenile Center didn't happen. It accidentally got scheduled for TAKS (standardized tests) day, so we rescheduled for May. This gives me even more time to fine tune my speech.

5) I loved this series of posts on voice over on R. L. LaFevers blog. Buzz on over and check them out here and here!

6) OK, and a bonus extra. I have a working cover for The Forgotten Worlds Book 2: The Navel of the World. Me? I think it's pretty awesome.


Have a great weekend!

25 comments:

Christine M said...

Love the book cover! And thanks for sharing my poster. :)
I think we'll color our eggs on Saturday - and luckily the Easter bunny has completed the shopping (I hope)
Have a great Easter.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Chris! And you're welcome! And you are a very diligent Easter Bunny. I had plans for today, but today disappeared.

beth said...

AH! So cool! Love love love it!

D.A. Riser said...

The Writing Greek definitely salutes your snazzy new cover. Did you take the pic? Even if you didn't, do you happen to know what town the ruins are in?

Have fun being the Easter Bunny!

Jim Danielson said...

Cool cover!!!

Miriam S.Forster said...

Very nice cover!

And I know what you mean about getting stuff done at the library as opposed to home. I was getting so tired of being unmotivated this week that I went to a local pizza joint and spent two hours holed up in a booth writing and revising.

I don't know if it was the copious amounts of soda I consumed but I got a lot done!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Beth! It's so different but also so similar to The Emerald Tablet.

Thanks, Dan! It's a Temple to Hera in Agrigento, Sicily. And no, unfortunately, I did not take the picture!

Thanks, Jim! How's writing?

I think it's the lack of comfort zone distractions, Miriam. At home I hear the dog when she needs to go out, I hear the washing machine when it finishes. All that. And the library or elsewhere, I hear nothing even with all the noise around me.

Kelly H-Y said...

Sounds like you have a fun day planned for tomorrow! So smart to take them to the park for the egg-coloring, thereby sparing the house! :-)
What a thrill it must be for you to see that cover! Wow ... very cool! It looks great!
Loved Christine's poster!
Have a wonderful Easter weekend!

Christina Farley said...

Fabulous cover! You must be thrilled.

Keri Mikulski said...

Love the new cover, PJ!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, thanks, and thanks, Kelly, Christina, and Keri! I do love it!

Rebecca said...

Hurray for author visits (and revisions--we can't live without them).

The book cover looks great!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Rebecca! And revisions are so much nicer when there is solid direction involved!

Have a great weekend!

Casey said...

Sounds like the Easter Bunny is cutting it close over there!

Love the cover, PJ! Very cool!

Kelly said...

Cool cover! My son and I are currently reading The Emerald Tablet together!
I like the revision poster, too!

lotusgirl said...

Love that cover. My classical background makes it a lock for me. I'd pick that book up in about half a second to check it out if I were looking in the bookstore.

I'm going to have to check out that "A thousand Never evers. It looks right down my alley

Lady Glamis said...

*jumps up and down*

I LOVE that cover!!! I really can't wait to read it... *taps foot and waits impatiently*

Solvang Sherrie said...

Love the poster and the book cover - how exciting!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Casey! And the Easter Bunny did good today!

How cool, Kelly! Thanks for letting me know! I appreciate it!

That's really good to hear, Lois, that you'd pick up the book to check it out based on cover! And yes, check out A Thousand Never Evers!

Thanks, Michelle! It's nice to have the cover. Now I can get my butt in gear and start posting it various places!

Thanks, Sherrie!

Happy Weekend, all!

Vivian said...

Very cool cover, PJ! Congrats!

C.R. Evers said...

Awesome cover! I hope you had tons of fun coloring eggs! :0) Happy Easter!

Christy

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Vivian and Christy! And coloring eggs was fun and didn't even come close to a mess at home!

Don Tate II said...

Thanks, it was great seeing you today, too. What a fun time!

Devon Ellington said...

I love that cover! Wow!

We're getting reports about horrible fires in Oklahoma -- are you okay?

PJ Hoover said...

It was a blast, Don!

Thanks, Devon! We had a ton of smoke on Friday from the fires, but no flames here. Seriously. 4 hours south and the sky was hazy all day and it smelled like a fireplace.

Happy Monday!